Is the Norwood scale a sufficient measure of hairloss?

kirkland

Hairloss patterns follow some general rules but determining where your type of hairloss fits on the Norwood scale is not always clear. When I have had consultations with hair transplant surgeons (or their reps), I have been told that I am anywhere between a Norwood 4 and 7.  Clearly I am not at either end of those parameters. A Norwood 5A, 5V or 6 seem a better reflection of my hairloss degree. But do you think that the classification system is not a sufficient measure of hairloss?

20200218_201246.jpg

To me that looks like a 5a. I do know what you mean though, not everyone’s hair will follow the Norwood levels. 
Something that was introduced in the 50s and updated in the 70s needs a 2020s update/review.

Edited by JohnAC71

11 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

To me that looks like a 5a. I do know what you mean though, not everyone’s hair will follow the Norwood levels. 
Something that was introduced in the 50s and updated in the 70s needs a 2020s update/review.

If someone is suggesting N7 that could be a projection of where he winds up, not where he is at now.  Which is an important distinction when planning surgery, knowing the hair loss end point.

• Administrators

Can you take a picture of the crown. I would categorize you as a 6 with high sides. But the crown will determine whether you're a 5 or 6. You're definitely not a 7.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.