Driving four hours day after FUE?

williamsburgh

Hi everyone,

First, just want to say thank you to everyone on this forum. What a tremendous resource. I have lots of anxiety about this procedure and really appreciate 

I live in Boston and am having FUE in New York next month. I was thinking of driving home the day after my procedure, roughly four hours.

Does that sound like a good or terrible idea? It seems like from other posts I should be fine in terms of pain the next day, but would like to check.

Thank you!

• Like 2

What doctor are you going with? You should ask them their thoughts. I've had FUT but am assuming the same principle applies - don't damage the donor area or the grafts. I think you'll be fine to drive (I walked around Manhattan the next day after mine) but you should avoid your head touching the head rest when you're driving as that could affect the donor.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

You should be fine driving the day after the procedure. They may give you a benzodiazepine for anxiety prior to your procedure and reputable clinics will tell you not to drive the same day and it will be a low dose probably. You picked a great surgeon in @Dr. Robert Dorin

Please keep the community posted on your journey and happy growing buddy!

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

You should be fine driving the day after the procedure. They may give you a benzodiazepine for anxiety prior to your procedure and reputable clinics will tell you not to drive the same day and it will be a low dose probably. You picked a great surgeon in @Dr. Robert Dorin

Please keep the community posted on your journey and happy growing buddy!

Thank you so much, Dr. Khokhar! I look forward to posting updates.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I drove roughly six hours from LA to San Jose. You should have someone with you though, just cause right after surgery you may be a little loopy. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Glad you’re waiting for the next day to travel.  You should be fine by then.  Be careful the first night.  I was given a mild sleeping aide so I wouldn’t be active in my sleep with those fresh grafts in place.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If you are staying in NY over night then take advantage of True & Dorin's free cleaning and checkup the morning after the surgery. Knowing they took a look at it will make you feel better in the weeks afterwards. I hate driving in NY, so I took a bus to the Port Authority bus terminal on 40th st. The cheapest hotel in the area is usually Candlewood Suites on 39th. From there I just walk a few blocks to the Drs office near the corner of 37th and 7th.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I drove 14 hours after my last FUE (over the course of two days), so yeah 4 hours won't be a problem.  I would definitely plan on having a clean up at the clinic the morning after though, maybe even two mornings after if you can.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group