Kevin James Got Rid of his Hair Piece

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

It’s commonly known fact that Kevin James wears a piece, not a very good one either. Looks like he’s going the Travolta route and embracing the bald when not filming. I actually think this is a good thing, as it shows the general population it’s okay to wear a piece if you want too. Thoughts?

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I agree, it looks better than the hair piece.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Valued Contributor

I think it looks better also. Once you liberate yourself from a wig people focus more on your eyes and other features of your face in my opinion. I also think that it's super cool if people could take the attitude of viewing wearing a hair piece like wearing a suit! That's what I did and was open about it from day one. I even had a wig party and all my friends came with boofy wigs, etc. I definitely think that there's nothing wrong with wearing a wig/hair system, etc, but you have to own it. If more celebrities did this then the stigma would drop. Same as it did when Hollywood heavy weights started to just shave their heads. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Years ago I heard he had a hair transplant. It looks like he has the classic FUT scar here. It also looks like he has a decent amount of hair, so I wonder why he shaves his head.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 10.16.15 PM.png

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

@BeHappy 

I was convinced he had on a hair piece, this looks like a bad hairpiece

image.png

I rarely say this, but he looks WAY better with a shaved head. It fits him.

View my thread

12 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I was convinced he had on a hair piece, this looks like a bad hairpiece

This is also an example of how looking at yourself and styling your hair in the mirror, thinking it looks ok or even good, VS. how you actually look to other people/cameras! I've  had occasions looking at pictures of myself and thinking, hey I didn't think I was having a bad hair day that day. :D

Agree he is an inspiration to head shavers everywhere, should have done it from the start.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, ciaus said:

This is also an example of how looking at yourself and styling your hair in the mirror, thinking it looks ok or even good, VS. how you actually look to other people/cameras! I've  had occasions looking at pictures of myself and thinking, hey I didn't think I was having a bad hair day that day. :D

Agree he is an inspiration to head shavers everywhere, should have done it from the start.

Yup, looks like Joe Rogan finally convinced him. I’m still thinking he got a rug though. I’m not totally convinced that was an HT. Now, he definitely got an HT at one point. 

Does this not scream rug

image.jpeg

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Does this not scream rug

Yes, maybe he did try the rug for a little bit and then got the HT.

If you look at this screencap, its more visible on the right, that looks like the shadow from hair under the skin. The only other process that could produce that effect would be SMP.

image.png.1694f1a7e5050ac452eb60c277a09dce.png

It doesn't seem like a hairpiece to me. Especially the picture with it shorter. Most hairpieces aren't cut that short nor are they left that high. Why would someone get a piece to look like it receded halfway up their head? Hairpieces usually look off because they're low and dense with completely receded temple points and a wider forehead that doesn't match up. I think he had a dense but very conservatively placed transplant without addressing a temple closure. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, BDK081522 said:

It doesn't seem like a hairpiece to me. Especially the picture with it shorter. Most hairpieces aren't cut that short nor are they left that high. Why would someone get a piece to look like it receded halfway up their head? Hairpieces usually look off because they're low and dense with completely receded temple points and a wider forehead that doesn't match up. I think he had a dense but very conservatively placed transplant without addressing a temple closure. 

It’s actually very common, men opt for conservative pieces so it doesn’t call attention. A famous example is Jason Alexander, he talked about how he wanted something that looked like it could be real. Admittedly, his hair piece looks 1000x more realistic than an ultra-dense high hairline like James had.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators

It could be too much toppik though, that’s plausible. That just looks super suspect. That’s why temple points are SO important.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread

• Moderators

I guess it could be both. It's possible that the hair transplant didn't turn out so well, so he ended up using a hair piece for a while. That actually makes some sense because if the hair transplant went well why would he shave now?

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

I guess it could be both. It's possible that the hair transplant didn't turn out so well, so he ended up using a hair piece for a while. That actually makes some sense because if the hair transplant went well why would he shave now?

That’s exactly what im thinking, he’s friends with Rogan who had a pretty crappy HT in the 90s. Could’ve gone to the same place. Back then you’d get a few hundred grafts. 

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...

I watched his new show on Netflix tonight, where his head is shaved bald.  He has a pretty big FUT scar from ear to ear. It looks like he had SMP on his entire head so the scar looks decent considering. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

I watched his new show on Netflix tonight, where his head is shaved bald.  He has a pretty big FUT scar from ear to ear. It looks like he had SMP on his entire head so the scar looks decent considering. 

Yea he definitely had an FUT. I think his hair shaved looks a lot more natural and fits him well. 

View my thread

21 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Yea he definitely had an FUT. I think his hair shaved looks a lot more natural and fits him well. 

Yeah he definitely pulls it off and looks way better than that rat he used to wear on his head. But man, if I had his money I’d go to the best HT doctor in the world and pay for a perfect head of hair. 

Edited by EvoXOhio

• Valued Contributor
On 2/20/2021 at 5:16 AM, ciaus said:

Yes, maybe he did try the rug for a little bit and then got the HT.

If you look at this screencap, its more visible on the right, that looks like the shadow from hair under the skin. The only other process that could produce that effect would be SMP.

image.png.1694f1a7e5050ac452eb60c277a09dce.png

Yes it appears that he has at some stage had SMP or trichopigmentation (which can fade out after 12 months).

• 1 month later...

so interesting I didn't even think about Kevin James wearing a hairpiece. He seems like such a low maintenance guy, and a hairpiece is the epitome of high-maintenance. 

Plus, every role Kevin plays in he is the dorky, beta, guy-next-door, average Joe everyman, and being bald kind of plays into that stereotype (no offense to anyone). 

Also agree that baldness suits him. 

Good for him for leaving the hairloss war behind and just being done with it all!

Edited by SadMan2021

• 1 month later...

Actually, some hairpieces these days look better than transplants and may be viable for folks with donor shortages.  Rather than getting leg, armpit, pube hairs or etc due to donor supply, this may be a better route and will fill in more and look more natural i think.  

only downside is really maintenance , your skin is protected and you are not surgically scarred.  

it is ones like these that are impressive

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMe7VA8n6/

On 2/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

It could be too much toppik though, that’s plausible. That just looks super suspect. That’s why temple points are SO important.

image.jpeg

In my opinion that is a hairpeice behind a few whispy hairs of his own up front. A lot of actors do this whether its their own hairs left or a transplant, including Jon Hamm. It disguises any potential hairline issues with the system. His original FUT probably held him over until he lost more, and then by season 2 or 3 I think it was, they switched him to the system. His hair became drastically different and it was the system. He didn't wear it in public much throughout his career during King of Queens. Usually opted for that backwards hat.

Edited by SD1984