I rushed into a FUT appointment and need advice

It's coming up in under 10 days, the dr is dr slaughter at the saratogga hair center and I've seen some positive things online, I got one outright condemnation in a private message which prompted me to google even harder. I notice he has one post here but he's not on the pre-screened list. Should that be a concern? I need to hear from people about this asap.

6 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

It's literally an appointment. It means nothing until you place the deposit

Bad news about that...

6 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Cancel it. And then start your research in to a decent clinic here on the forum. The Drs name is Slaughter ? 😳

I'm not ready to lose the deposit and I didn't go into this without any research. I found him and his mentor on the forum before.

This is the place, on paper he has the credentials and experience. https://www.saratogahair.com/surgeons

Here are some posts I found before signing up to post.

Edited by hairhairhair2541

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

It’s possible they will refund you if you ask. Doesn’t hurt to ask. Other members have usually been successful when in doubt of a clinic.

This isn't helping my anxiety at all. I was told quite plainly that my deposit is forfeit if I cancel within 21 days of the appointment. I know I can appeal to cancel, it's definitely an option to delay and then cancel. I'm asking if I credibly have anything to worry about. My research has shown he's good but I'd like to have a discussion that goes beyond you just telling me to cancel.

Just reschedule. Say something critical came up etc. If you later find a different doc that you like then ask yourself if losing your deposit is worth risking have a procedure with a doc you don't like.

I forfeited a $600 deposit when I got my first procedure to work with Dr. K instead. No regrets. In fact, I can no longer find the initial doc I scheduled with. So guessing I made the right call big picture.

Good luck.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

Just now, hairhairhair2541 said:

Date for an actual surgery.

But why kramer? is he no good? what am I missing here?

I am not familiar with your choice of doctor...but if you have a wavering feeling in your gut...I say always follow your gut...so that’s why I say reschedule and do more research and discussion with other patients of the doctor to see if you want to go through with it. They should be able to provide you with patient references to contact.

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

I can’t see much in the way of results from him. Doesn’t mean to say he isn’t good. 
It’s the pm you got that would have got my attention. Did they share their pics with you ? And said exactly what the issues were ? 

No pics.

The weirdest thing is, this other person didn't have the same doctor. They had Dr. Beehner who actually is heavily on this site. I have Dr. Slaughter, (Second link of him on this site) same center but different doctor.  This person's issues with Dr. Beehner were:

- The scar on the back of head widened to over 3cm (this is because he used removable stitches)

-  Hairline uneven by 1cm

- Beehner kept making comments that showed he forgot their entire medical history and everything they went over in consult

Direct quote: The whole experience was awful and the whole place seemed pretty unprofessional. I contacted my patient coordinator the day after surgery to follow up and she told me she didn’t work there anymore as of that day and had no one to refer me to. It was very odd.

Just now, CosmoKramer said:

I am not familiar with your choice of doctor...but if you have a wavering feeling in your gut...I say always follow your gut...so that’s why I say reschedule and do more research and discussion with other patients of the doctor to see if you want to go through with it. They should be able to provide you with patient references to contact.

That's the thing, my gut isn't saying no. It's just I jumped right in thinking I'm not getting any younger but now I'm at least looking for confirmation. I don't usually go online for any kind of doctor or medical advice so I really didn't think to now either.

1 minute ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

No pics.

The weirdest thing is, this other person didn't have the same doctor. They had Dr. Beehner who actually is heavily on this site. I have Dr. Slaughter, (Second link of him on this site) same center but different doctor.  This person's issues with Dr. Beehner were:

- The scar on the back of head widened to over 3cm (this is because he used removable stitches)

-  Hairline uneven by 1cm

- Beehner kept making comments that showed he forgot their entire medical history and everything they went over in consult

Direct quote: The whole experience was awful and the whole place seemed pretty unprofessional. I contacted my patient coordinator the day after surgery to follow up and she told me she didn’t work there anymore as of that day and had no one to refer me to. It was very odd.

That's the thing, my gut isn't saying no. It's just I jumped right in thinking I'm not getting any younger but now I'm at least looking for confirmation. I don't usually go online for any kind of doctor or medical advice so I really didn't think to now either.

No one here can make your decision for you( unbiasedly), that’s just the way it goes in life. Ask for other patient references and see if you can zoom them but it’s a risk you have to accept to take, either cancel and loose your deposit and do more research on other docs or go through with it.

Just now, CosmoKramer said:

No one here can make your decision for you( unbiasedly), that’s just the way it goes in life. Ask for other patient references and see if you can zoom them but it’s a risk you have to accept to take, either cancel and loose your deposit and do more research on other docs or go through with it.

That's kind of what I had hoped to do here, I figure by sharing all the information I can find on the center and the doctor more seasoned veterans can help me spot anything fishy. Or maybe someone has heard of this place and these doctors and could weigh in. But you're right Cosmo, it's my call, just asking for some help making it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hairhairhair2541 said:

That's kind of what I had hoped to do here, I figure by sharing all the information I can find on the center and the doctor more seasoned veterans can help me spot anything fishy. Or maybe someone has heard of this place and these doctors and could weigh in. But you're right Cosmo, it's my call, just asking for some help making it.

Totally understand man, as all those of us whom have jumped into this type of journey have Kukey had the same feelings, questions and apprehensions. I’d say, keep researching until you’re sure and comfortable and ready. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

How old are you can I ask? If you are having the 'slightest' doubts now then cancel ASAP. You will end up spending thousands to repair a result that you will wish you never chose. Trust me! If you are young over time the loss of the deposit will be the best money you spent!

• Like 1

I recently canceled a FUT. I would be getting surgery this Friday. I’m glad I didn’t do it. I was ready to lose 1500 deposit (got it back) and felt bad about canceling. I thought I should tell the doctor as soon as possible so they adjust their schedule. I realized I want to be 100% comfortable my decision or I not doing it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

How old are you can I ask? If you are having the 'slightest' doubts now then cancel ASAP. You will end up spending thousands to repair a result that you will wish you never chose. Trust me! If you are young over time the loss of the deposit will be the best money you spent!

Late 20's. I can't go on being bald/balding much longer it's really no way to live. I need to go ahead with a transplant asap.

8 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

You might want to check out @Melvin-Moderatorinformative video...

I actually did watch this video before even signing up, there are multiple threads by and about Dr. Beehner here. He was a trusted person here before he retired. I can't stress enough, I didn't do no research. I think partially it's the lack of info on his protege who I'm going to see (though what little is out there is all good) and that dm I got telling me beehner sucked in 2019. Not to mention, I never got surgery and anything for this kind of money is going to make me feel jumpy. I felt jumpy in 2017 when looking into this stuff too, even had a consult with the same doctor and never booked. I regret it, I lost 2 years of youth not looking like crap.

I guess what I'm really looking for is more opinions, right now I'm probably just gonna do it. I'm not getting any younger and this takes about 6-12 months to show. I'm ready to start living.

1 hour ago, Domino said:

I recently canceled a FUT. I would be getting surgery this Friday. I’m glad I didn’t do it. I was ready to lose 1500 deposit (got it back) and felt bad about canceling. I thought I should tell the doctor as soon as possible so they adjust their schedule. I realized I want to be 100% comfortable my decision or I not doing it.

Are you ever going to be comfortable? Which doctor was it with? Why were you uncomfortable?

It was Dr Lindsey who is considered one of the best. I just kind rushed into it. I created this false sense of urgency for myself but I needed to do more research try the medication first weigh fut vs fue etc. As they say once your cut your cut their is no going back.

• Like 1

Just now, Domino said:

It was Dr Lindsey who is considered one of the best. I just kind rushed into it. I created this false sense of urgency for myself but I needed to do more research try the medication first weigh fut vs fue etc. As they say once your cut your cut their is no going back.

I did put some thought into that, as per my research and the doctor confirmed in the consultation. FUT is for broad strokes thick coverage and FUE is more for touch ups/smaller areas after that initial big surgery. Forgoing FUT is really more if you want to keep very short (like scalp visible) haircuts where the scar may be visible.