Asking about oral minoxidil

Wit23

Hi everyone I am on finasteride 1mg from 7 months and my hairs stop falling but I can't see growth or regrowth I had such a great thick hair 5 years back but the worse starts when I go to boarding school for studies there my diet is on such  a low level, the water is also salty that I don't know that this will damage my hair and I always wash my hair direct from tap water. I also suffer from stress those days. I also have family history of hair fall. I just want to ask I read about the topic of oral minoxidil is these anyone to clear my all concerns about OM of 1.25 to 2.5 mg if I take it daily what precautions should someone take as I am 24 healthy male. The last thing I want to ask that I also have body hairs on my chest, hand and on legs does this make situation more worse? Regards

Hi about your lifestyle factors, diet and stress need to be pretty bad before they start causing hair loss, and if that is the cause you definitely need to address those, not just for the sake of hair loss, but more importantly for your overall health. You don't want to develop a serious disease or condition that threatens your life and making you wish the only thing you had to worry about was hair loss.

The salt and tap water may negatively effect the way your hair looks and feels, but its not going to cause it to fall out.

And on oral minoxidil, the forum moderator started a topic on this a few weeks ago at the link below. You will probably get more body and facial hair while you are taking it, that's just one of the side effects of minoxidil, and stopping the minoxidil will reverse that. The 2.5mg and below dosages have a very low risk of side effects, and since oral minoxidil was designed initially to treat blood pressure you want to already be in good health, not overweight, not already taking any blood pressure medication. Check out the topic for other information:

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:57 AM, ciaus said:

Hi about your lifestyle factors, diet and stress need to be pretty bad before they start causing hair loss, and if that is the cause you definitely need to address those, not just for the sake of hair loss, but more importantly for your overall health. You don't want to develop a serious disease or condition that threatens your life and making you wish the only thing you had to worry about was hair loss.

The salt and tap water may negatively effect the way your hair looks and feels, but its not going to cause it to fall out.

And on oral minoxidil, the forum moderator started a topic on this a few weeks ago at the link below. You will probably get more body and facial hair while you are taking it, that's just one of the side effects of minoxidil, and stopping the minoxidil will reverse that. The 2.5mg and below dosages have a very low risk of side effects, and since oral minoxidil was designed initially to treat blood pressure you want to already be in good health, not overweight, not already taking any blood pressure medication. Check out the topic for other information:

Thank you so much for your reply 😊

On 1/22/2021 at 1:57 AM, ciaus said:

Sorry for bothering but can you plz tell me about your response on OM how's it going? Do you have any known side effects from the drug? 

I've responded better to the oral on my scalp, the topical irritates my scalp skin conditions so I had to stop that. As far as body hair goes my chest and beard areas are a bit more thicker. I've never had back hair and thankfully still don't. The only side effect i got was some light headedness the first 1-2 week period, and i got that with the topical too. I also got a baseline blood pressure monitor from walmart and used that before and after I started to compare and make sure it wasn't causing any blood pressure issues  I couldn't obviously feel.

• Thanks 1

Oral minoxidil at a dose of 5 mg once daily significantly increased hair growth in men with AGA after 12 and 24 weeks of treatment. This medication is widely available as 5 mg tablets, is inexpensive, and can be considered safe in healthy subjects, with minor side effects of hypertrichosis and pedal edema. However, the use of oral minoxidil in people who have severe hypertension and risk of cardiovascular events should be carefully planned.