Why the right hair product is critical to creating the illusion of density

I see so many posts from people with thinning hair and they’re putting a wet or wet look product in their hair that is working against them, making their hair look so much thinner and showing too much scalp. This is applies to people who haven’t gotten a hair transplant, or they got one and it wasn’t enough coverage, or the growing is still ongoing. But in any case, using the wrong product is going to make your hair look worse. 

I had a hair transplant 7 months ago on the hair line and crown. My crown is not filled in all the way yet, and my mid scalp is thinner as part of the balding process. But by using the right product, I can increase the illusion of density. 

The below posts will show pictures of my hair on the same day with various products - wet with no product, dry but with a shiny wet look product, and two different dry/matte look products that add the look of volume and density. As you will see the difference is substantial. 

if others find this useful, maybe @Melvin-Moderatorwill make this a sticky or make a post of his own with my pictures. 

Edited by EvoXOhio
  • Like 2

Dry hair, with a dry/matte wax in my hair. Virtually no visible scalp showing on mid scalp. Crown still has some due to me only being 7 months out after my transplant, and have not achieved full growth yet. But scalp is not as visible as wet it wet look product. 

7CE25995-EEA4-447C-A65B-B1462FED91A8.jpeg

0EE8DC8E-9813-4363-B594-09BCAABF69D1.jpeg

Dry hair, with a styling powder in my hair. Virtually no visible scalp showing on mid scalp. Crown still has some due to me only being 7 months out after my transplant, and have not achieved full growth yet. But scalp is not as visible as wet it wet look product. 

56C18AAC-002A-42E8-9F2E-71851B44F9B6.jpeg

1CE1E34B-E0E1-4CF2-9999-5619FEB6ABAD.jpeg

On my opinion I think the styling powder creates the best illusion of density, but it does leave the hair quite dry. The wax provides almost equal amounts of density, but feels less dry. I go back and forth between the two products. 

• Administrators

Great idea, let’s get some more contributions and I’ll make it a sticky. Recently @Aftermath and @aaron1234 were talking about Aveda hair products. Just ordered mine. Have you tried hair fibers or concealers?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just started using this, Billy Jealously. It's like a wax(?) but basically it gives you the ability to shape your hair with volume without the negative effects of gel, or other waxes that create a see through look. This stuff is also incredible, it's a shine spray. Gives appearance that your hair is totally geled. The downside is that it neutralizes things like hair spray, so after you apply it, apply some hair spray for hold. American Crew light hold gel is also a staple in my bathroom. Lately, though, I've been mostly using the Billy Jealously stuff. Switched to that after using Melvin's Redken Maneuver (which has since been rebranded to something else) forever. Billy Jealously gives the apperance of dry hair while also giving you a lot of flexibility in terms of shape, volume.

Another product I've been using, and honestly love, is .Tint Brand I like it a lot more than Dermatch. So much easier and less messy to apply. Love out portable it is, too. If you're a fan of Dermatch I highly suggest you check out Tint Brand. Odds are you'll use it even if you're a fan of Dermatch; it could also work as something to apply when you want to quickly run out the door and not deal with wetting, applying, blow drying of Dermatch.

Still tinkering around with my hair following second procedure. It's gotten a lot thicker after just nearly four months (114 days) and I'm trying to figure out best way to style right now. It's sorta fun, but also expensive as I'm buying a lot of products on a whim to try out.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Coady said:

What Styling powder do you use ?

^this also do you notice a difference from fibers?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Good advice - with my fine light blond hair, I cannot use ANY styling gels because it just gets a plastered down look.  I've only recent tried Fibers for my crown and it's doing a fine job.  Good topic and great pics, EvoXOhio. 

• Thanks 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great idea, let’s get some more contributions and I’ll make it a sticky. Recently @Aftermath and @aaron1234 were talking about Aveda hair products. Just ordered mine. Have you tried hair fibers or concealers?

I have not used any fibers or concealers. I don’t think I will need to given how well my HT is going so far. 

4 hours ago, Coady said:

What Styling powder do you use ?

I bought this one from Amazon based on reviews. No idea if it’s the best or if they’re all the same: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNJRLY5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_K486ZG558WQB3RRQM7B1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by EvoXOhio

Just now, EvoXOhio said:

I have not used any fibers or concealers. I don’t think I will need to given how well my HT is going so far. 

That's probably the case for a lot of people around here, but, you know, we like to check our hair under the brightest and harshest light from all angles 😂

• Haha 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

4 hours ago, Egy said:

@EvoXOhio and @champybabyIt would be nice if you could make some videos while applying the various products and showed them well.

I don’t do anything special really so not sure a video would help. For the wax I put a fingernail size on, run through my hair, comb it out, then tossle and style it with my fingers. 

for the powder I spray about 4 pumps on, run through hair and do same process as with wax. 

• Confused 1

Yes over the years I have experimented and became educated about proper hair drying, products, sprays, etc. and I can say that my hair may appear better than when I first realized I was balding. 

This is dangerous though, I became so used to my hair fullness that I thought the finasteride was working. When I tried to style my hair with the same product and style that I used 3 years ago, I immediately cancelled my hair transplant.  I would hate to think of where I would be five years from now if I had a transplant after tricking myself into thinking my hair loss stabilized.

Very good advice and topic here. I even have to use different products based on how long or short my hair is. I can get by with something heavier like a wax when it's freshly cut/short, but once it starts getting longer, I need something lighter. As for creating the illusion of density, it's going to vary from person to person based on their hair type, although gels typically aren't going to be good for anyone who's trying to conceal hair loss or thinning. 

Something I've found that really helps add volume and density is a Sea Salt spray. Apply it when wet then blow dry it and it really adds lots of volume... And then you can follow up with a pomade, paste, etc. to add some texture and style. 

As for products, I've bounced around a lot since my scalp has a tendency to be sensitive, and I often end up having allergic reactions to most products. What I've been using most consistently over the past year or so though is Blind Barber's product line. Happy to elaborate on their different products if anyone is interested (though I'm by no means a professional when it comes to styling my hair. Lol.) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

23 minutes ago, pkipling said:

Something I've found that really helps add volume and density is a Sea Salt spray. Apply it when wet then blow dry it and it really adds lots of volume... And then you can follow up with a pomade, paste, etc. to add some texture and style. 

That’s funny because I had the exact opposite effect from sea salt spray. I had heard it would add volume and reduce frizz (my hair is naturally frizzy and wiry), so I bought some. It does make it look a lot smoother, but it drastically reduced my volume and made my hair look flat, and I had noticeable visible scalp in the mid region. 

That being said, I applied mine to towel dried hair, I didn’t do it wet and blow dry like you said. I don’t have a blow dryer to even test it out. I may have to find a way to try it because it was the one product that made my hair look noticeably less wiry. 

On 2/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, champybaby said:

I just started using this, Billy Jealously. It's like a wax(?) but basically it gives you the ability to shape your hair with volume without the negative effects of gel, or other waxes that create a see through look. This stuff is also incredible, it's a shine spray. Gives appearance that your hair is totally geled. The downside is that it neutralizes things like hair spray, so after you apply it, apply some hair spray for hold. American Crew light hold gel is also a staple in my bathroom. Lately, though, I've been mostly using the Billy Jealously stuff. Switched to that after using Melvin's Redken Maneuver (which has since been rebranded to something else) forever. Billy Jealously gives the apperance of dry hair while also giving you a lot of flexibility in terms of shape, volume.

Another product I've been using, and honestly love, is .Tint Brand I like it a lot more than Dermatch. So much easier and less messy to apply. Love out portable it is, too. If you're a fan of Dermatch I highly suggest you check out Tint Brand. Odds are you'll use it even if you're a fan of Dermatch; it could also work as something to apply when you want to quickly run out the door and not deal with wetting, applying, blow drying of Dermatch.

Still tinkering around with my hair following second procedure. It's gotten a lot thicker after just nearly four months (114 days) and I'm trying to figure out best way to style right now. It's sorta fun, but also expensive as I'm buying a lot of products on a whim to try out.

Which billy jealousy product do you use?

They seem to have a lot of different ones.

Thanks

I think I have a new favorite product. I think it does an equally good job as the others for the illusion of density, but it allows me to wear my hair with more or the messy look. Not the best pictures but you get the idea. 

you have to be careful with this stuff. Too much and your hair becomes dried stuck together sections of hair, similar to if you used a bunch of hair gel and it dried. But with this stuff it dries immediately. I suggest setting with a dime sized amount, run it all through your hair evenly, then use your fingers to move your hair around to break up some of the stiff hairs. 

F9D899CE-AE27-46F3-977D-A3AC3DAF2244.jpeg

24B0DFFB-1A9B-4752-AA27-06D32A05FE46.jpeg

1D97759D-2ABB-4C94-9A04-41F51D148AAF.jpeg

F0073ECF-EE51-426F-BC6D-1EE75DF84213.jpeg

7E773D22-FDB4-46CC-B3B7-2ED0A79BA783.jpeg

• Moderators

I find it interesting that so many men use products in their hair other than hair growth stuff like minoxidil. I have never used any hair product.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I find it interesting that so many men use products in their hair other than hair growth stuff like minoxidil. I have never used any hair product.

Everyone’s hair is different. I’m Jewish by birth so I have very wiry frizzy wavy hair. I hate it. Without any product it looks ridiculous and it can’t be styled well at any length. Some people have hair with great texture and consistency, others like myself don’t. I wish I had hair that didn’t require product  

Additionally, as this thread pointed out, if the right products are used it can make your hair look thicker, which is of great use to those of us here since this is a hair loss site.