Experience using online physician app for meds.

CosmoKramer

So, I’ve decided to give one of those online physician app services a try in attempting to obtain a prescription for generic oral minoxidil, as I would like to give that a try in conjunction with my microneedling as I’ve completely stopped using liquid and foam Minox back 4-5 months ago, was just too annoying and messy and causing too much dandruff for me.

Thought I’d share my experience..

I decided to use the HeyDoctor app which for a flat fee offers a virtual doctor evaluation and treatment with prescriptions if approved.

The process was fairly simple and easy, you creat an account, choose a condition you are seeking help with from a fairly good varied list that tells you upfront what the fee for the “consultation” is, you create your profile, upload some photos and a photo of an ID, answer some health questions, comment on what type of previous treatment was done and what you’re seeking, you then wait a short period of time for one of their doctors to look over your submission and communicate in the apps chat txt feature, all took about 10-15 minutes.

I was offered a prescription for Finasteride (90-day supply with 3 additional fills) which I accepted, but my main reason was to seek a prescription for oral generic minoxidil 2.5mg. Unfortunately, they replied that it was not a prescription they offered, I was disappointed.

In the app I did have them send the Finasteride to my local Costco, for pickup, and was pleasantly surprised at how low the price was for a 90-day supply of 1mg generic Fin ($14.50 but minus the app coupon code which brought it down to $11.99 total), the virtual consultation was a flat one time fee of $39. The prescription comes with 3 addition 90-day refills, for a full year supply, so total about $87 which is a great deal...and an even better deal if I decide to split the 1mg to do microdosing at 0.5mg...in effect $87 for 2 years, although I am going to initially use the tablets to make a fin topical a see how that goes for a few months.

Its definitely a very good simple, cost effective service to use (in the US) if one is looking for a way to get Fin cheaply instead of through a subscription service.

1 hour ago, CosmoKramer said:

So, I’ve decided to give one of those online physician app services a try in attempting to obtain a prescription for generic oral minoxidil, as I would like to give that a try in conjunction with my microneedling as I’ve completely stopped using liquid and foam Minox back 4-5 months ago, was just too annoying and messy and causing too much dandruff for me.

I decided to use the HeyDoctor app which for a flat fee offers a virtual doctor evaluation and treatment with prescriptions if approved.

The process was fairly simple and easy, you creat an account, choose a condition you are seeking help with from a fairly good varied list that tells you upfront what the fee for the “consultation” is, you create your profile, upload some photos and a photo of an ID, answer some health questions, comment on what type of previous treatment was done and what you’re seeking, you then wait a short period of time for one of their doctors to look over your submission and communicate in the apps chat txt feature, all took about 10-15 minutes.

I was offered a prescription for Finasteride (90-day supply with 3 additional fills) which I accepted, but my main reason was to seek a prescription for oral generic minoxidil 2.5mg. Unfortunately, they replied that it was not a prescription they offered, I was disappointed.

In the app I did have them send the Finasteride to my local Costco, for pickup, and was pleasantly surprised at how low the price was for a 90-day supply of 1mg generic Fin ($14.50 but minus the app coupon code which brought it down to $11.99 total), the virtual consultation was a flat one time fee of $39. The prescription comes with 3 addition 90-day refills, for a full year supply, so total about $87 which is a great deal...and an even better deal if I decide to split the 1mg to do microdosing at 0.5mg...in effect $87 for 2 years, although I am going to initially use the tablets to make a fin topical a see how that goes for a few months.

Its definitely a very good simple, cost effective service to use (in the US) if one is looking for a way to get Fin cheaply instead of through a subscription service.

If You want to start taking oral minoxidil

-I thing it would be wise to visit a cardiologist and have consult with him a little.

Im also thinking about switching to oral minoxidil

-but before that I will definetly do a cardic examination.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Suzuki sz said:

If You want to start taking oral minoxidil

-I thing it would be wise to visit a cardiologist and have consult with him a little.

Im also thinking about switching to oral minoxidil

-but before that I will definetly do a cardic examination.

Thanks for the comment. 
Yeah, I thought about that as well but I was thinking since I used topical heavily before and that I would cut the daily dose to only take 1.25mg a day that the side effects would likely be nil...in my case.

Edited by CosmoKramer
  • Like 1

I recently started fin. I wanted to go to my dermatologist but I think they had a COVID outbreak in the office and so I wasn’t able to get a appointment. So I tried the subscription services. I went with Roman, it’s $40 for the first 90 then $60 for next. It was similar to your experience I answered a bunch of questions sent photos in and waited for them get back, which was the next day by email letting me know a doctor is available for video chat. It took about five minutes. Received the pills in about 4 or 5 days. It is a bit expensive so I am going to cancel the next renewal and probably go the route you went, since it’s seem so much cheaper. Actually when sign up with Roman they actually give the option to send the prescription to your  pharmacy of choice but I didn’t know where to send it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I use Keeps for fin, works good and discreet, which is super important to me.

I used keeps when it became first available, I’m not knocking these services, they definitely serve a purpose, but in my view they are charging a bit much for basic otc generic Minox and generic fin....but if you’re fine shelling out the extra cash for the service then more power to you.

6 hours ago, Domino said:

I recently started fin. I wanted to go to my dermatologist but I think they had a COVID outbreak in the office and so I wasn’t able to get a appointment. So I tried the subscription services. I went with Roman, it’s $40 for the first 90 then $60 for next. It was similar to your experience I answered a bunch of questions sent photos in and waited for them get back, which was the next day by email letting me know a doctor is available for video chat. It took about five minutes. Received the pills in about 4 or 5 days. It is a bit expensive so I am going to cancel the next renewal and probably go the route you went, since it’s seem so much cheaper. Actually when sign up with Roman they actually give the option to send the prescription to your  pharmacy of choice but I didn’t know where to send it. 

If you download the GoodRx app you can enter Finasteride and your zip code if in the US and it will provide you with a list of your local pharmacies with their prices to choose from....then if Roman does allow the transfer of the prescription to your choice of pharmacy it sounds like a reasonable thing to do as well.

I went poking around my Roman account looking for a way to transfer my prescription, didnt see a way right off but saw “receive $60 credit” under cancellation tab, which is the cost of the next refill. So I guess they got me for another 90 days after this supply runs out lol

43 minutes ago, Domino said:

I went poking around my Roman account looking for a way to transfer my prescription, didnt see a way right off but saw “receive $60 credit” under cancellation tab, which is the cost of the next refill. So I guess they got me for another 90 days after this supply runs out lol

Nice! Thats something at least. 👍🏻

10 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

I used keeps when it became first available, I’m not knocking these services, they definitely serve a purpose, but in my view they are charging a bit much for basic otc generic Minox and generic fin....but if you’re fine shelling out the extra cash for the service then more power to you.

Yea it’s the convenience factor, I’m too embarrassed to go in person.

13 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

I hear ya, although, you shouldn’t feel embarrassed...everyone and their younger brother seems to be getting on Fin lately, the pharmacist was a woman and I did not feel any type of embarrassment standing there getting the prescription filled and chatting, but that’s me, no hate from me for people whom might feel differently.

Edited by CosmoKramer

13 hours ago, RandoBrando517 said:

Embarrassed?  Bruh everyones taking this stuff from presidents to celebrities. And on top of that who cares. Its hairloss its not like any of that is on you really. 

On 2/16/2021 at 4:06 AM, CosmoKramer said:

Thanks for all that legwork.

To get oral minox, I basically called a few local hair restoration clinics after a google search.  I ask directly if they prescribed it. Out of five clinics, only one was willing to write for it — the Dr. answered his own phone !

Honest question though: should I have gotten Loniten ?  My prescription literally says “Minoxidil 2.5 mg” on the bottle.  Received some mixed messages about which product works.

Anyway, hope you’ll have similar luck, depending on your location. There’s some chill doctor out there who accepts free consults and will hear you out on minox.

Btw were those Fin tablets individually wrapped in “blister packaging” or were they all condensed in one bottle?

On 2/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, RandoBrando517 said:

I used to case pharmacies and profile the cashiers before buying Rogaine.  Or try to sneak it in among 10 other items.

Soon enough you’ll stop caring about the small moment of judgment aka you get too old, tired, and/or married 

1 hour ago, Harry Bosch said:

Thanks for all that legwork.

To get oral minox, I basically called a few local hair restoration clinics after a google search.  I ask directly if they prescribed it. Out of five clinics, only one was willing to write for it — the Dr. answered his own phone !

Honest question though: should I have gotten Loniten ?  My prescription literally says “Minoxidil 2.5 mg” on the bottle.  Received some mixed messages about which product works.

Anyway, hope you’ll have similar luck, depending on your location. There’s some chill doctor out there who accepts free consults and will hear you out on minox.

Btw were those Fin tablets individually wrapped in “blister packaging” or were they all condensed in one bottle?

Glad to help.

Thanks! That sounds like a good route to go as well to try and get a prescription for oral Minox, I may try that.

As for the brand name vs generic Minox, I wouldn’t be too concerned as it’s highly likely the same main ingredient since it’s now off patent and used for a long while.

The Fin from Costco was in a bottle not in a blister pack.

1 hour ago, Harry Bosch said:

I used to case pharmacies and profile the cashiers before buying Rogaine.  Or try to sneak it in among 10 other items.

Soon enough you’ll stop caring about the small moment of judgment aka you get too old, tired, and/or married 

Haha...we’ve all been there but now it’s so omnipresent that so many are openly using it there’s no need for worry...I highly doubt the cashiers or pharmacists care once u walk away.