Most common body hair transplant type?

Once someone runs out of donor hair on the head, what is the most common area for body hair used (to transplant from the body to the scalp)?

This is a "plan ahead" type thing. I've already got 2 HT's done and plan on getting my 3rd soon. Once all donor hair is exhausted, if I wanted to fill my crown I know body hair is a common option. Would chest hair (fine and straight) or stomach hair (more coarse) be better? Legs aren't an option for me as how I naturally do not have much leg hair at all.

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

7 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Beard grafts are the next best option. I know others will say chest hair, etc. but personally I wouldn't use grafts other than beard for a secondary donor supply.

Thanks. Any particular reason why?

Is it risky to remove grafts from your face (chance of leaving scars/marks)?

• Administrators

beard grafts are the most common. Join us tomorrow when I speak to Dr. Pradeep Sethi about beard hair.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

beard grafts are the most common. Join us tomorrow when I speak to Dr. Pradeep Sethi about beard hair.

Thanks. And just for my knowledge. As someone who keeps his face clean shaven, what is the risk of scarring/marking considering 100's of grafts are being removed from your face?

19 minutes ago, SV_08 said:

Thanks. And just for my knowledge. As someone who keeps his face clean shaven, what is the risk of scarring/marking considering 100's of grafts are being removed from your face?

I think the damage is depends on which procedure you are going to choose from, between FUT or FUE. FUE may leave white dots after healing, not sure for FUT.

7 hours ago, SV_08 said:

The risk seems super minimal as they us around a .75 mm punch. Check out @Zoomster and @paddyirishman threads as they show a completely healed and undetectable beard donor area post procedure.

The beard area used is typically under the chin towards the neck area. The skin here is very elastic and the FUE scars heal extremely well. Most times the extraction sites are undetectable due to the great healing capabilities of this area and the fact that it's under your chin and there's some shadowing effect there. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Blower said:

do they sometimes take your beard hair above your chin?

Not unless you are really desperate to get more hair for whatever reason, but this is something that would be discussed with you. If you need a lot of hair do a session from below the chin first and see how well it heals. If you still need more hair then you can decide if you want to move further up into your chin and sides. You can also opt for chest hair if you have good chest hair. I chose to try chest hair first to see how well it heals and if it would grow because I was worried about scarring in my beard area and I like to be clean shaven too. After that I went for both beard hair and more chest hair. I had over 2300 taken from my beard and we didn't move above the underneath area. I also had over 2900 from my chest and abdomen. The beard area heals really well and I can go back to work in a week without anyone knowing. The chest leaves lingering red dots on me that takes 6 months to fully fade, but then it's not noticeable after that.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

12 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Not unless you are really desperate to get more hair for whatever reason, but this is something that would be discussed with you. If you need a lot of hair do a session from below the chin first and see how well it heals. If you still need more hair then you can decide if you want to move further up into your chin and sides. You can also opt for chest hair if you have good chest hair. I chose to try chest hair first to see how well it heals and if it would grow because I was worried about scarring in my beard area and I like to be clean shaven too. After that I went for both beard hair and more chest hair. I had over 2300 taken from my beard and we didn't move above the underneath area. I also had over 2900 from my chest and abdomen. The beard area heals really well and I can go back to work in a week without anyone knowing. The chest leaves lingering red dots on me that takes 6 months to fully fade, but then it's not noticeable after that.

thanks for reply

i have had two sessions from under my chin.. but i think more 500 at a time i have had from that area.. and one session on my chest..but my chest area is not very dense hair Eugenix says and not suitable for transplant with 505 sucsess rate.. alot dont want to use abdomen hair it seems ie not suitable hair

yes on my chest it took longer to heal.where as under my chin seemed to heal very quick indeed.. i am thinking of a possibility of higher up above my chin now as i was norwood 7 so less hair now that ever to take for me... and my crown and hairline still not good