How many grafts are needed for my second procedure?

fuzz916

Hello everyone. I am 37 years old. I had an FUE procedure done about 1.5 years ago from a local Doctor in Northern California(not a super experienced Doctor). 2300 grafts were placed. He dropped my hairline quite nicely, but the density is lacking. I knew I wouldn’t get the proper density on the first try because of how receded my hairline was. How many more grafts do you think I will need for my second procedure? I plan on getting a couple of consults from few of the popular docs in FUE.

The pics were taken in a nicely lit room.

94138AD0-70AC-4E7B-9580-CDB1DFF4A012.jpeg

FD5F6312-FD9D-40F4-80D7-0C205F128E04.jpeg

DE6CE3A7-3B39-41CA-9FD7-2026D04DE0E3.jpeg

E8A2FA56-5973-4A9A-9AF8-1F84B326C2F0.jpeg

• Administrators

Can you share a before picture? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Have read through your old threads... seems like you didn't take the good advice members gave here, you could have probably got a great result first time and not needed a second transplant.

Despite this, looks like it wasn't a complete disaster. Go with a good doctor this time and it should work out nicely. How's your crown? 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, fuzz916 said:

Tommy.  I did not listen and really should have.  Went with convenience. Lesson learned.  Crown does need help as well.

Lesson learned indeed. This time around best to choose a surgeon that can dense-pack. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I’m in interested in this because it seems with some cases , when going for a second op to add density , it takes a while to get back to the original state pre 2nd ht. why is it that some people look worse after the second ht than they did before the first ? 

I’m really not aware of people looking worse after the 2nd surgery.  I had an additional 2,000 grafts in the front area 2 years after my first surgery and everything looked great during the healing process and growing period.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 9 months later...

Hey there. Any status updates on what you decided to do? I also live somewhat close to Josh Crose and was thinking of going with him. He says all the right things on his site, youtube videos, and the consultation. He's very affordable by American standards (price isn't the most important of course). 

I'm a 25 year old Norwood 3 with some temple recession that I would like to solve (density is pretty important). I've been getting 1500-2000 graft estimates from clinics here in America (Crose said the same). He said he would do 45 grafts per square centimeter, which I think is in the normal range of most clinics, but I also have heard 50.  Here are my temples https://imgur.com/a/uhSqfP8

I like his before/after results on his site/instagram in terms of design and hair placement, however it seems somewhat common that the density is possibly a little lacking, and discovering your post makes it seem like a trend with him. I don't know if his after posts are too soon after the transplants, or that he goes for a natural thinner look for older guys (playing it too safe?). He could also not be experienced/good enough. Perhaps fast forward to present day and years of more experience he's much better, but that seems risky to just assume. Maybe the fact his estimate is right in line with every other clinic is a good sign? Also some of the after pics on his insta he says in the description 1 of 2 procedures, meaning it's understandable density is lacking. 

Did you shop around before deciding with Crose? I'm only filling in my temples to achieve baseline look, you moved your hairline up, which does make 2300 grafts not seem like enough considering I'm getting upwards of 2000 estimates for what I think is a smaller procedure. 

Lastly, did you follow up with Crose? Does he offer any discount or free touchups for suboptimal results? Was it understood you would have a good amount of density in the new hair?

Edited by wonderful_derp

• Administrators
15 hours ago, wonderful_derp said:

Hey there. Any status updates on what you decided to do? I also live somewhat close to Josh Crose and was thinking of going with him. He says all the right things on his site, youtube videos, and the consultation. He's very affordable by American standards (price isn't the most important of course). 

I'm a 25 year old Norwood 3 with some temple recession that I would like to solve (density is pretty important). I've been getting 1500-2000 graft estimates from clinics here in America (Crose said the same). He said he would do 45 grafts per square centimeter, which I think is in the normal range of most clinics, but I also have heard 50.  Here are my temples https://imgur.com/a/uhSqfP8

I like his before/after results on his site/instagram in terms of design and hair placement, however it seems somewhat common that the density is possibly a little lacking, and discovering your post makes it seem like a trend with him. I don't know if his after posts are too soon after the transplants, or that he goes for a natural thinner look for older guys. He could also not be experienced/good enough. Perhaps fast forward to present day and years of more experience he's much better, but that seems risky to just assume. Maybe the fact his estimate is right in line with every other clinic is a good sign? Also some of the after pics on his insta he says in the description 1 of 2 procedures, meaning it's understandable density is lacking. 

Did you shop around before deciding with Crose? I'm only filling in my temples to achieve baseline look, you moved your hairline up, which does make 2300 grafts not seem like enough considering I'm getting upwards of 2000 estimates for what I think is a smaller procedure. 

Lastly, did you follow up with Crose? Does he offer any discount or free touchups for suboptimal results? Was it understood you would have a good amount of density in the new hair?

You joined specifically to defend a surgeon? 🤔 

• Haha 1

View my thread

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You joined specifically to defend a surgeon? 🤔 

Quite the opposite. I don't want to get a botched result. I flat out said maybe Crose isn't good. 

Yes I speculated OP didn't get enough grafts or that Crose could be better now, but seriously, no, I am not defending Crose. I am surprised that was your takeaway after all I said. Emphasis on all, not just the first couple sentences of mine.

I am doing my due diligence and searching every forum imaginable for discussion on Crose, since he really doesn't have many reviews or discussion. A hair transplant is a major life long thing, forgive me for caring and wanting to get it right the first time 

Now, this will sound like defending but needs to be said. OP's result doesn't even seem horrifically terrible. OP admits he knew density would be lacking first comment of this thread due to his recession. Additionally, I looked at first transplant post from late 2019, someone there literally said it looked like he needed more grafts. I don't know what the conversation was between him and the surgeon, expectations, etc..

I have had 10+ consultations (America/Turkey), and I have a consolation with  perhaps one of the best in North California (Diep) next week. Even Diep has negative reviews with patients not liking their results. It's all about finding who will be best for you. 

Edited by wonderful_derp
Additional information/clarification.

The photos are a bit dark to estimate how many grafts you need for your frontal area, but the crown got only few grafts spread, this won't even give low density of 30 hairs per 1sq cm, you need to measure your crown, but I think for the crown you'll need minimum 2000 grafts.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.