Dr. Pekiner - 1805 grafts - Feb 1 2021

4 hours ago, HairyGuy said:

@giegnosiganoe thank you for your response and it is much appreciated. I am also curious as in how was your trip coming back? I mean on flight with all the sore? 

I flew back on day 5 post op. Considering the total travel time was ~17 hours, I wanted to recover for a few days to play it safe. Didn't have any issues while flying, it was just long.

4 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Didn’t you say you had DUPA? How is that DUPA looks like a thick healthy donor

Different doctors may have different definitions for DUPA, for example here's Lorenzo's:

959306909_ScreenShot2021-07-15at2_18_48PM.thumb.png.e78ac493d07d6d9a0b86351a2ece498c.png

Every person falls on a scale relative to the above factors. After passing one of those thresholds, you may be considered to have DUPA. I bought a USB microscope, recorded some pics/videos, and shared them with doctors. Many of them noted greater than average miniaturization, but said I didn't have DUPA yet. In the early stages, it can be difficult to detect - perhaps more so via pictures. But I most certainly have a thinner than average donor, and I know it used to be denser 5+ years ago. If I were to get off of the DHT blockers, I would likely end up with DUPA.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

I flew back on day 5 post op. Considering the total travel time was ~17 hours, I wanted to recover for a few days to play it safe. Didn't have any issues while flying, it was just long.

Different doctors may have different definitions for DUPA, for example here's Lorenzo's:

959306909_ScreenShot2021-07-15at2_18_48PM.thumb.png.e78ac493d07d6d9a0b86351a2ece498c.png

Every person falls on a scale relative to the above factors. After passing one of those thresholds, you may be considered to have DUPA. I bought a USB microscope, recorded some pics/videos, and shared them with doctors. Many of them noted greater than average miniaturization, but said I didn't have DUPA yet. In the early stages, it can be difficult to detect - perhaps more so via pictures. But I most certainly have a thinner than average donor, and I know it used to be denser 5+ years ago. If I were to get off of the DHT blockers, I would likely end up with DUPA.

Interesting observations!

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

6 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

What was the percentage of miniaturization in your donor?

3 minutes ago, RandoBrando517 said:

What was the percentage of miniaturization in your donor?

It's hard to say since my microscope wasn't of the highest quality. I never counted or was told a specific percentage, but several clinics did say it was higher than average. For example:

• Hasson - "Dr. Hasson felt there was more miniaturization than the typical 10-15% and therefore a procedure would involve a bit more risk."
  • Bisanga - More miniaturization in the donor than they would like to see for someone my age, and suggested an in-person consultation
  • Ferreira - Said my donor isn't great, but that I'm far from DUPA, and that my prognosis is good
  • Rassman/Bernstein - said I have more thinning than average but not yet DUPA, suggested I wait a few years, but said I could get a small HT
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Tbf, after reading your backdrop in your initial post, I was expecting your pre op photos to be a lot worse. It read like a horror story! 

You just on DUT and no FINA? 

Haha, well I think the photos from 1 month post op are more telling with regards to the diffuse thinning and crown loss.

That's correct, no fin.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Month 6. Very happy with the results.

As you should be! 😉

• Thanks 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Pephair said:

How has the oral minox 1.25mg day/night been working for you?

Any changes on your hairline?

I assume the OM is doing something but it's difficult to visually assess. As for side effects, I assume the pedal edema is still there, and not sure if I mentioned here but it does seem to have lowered my blood pressure a bit. I believe it used to be ~120/80, and now it's ~120/60. Could be because I've been a lot more physically active since getting on it and I'm a heavy sweater. Not sure if I'll be staying on it long term, but a bit afraid to get off of it right now.

Can't say I've noticed any changes to my hair over the past month. Maybe a couple shorter hairs here and there that are catching up to the rest. I'm at the tail end now.

Side note: Gotta say I absolutely love getting haircuts nowadays. I always used to go about 3 months between haircuts, even in my late teens/early 20s. Now I've been going every 3 weeks, and feel like a million bucks every time. The high frequency is partly needed to camouflage the retrograde at the temple points/nape.

• Like 1

@giegnosiganoecongratulations on your 6 months results!

Pekiner achieved a dense pack home run and you have 6 more months of growth.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

Thanks! I'd been using dutasteride for over a year before my transplant, and switched from topical to oral minoxidil after my transplant.

What made you switch to dut if finasteride was working? At what age did you start consulting about a hair transplant?

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Inch6 said:

Wow so good result. How did you Contact Dr Pekiners, I cannot find his website?

Please send a pm if you’re asking this question. We do not allow links. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, Dillpickle123 said:

What made you switch to dut if finasteride was working? At what age did you start consulting about a hair transplant?

Dutasteride works better with similar rates of side effects. Unfortunately I developed gynecomastia after ~1.5 years on the it (was on finasteride for 6 months before that), so I switched back to finasteride and am on raloxifene. I don't have nipple sensitivity anymore, and the gyno is not as obvious as it was at its peak, but the growth is still there and so I plan to get gyno surgery soon.

I started looking into hair transplants at the start of 2021.

20 hours ago, Inch6 said:

Wow so good result. How did you Contact Dr Pekiners, I cannot find his website?

Thank you! I'm not sure what's going on with that TBH. I have his patient coordinator's WhatsApp, if you PM me I could send it to you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Dutasteride works better with similar rates of side effects. Unfortunately I developed gynecomastia after ~1.5 years on the it (was on finasteride for 6 months before that), so I switched back to finasteride and am on raloxifene. I don't have nipple sensitivity anymore, and the gyno is not as obvious as it was at its peak, but the growth is still there and so I plan to get gyno surgery soon.

Thank you! I'm not sure what's going on with that TBH. I have his patient coordinator's WhatsApp, if you PM me I could send it to you.

Thank you I've sent PM

45 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

You tried raloxifene too! It seems us young guys tend to get worse gyno with fin it  didn’t work for me unfortunately but I already had gyno to begin with but finasteride did make it worse so add that to the list of problems lol

• 1 month later...