**PIC Inside*** 29 year old considering HT

See attached pic for my Hairloss.

It is obvious that i've done nothing about my hair loss. I've seen people with 2,3,4 hair transplants..

My question is that i don't want that many sessions. I want to get one mega session be done with it.

Can the experts here shed some light on my question?

Why would i want 2 smaller sessions vs 1 mega session?

what are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks.

Top2.jpg.74d07cb015527f99ceb69c393373763f.jpg

sshaikh01,

First of all, there is no quick solution to HT. You have extensive hair loss, an NW6 on norwood scale. You could even be NW7 in years to come. You need at least 6000 grafts to achieve a decent head of hair. You will most likely need more than one session.

Most average mega sessions are between 3000 to 5000 grafts. To get more than that you will need to have excellent elasticity.

I hope this helps a little. Im sure others will add on their thoughts.

Originally posted by phil mascallpen:

You don't want two smaller sessions. With the extent of your hairloss you would want one mega-session. I think you should wait though and try finasteride for at least 10 months first. You might have good enough results that you don't even need an HT.

Hi Phill,

Is it really possible? I am in a similar situation as the poster, so I was wondering if I should also try finasteride first. Is it the same as Propecia? Any side-effects?

Thanks

Originally posted by Creative79:

Hi Phill,

Is it really possible? I am in a similar situation as the poster, so I was wondering if I should also try finasteride first. Is it the same as Propecia? Any side-effects?

Thanks

Having looked at the picture I don't think propecia would do enough to give an un-balding look. I think it could work well to thicken up the existing hair. At best, however, I think propecia would only help maybe reduce the number of sessions this person needs (maybe from 6000+ grafts to 5000).

I could be wrong; some people have good results on propecia. But considering most people only really manage to maintain on propecia it would be unlikely this person would get a staggering amount of hair back. Getting on propecia would certainly keep what hair is left, however, and that could only help when it came to limiting the number or size of procedures.

Originally posted by sshaikh01:

It is obvious that i've done nothing about my hair loss. I've seen people with 2,3,4 hair transplants..

My question is that i don't want that many sessions. I want to get one mega session be done with it.

Thanks.

sshaikh01,

DOn't be fooled by the false promises that are so easily given to get u hooked in this money scheme business of hair transplant world.

You will easily need more than one transplant and there is no way to avoid it.

Make sure u are well informed and understand what u are getting yourself into.

mp96

Phil mascallpen, you can't be serious telling sshaikh01 "try finasteride for at least 10 months first. You might have good enough results that you don't even need an HT"

When have you ever seen finasteride aka Propecia fill in that much baldness??? That's just b.s.

Thanks.

Its hard to predict results. You should go for as large a first session as possible, and plan for an additional 1,2 procedures.

Cost will be around 25-35K.

You look like you have coarse hair, so you should get a good result.

If you have the cash and realistic expectations, then it can be a positive experience.

Its a numbers game.

Originally posted by TheEmperor:

Thanks.

Its hard to predict results. You should go for as large a first session as possible, and plan for an additional 1,2 procedures.

Cost will be around 25-35K.

You look like you have coarse hair, so you should get a good result.

If you have the cash and realistic expectations, then it can be a positive experience.

Its a numbers game.

Thanks.

Yep.. I'm anticipating the first session to be a 5K plus one..

Thanks everyone..

I just need to accept the truth..

ouch it hurts.. icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by Creative79:

Hi Phill,

Thanks

Is it likely or common? No, but it is possible. I'm 47 and in only 6 months on 1.25mg proscar eod I've filled in a 3 inch bald/thin spot on my crown. Obviously the OP has much less hair than I started with BUT he's much younger and proscar is supposed to be more effective in younger men. After being on these boards for years I've come to the conclusion that many of the best HTs are ACTUALLY a combination of a great HT doctor and a great response to proscar.

The point is until you try it and give it enough time you'll never know if you're one of the few guys who gets an excellent response. And since you'll likely be told by your HT doctor that they recommend you go on it anyway why not find out what it will do for you before going under the knife. Maybe your crown and middle comes back and that reduces the size of the HT you need by 2/3 because now you can focus your HT on the front 1/3. Maybe it's more, maybe it's less but is there a good reason to not try it before getting an HT?

Here's a link to my pics. Take a look and I'll tell you that not only has it filled in that spot but all my other hair on top has gotten way thicker as well.

http://philmascallpen.blogspot...ied-beforeafter.html