Jump to content

Does liposomal fin make a difference vs non-liposomal fin?


Recommended Posts

 

Does non-liposomal topical finasteride make a difference compared to liposomal finasteride? I think I got a prescription for non-liposomal topical finasteride... I was wondering if that would affect how much of it my body absorbs. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Liposomal finasteride is better absorbed and thus more effective than non-liposomal finasteride. 

Do you know if it affects the amount of side effects that the user experiences?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Topical finasteride won't have systemic side effects since it's not systemically absorbed, it's locally absorbed. The only side effects I've seen from topical finasteride is irritation around the scalp and that is likely due to scalp sensitivity to a component mixed in with the topical finasteride, such as as alcohol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Khokhar,

I see you post this as if it were fact all the time on this site... Every single Topical fin study I have seen shows Systemic reduction of dht. Similar to if not greater than oral fin. Am I missing something? Is there a topical fin compound that has any sort of data to back these claims? Not doubting your clinical experience but the data would suggest otherwise stating that there is no systemic absorption of topical fin. I myself struggle with Fin sides so I am certainly looking into these topical options heavily right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:52 AM, Style22 said:

Dr. Khokhar,

I see you post this as if it were fact all the time on this site... Every single Topical fin study I have seen shows Systemic reduction of dht. Similar to if not greater than oral fin. Am I missing something? Is there a topical fin compound that has any sort of data to back these claims? Not doubting your clinical experience but the data would suggest otherwise stating that there is no systemic absorption of topical fin. I myself struggle with Fin sides so I am certainly looking into these topical options heavily right now.

yes. I am really skeptical when someone says topical finasteride has NO side effects. Need more data to be conclusive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 7:22 PM, Style22 said:

Dr. Khokhar,

I see you post this as if it were fact all the time on this site... Every single Topical fin study I have seen shows Systemic reduction of dht. Similar to if not greater than oral fin. Am I missing something? Is there a topical fin compound that has any sort of data to back these claims? Not doubting your clinical experience but the data would suggest otherwise stating that there is no systemic absorption of topical fin. I myself struggle with Fin sides so I am certainly looking into these topical options heavily right now.

Please post those studies so I can take a look. How would a local medicine reduce DHT more than a systemic medicine? That premise doesn't make any sense. It's like saying topical neosporin will kill more bacteria in your body than an IV antibiotic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 2:57 AM, Gokul Krishnan said:

yes. I am really skeptical when someone says topical finasteride has NO side effects. Need more data to be conclusive.

I said systemic side effects, I didn't say NO side effects. That's a big difference. The only side effect I've seen is irritation/itching due to contact dermatitis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I said systemic side effects, I didn't say NO side effects. That's a big difference. The only side effect I've seen is irritation/itching due to contact dermatitis. 

Yes. I got your point. I am skeptical that it has no systemic side effect. Not an expert, but my thoughts are when used for long periods some amount of finasteride will get accumulated in system and it will take months or years for systemic side effects to show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gokul Krishnan said:

Yes. I got your point. I am skeptical that it has no systemic side effect. Not an expert, but my thoughts are when used for long periods some amount of finasteride will get accumulated in system and it will take months or years for systemic side effects to show.

Drugs have half-lives because they're cleared by the body (whether it's by the liver through the cytochrome p450 pathway, kidneys, etc). Topical finasteride will not accumulate in our body to enough a significant degree to cause systemic side effects. Please share a study in a reputable journal that shows topical finasteride has systemic side effects. I'm sure there are RARE cases of hypersensitivity reactions, but thankfuly, I haven't come across any such cases in my patients. Every doctor with decades of more experience than me that I've talked to hasn't had a patient with systemic side effects. I'm a big proponent of science. If there's science behind your assertion, please share it.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Please post those studies so I can take a look. How would a local medicine reduce DHT more than a systemic medicine? That premise doesn't make any sense. It's like saying topical neosporin will kill more bacteria in your body than an IV antibiotic. 

I’ll post some and have you take a look. See what you think. Medicines used locally do go systemic. Why else would we rub testosterone cream on our shoulders and balls? Sure the injections and orals have a far greater effect systemically.
 

i have zero doubts that some off these topical formulations do a much better job than others of staying local. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...