I rushed into a FUT appointment and need advice

17 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You don’t have to stick to only NYC, you can look in other states. I would say consult with at least 5 surgeons. You don’t have to go in person, zoom or FaceTime is okay.

I'll take it to heart and come back after I've done at least 4 more consults. Stay hairy my friends.

• Like 1

Dr. Wesley told me I should get more grafts than the other doctors so far 2700-3100 vs 2500~ but he shared something interesting and unique that I would be remiss not to share with you guys.

https://vimeo.com/374288606

A srpay that promises all the benefits of pills but virtually no risk. This seems promising and kind of perfect if you ask me.

Edited by hairhairhair2541

• Administrators
1 minute ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Dr. Wesley told me I should get more grafts than the other doctors so far 2700-3100 vs 2500~ but something he shared something interesting and unique that I would be remiss not to share with you guys.

A srpay that promises all the benefits of pills but virtually no risk. This seems promising and kind of perfect if you ask me.

I have actually been hearing A LOT of good stuff about topical dutasteride. I need to reach out to Dr. Wesley and do an interview to hear more about it, and perhaps have him share some results with us. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

I have actually been hearing A LOT of good stuff about topical dutasteride. I need to reach out to Dr. Wesley and do an interview to hear more about it, and perhaps have him share some results with us. 

That would be amazing, I know I'm definitely going to try the spray route. Pills are easier, less messy but the spray is a much smaller risk and I'm sure it can come in a little bottle for travel.

In reviewing Dr. Wesley's email at more than a glance I found that he also recommended PRP in addition to Dutasteride Mesotherapy.

PRP:

https://vimeo.com/374199128

Detasterude Mesotherapy:

They both seem great, my only concern is if I'm paying for a transplant, spray and all these follow up procedures how much will I be paying? I'll find out.

2 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Dr. Wesley told me I should get more grafts than the other doctors so far 2700-3100 vs 2500~ but he shared something interesting and unique that I would be remiss not to share with you guys.

There’s been a lot of interest in topical dutasteride.  Really anything to fight androgens on the scalp.  However it’s been difficult to source, so please let us know if you proceed with Dr. Wesley and enjoy success with this product.

opinions on PRP vary greatly. Some clinics think it’s essentially junk science.  One ongoing complication is that there’s no consensus method for extracting the blood cells and delivering the correct dose.  It’s all very exploratory still, in both cosmetics and also athletics/orthopedics.  Biologics are very promising but we might not be there yet.  For what it’s worth, some AA sufferers have had success micro needling — perhaps results from PRP could be attributed to simply poking holes in the scalp !

At risk of further complicating your decisions, another NY area doc to consider: Dr. Bloxham. He’s had a few strong outcomes recently with members on the forum. His case presentations on youtube are very transparent. A young guy like, he’d automatically go FUT with a more conservative hairline — but that might be in your best long term interest given what you’re up against as an early onset / aggressive loss.

good luck man !

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Bosch said:

There’s been a lot of interest in topical dutasteride.  Really anything to fight androgens on the scalp.  However it’s been difficult to source, so please let us know if you proceed with Dr. Wesley and enjoy success with this product.

opinions on PRP vary greatly. Some clinics think it’s essentially junk science.  One ongoing complication is that there’s no consensus method for extracting the blood cells and delivering the correct dose.  It’s all very exploratory still, in both cosmetics and also athletics/orthopedics.  Biologics are very promising but we might not be there yet.  For what it’s worth, some AA sufferers have had success micro needling — perhaps results from PRP could be attributed to simply poking holes in the scalp !

At risk of further complicating your decisions, another NY area doc to consider: Dr. Bloxham. He’s had a few strong outcomes recently with members on the forum. His case presentations on youtube are very transparent. A young guy like, he’d automatically go FUT with a more conservative hairline — but that might be in your best long term interest given what you’re up against as an early onset / aggressive loss.

good luck man !

Dr. Wesley claims he sells it. You could ask him.

Maybe I'll skip PRP? Interesting.

I know it sounds stupid but Dr. Bloxham not being "elite" on the site hurt my confidence in him a bit. What do you mean by a more conservative hairline? My hairline is complete crap.

10 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I know it sounds stupid but Dr. Bloxham not being "elite" on the site hurt my confidence in him a bit. What do you mean by a more conservative hairline? My hairline is complete crap.

by conservative, I mean that he wouldn’t attempt to make you look like Jake Gyllenhaal with a perfect hairline and amazing density. his design would include some built in recession in order to maximize grafts and age gracefully.

here’s a good video on their philosophy & approach with younger patients 

5 minutes ago, Harry Bosch said:

by conservative, I mean that he wouldn’t attempt to make you look like Jake Gyllenhaal with a perfect hairline and amazing density. his design would include some built in recession in order to maximize grafts and age gracefully.

here’s a good video on their philosophy & approach with younger patients 

They all say some version of this. They make sure you have enough donor area in case you continue balding more. A good thing to know for sure. But I think what I need to ask is if I could have my old hairline back while still leaving enough for potential future procedures.

Edited by hairhairhair2541

On 2/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, hairhairhair2541 said:

I'm looking into the 4 NY doctors from here. Bernstein and True/Dorin want 175$ just to see me for the consultation. That's insane to me, should I really do that for each doctor? Is that normal? How do I know which one between them is the best one? If they're all elite coalition members.

That was also the case for me with True/Dorin, though they do apply the $175 toward your procedure. For whatever it's worth, I had consultations at several other places, which were free, and had a much better conversation with Dr. True and scheduled my surgery right away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, williamsburgh said:

That was also the case for me with True/Dorin, though they do apply the $175 toward your procedure. For whatever it's worth, I had consultations at several other places, which were free, and had a much better conversation with Dr. True and scheduled my surgery right away.

Did you try Dr. Wesley? I thought he was pretty good but his approach seems to just try everything. The spray seems objectively better though.

15 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Out of curiosity, how did you communicate with Dr. Wesley?  Through his office/website, or via this site ?

• Administrators
On 2/20/2021 at 10:39 AM, hairhairhair2541 said:

Tried both but calling him directly worked. I messaged 4 doctors using the site and only one responded and never followed up after.

Only one responded? Can you pm me the names of the ones who didn’t? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

So I got some followup on the spray, it's 81$/ month's supply from Dr. Wesley's shop. Is he really the only doctor who's doing sprays? It doesn't seem like any of the ingredients are that special.

I also learned that he gives PRP for free(?) as part of the procedure. That's pretty cool.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:16 PM, hairhairhair2541 said:

So I got some followup on the spray, it's 81$/ month's supply from Dr. Wesley's shop. Is he really the only doctor who's doing sprays? It doesn't seem like any of the ingredients are that special.

I also learned that he gives PRP for free(?) as part of the procedure. That's pretty cool.

awesome. keep us posted on your progress with topical dutasteride. if you could start a topic about it, i'd be super interested to follow it.

Also, I've heard people talk about Dr. Mwamba selling topical dutasteride as well. Not sure if it's a spray though

9 hours ago, deeznuts said:

awesome. keep us posted on your progress with topical dutasteride. if you could start a topic about it, i'd be super interested to follow it.

Also, I've heard people talk about Dr. Mwamba selling topical dutasteride as well. Not sure if it's a spray though

There is no way I can pick up a lifetime 81 dollar a month expense. It seems promising but I need to find out if anyone else is selling this and if the price can come down. I also want to take on a surgery before starting any routine.

20 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

There is no way I can pick up a lifetime 81 dollar a month expense. It seems promising but I need to find out if anyone else is selling this and if the price can come down. I also want to take on a surgery before starting any routine.

You should go under the knife "after" starting a routine and maintaining it for atleast 6 months to a year. That'll stabilise your loss and help you get the best possible outcome.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Dr. Mwamba’s price is about $90-100 per bottle, but it lasts 3 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tressful11 said:

You should go under the knife "after" starting a routine and maintaining it for atleast 6 months to a year. That'll stabilise your loss and help you get the best possible outcome.

This. You need to stabilize your hair loss for a year minimum before surgery. 

11 hours ago, tressful11 said:

Really? I was getting the impression from all these consults that I should get surgery now and the routine is to keep after that. If you're right that's terrible news, looking at min another 1 year and a half wasted wearing hats everywhere. I did use rogaine about 6 months before giving it up, does that count?

10 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Dr. Mwamba’s price is about $90-100 per bottle, but it lasts 3 months. 

Link? Any differences as to what's inside?

14 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Really? I was getting the impression from all these consults that I should get surgery now and the routine is to keep after that. If you're right that's terrible news, looking at min another 1 year and a half wasted wearing hats everywhere. I did use rogaine about 6 months before giving it up, does that count?

Link? Any differences as to what's inside?

No, you definitely want to stabilize your hair loss before you get surgery. You ALSO want to take fin/DUT and min after your surgery too to prevent further loss. But it’s very important to stabilize hair loss before surgery so you know what kind of work you need done. 

Dr. Mwambas site is fueclinic.com

Just now, EvoXOhio said:

No, you definitely want to stabilize your hair loss before you get surgery. You ALSO want to take fin/DUT and min after your surgery too to prevent further loss. But it’s very important to stabilize hair loss before surgery so you know what kind of work you need done. 

Dr. Mwambas site is fueclinic.com

It's been pretty stable because of the rogaine I thought.

This formula just seems to be dutasteride and not the whole fancy mix from Dr. Wesley though.

2 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

It's been pretty stable because of the rogaine I thought.

This formula just seems to be dutasteride and not the whole fancy mix from Dr. Wesley though.

Not everyone needs fin or dut to stabilize, or they have side effects from it and can’t take it. So for some minoxidil may stabilize their loss. 

8 minutes ago, EvoXOhio said:

Not everyone needs fin or dut to stabilize, or they have side effects from it and can’t take it. So for some minoxidil may stabilize their loss. 

Maybe that's why the doctors keep telling me I'm fine. I spoke to my general doctor, urologist and endocrinologist and none of them seem to think ingesting finasteride is a good idea. Even if Dr. Wesley ends up being the only seller of a spray with such efficacy I'll swallow the expense to not swallow potential man boobs 🙆‍♀️