I rushed into a FUT appointment and need advice

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I'm looking into the 4 NY doctors from here. Bernstein and True/Dorin want 175$ just to see me for the consultation. That's insane to me, should I really do that for each doctor? Is that normal? How do I know which one between them is the best one? If they're all elite coalition members.

Are you doing in person consultations? I would do it virtually. That should be free.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I asked about virtual and they told me they're not doing those right now.

That’s news to me, did you use our link? Or through their site? It should go through by our links.

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I'll try your links then. I think I didn't notice those initially.

image.png.629a980c2465500635142be7c853587b.png

This, right? Wonder why they'd do this but not tell me they do this.

Yea use that link, they will respond that way. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Thank you, I have submitted for all of the doctors this way. I hope to hear back from them soon.

Sounds good, if you don't hear back let me know. But you should definitely get a response.

• Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

By when? And how, via email?

Yes via email, allow at least 72 hours. Don’t count the weekend. 

• Thanks 1

View my thread

• Moderators

Getting back to Dr Slaughter for a minute. It looks like Dr Slaughter trained for a while under Dr Beehner and is now basically taking over Dr Beehner's practice at Saratoga Hair Center, so Beehner can retire. If this is the case (It seems that way from the web site) then  Dr Slaughter is probably a decent choice in general, but is simply a newer unknown Dr especially since he was not previously the main Dr at Saratoga Hair Center. You would probably be OK going with this Dr as Dr Beehner is still associated with it. That's just an opinion based on a quick look through their web site and info. I'm not recommending any specific action to either go with him or not.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I just can't get over the surname Slaughter. Great if you are going to be an MMA fighter, infantryman, action movie star, IRS collections agent, etc.

BUT if you want to be a doctor, nurse, pastor, politician... you got to march down to your local social security office on your 18th birthday and change your last name! This calls into question his judgment capabilities and shows a complete lack of appreciation for superstitious patients everywhere! :D

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Getting back to Dr Slaughter for a minute. It looks like Dr Slaughter trained for a while under Dr Beehner and is now basically taking over Dr Beehner's practice at Saratoga Hair Center, so Beehner can retire. If this is the case (It seems that way from the web site) then  Dr Slaughter is probably a decent choice in general, but is simply a newer unknown Dr especially since he was not previously the main Dr at Saratoga Hair Center. You would probably be OK going with this Dr as Dr Beehner is still associated with it. That's just an opinion based on a quick look through their web site and info. I'm not recommending any specific action to either go with him or not.

That's what I thought too but you'd think 3-4 years after that arrangement he'd have any kind of online presence. I can barely find anything of him.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I got the email back from Dr. Bernstein's office but it was from a Dr. Shaver who I guess works there? and it seems like I'd have to go for the paid consult either way.

Dr. Shaver is top notch, she has some results published here. What did they say?

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Say I should get 2500 grafts of FUT but I need to be evaluated to be sure. And if she's so great why isn't she on the list?

Well, she may get on the list, but we unlike other places. We use the community input to approve all of our surgeons. She’s learning under Dr. Bernstein who’s a pioneer. 

• Like 2

View my thread

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

Do I want someone who does not have "elite" status?

Are we talking to consult with or to go too? If you only want to go for a consultation that is fine. Now, if we’re talking choosing a surgeon. I suggest doing some extensive research, and seeing if you can speaking with past patients. 

• Like 1

View my thread

34 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Are we talking to consult with or to go too? If you only want to go for a consultation that is fine. Now, if we’re talking choosing a surgeon. I suggest doing some extensive research, and seeing if you can speaking with past patients. 

I'm only really taking the time to consult or read the forum to choose a surgeon. What other reason would I have to care about any of this?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I'm only really taking the time to consult or read the forum to choose a surgeon. What other reason would I have to care about any of this?

Okay fair enough, which surgeon impresses you the most? Which surgeon have you seen the most impressive reviews from? That should help narrow down your list. As for going in person. I would definitely ask if there’s a possible way to zoom. 

• Like 2

View my thread

7 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Okay fair enough, which surgeon impresses you the most? Which surgeon have you seen the most impressive reviews from? That should help narrow down your list. As for going in person. I would definitely ask if there’s a possible way to zoom. 

I find I'm easily impressed even just by the consult. Clearly my own judgement isn't fantastic if this thread is anything to go by. I'm seeking out good data to make a better decision which is why I'm putting so much stock into who got featured on the site and who is considered elite.

By the way, I really appreciate you replying to me concerning this.

• Valued Contributor

Choosing a surgeon is the end result of doing the research and asking as many questions as you can (and their is no such thing as a stupid question). As qui bono has stated this is a dirty industry unfortunately which tarnishes the good reputations of legit, brilliant surgeons and destroys the lives of many patients. I've been there.

The reason you have to care about this is that with any surgeon something can go wrong. Doron nearly died during his Turkish hair transplant. Others have been butchered as I have. You owe it to yourself and your results to really be patient and diligent in your research. All the best.

• Like 1

• Administrators

11 hours ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

I find I'm easily impressed even just by the consult. Clearly my own judgement isn't fantastic if this thread is anything to go by. I'm seeking out good data to make a better decision which is why I'm putting so much stock into who got featured on the site and who is considered elite.

By the way, I really appreciate you replying to me concerning this.

Here's what I suggest, don't be in any rush to have a procedure. Take this time to really research on this forum. Articles listing the best hair transplant surgeons, or organization lists are not definitive lists. They are starting points for research. As someone mentioned earlier, what separates us from other organization is that we make all of our decisions collectively. Our approvals are never just one person making the decision, it's the entire forum. These approvals are based on patient ratings and reviews. 

Lastly, while $250 is no small amount of money, it's worth paying if you want to get a sense for the doctor. I paid $250 to one surgeon, and drove 14 hours to see another surgeon. Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice to ensure you're making the right decision. In the end, a few hundred dollars is a small price compared to the thousands you will pay for the procedure. In most cases, if you choose that surgeon the price is discounted from the procedure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Here's what I suggest, don't be in any rush to have a procedure. Take this time to really research on this forum. Articles listing the best hair transplant surgeons, or organization lists are not definitive lists. They are starting points for research. As someone mentioned earlier, what separates us from other organization is that we make all of our decisions collectively. Our approvals are never just one person making the decision, it's the entire forum. These approvals are based on patient ratings and reviews. 

Lastly, while $250 is no small amount of money, it's worth paying if you want to get a sense for the doctor. I paid $250 to one surgeon, and drove 14 hours to see another surgeon. Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice to ensure you're making the right decision. In the end, a few hundred dollars is a small price compared to the thousands you will pay for the procedure. In most cases, if you choose that surgeon the price is discounted from the procedure. 

How many consults should I go in for? What would be "taking my time"? Why, if I only need one surgeon would I venture outside this very difficult to get onto recommended list?

Also unrelated to picking a surgeon but I am petrified of getting manboobs due to fin.

Edited by hairhairhair2541

• Administrators
Just now, hairhairhair2541 said:

How many consults should I go in for?

You don’t have to stick to only NYC, you can look in other states. I would say consult with at least 5 surgeons. You don’t have to go in person, zoom or FaceTime is okay.

• Thanks 1

View my thread