Hello I’ve been experiencing hairloss for maybe a couple years now, I’ve been trying minoxidil and tretinoin and derma-rolling barely started this month with the derma-rolling 1.5mm, been weary of finasteride but will probably try it topically before I try it orally the thinning in the middle is abnormal since it’s always been thinner since I was younger grey hair grows there so it makes it look a lot thinner it’s something I’ve never been able to figure out? The temples are definitely suffering hairloss. But with hair fibers I can pretty easily still hide my hairloss, I’ve been using minoxidil for maybe two months now so perhaps it looks worse right now because it could be shedding? My age (22) prevents me from trying a hair transplant but I was wondering if my donor looks ok? Any suggestions would help pictures are out of the showing in harsh lighting 

CA0F29EA-44B5-44CD-B0EE-47500BAFE403.jpeg

826B0863-B357-404C-85CC-46BACBB14338.jpeg

1CEAEDCB-35C5-4268-B1FB-C51AAD46F1F0.jpeg

D9804FC1-A96A-48C4-9F74-CDACB0AA0805.jpeg

6AFE0432-149C-4A05-9D92-DFAEAAFE34F4.jpeg

F44C79BA-FC15-4017-B8F9-58DF05CA2149.jpeg

74CCBAB4-4EF6-4035-A808-03D6A6A5A821.jpeg

E3C84806-E122-49C2-A206-A92A4EF27BC7.jpeg

615B7904-8EB6-4613-B20F-CB1F944ECA5E.jpeg

3C404F81-4A1E-4203-95CA-B9F4A0EEBF69.jpeg

CFF371F3-9713-4266-9636-7AF41C6E269A.jpeg

D4C54E0B-53AE-4AB4-B808-F669624B13E7.jpeg

Strong donor.. minoxidil won’t do anything for you in the long run on its own as it doesn’t address the underlying issue. You’re still very early, I would try topical fin like you said, start slow and see how you do with it. I think a hair transplant now is out of the question like you said. 

if medication could stabilize your hair, you could look into a hair transplant in 3 years minimum. 

3 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Strong donor.. minoxidil won’t do anything for you in the long run on its own as it doesn’t address the underlying issue. You’re still very early, I would try topical fin like you said, start slow and see how you do with it. I think a hair transplant now is out of the question like you said. 

if medication could stabilize your hair, you could look into a hair transplant in 3 years minimum. 

My plan is to stop it and then get a hair transplant I think 2000 grafts can easily make my hairline better then it ever was before as of right now only the temples have thinning 

• Administrators

Your hair looks good, if you can preserve the hair you have now into your 30's. I doubt you will even need a hair transplant. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Your hair looks good, if you can preserve the hair you have now into your 30's. I doubt you will even need a hair transplant. 

Thanks for the feedback! The hairline isn’t where I would like it though for what I’d like to do with my hair styling wise but I will start first with topical fin, maybe I can regrow my hairline who knows? 

2 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

If you take finasteride and stay on it religiously you won't need a hair transplant. All the best!

Will do! I just got a prescription but have been afraid to start it, as for my hair I’ve always had a crooked hairline my right side is quite higher then my left so I would still want to get the transplant to address that but the first step is to stop the hairloss in its tracks 

8 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

You may find that being on finasteride may strengthen your hair and improve the growth in the frontal area. That's why it's worth a good trial before doing anything.

Yes I will attempt it topically a guy on YouTube has excellent results with it he had worse hairloss than mine so I will give it a shot 

• Like 1

Donor area looks good. At this point, no need for a hair transplant. Get on oral finasteride ASAP and switch to topical finasteride if you're having side effects. I use Morr F 5%, which is a topical finasteride/minoxidil combo and it has worked well for me. I wish I had started using it much sooner. Feel free to private message me as well if you'd like. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Donor area looks good. At this point, no need for a hair transplant. Get on oral finasteride ASAP and switch to topical finasteride if you're having side effects. I use Morr F 5%, which is a topical finasteride/minoxidil combo and it has worked well for me. I wish I had started using it much sooner. Feel free to private message me as well if you'd like. 

Thanks, I haven’t much lost any hair per say it’s just gotten miniaturized perhaps the morr F can help it regrow back terminally unless I get very good results I still will probably get a transplant to address the crookedness of the hairline I know hairlines are suppose to be straight but my right side is proabably a inch higher than my left

26 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

@Dillpickle123 it looks like you may have a bit of retrograde alopecia starting at the nape. It seems to be in the very early stages, but long term it can reduce your donor capacity. +1 to the recommendation for starting finasteride.

The middle of my nape has always been higher then the sides even when I was a kid , if that makes sense but since I get bald fades I barely notice it 

15 minutes ago, Dillpickle123 said:

The middle of my nape has always been higher then the sides even when I was a kid , if that makes sense but since I get bald fades I barely notice it 

The same was true for me as a kid, but over the years I've definitely been affected by retrograde (now 26). I think it's a small risk in your case. If you don't get on finasteride, make sure you keep an eye on it.

5 hours ago, giegnosiganoe said:

The same was true for me as a kid, but over the years I've definitely been affected by retrograde (now 26). I think it's a small risk in your case. If you don't get on finasteride, make sure you keep an eye on it.

Sure thing I’m starting topical finasteride first see how that goes 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Some shedding often happens when you start on finisteride. Stay with it for a few months. It may take another 4 or 5 months to start seeing any improvement because it takes time for the hairs that shed to being growing back longer, stronger, and thicker. I'd keep doing the micro needling too since you are already doing it because there's been some good improvements in some people who have posted here doing that.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

I will add that you look like you'd be a very good candidate for the finisteride and micro needling combination because you have a good head of hair except for a lot of thin, shorter hairs along the front. Since those hairs are still there I think there's a very good chance that many of them will thicken up and grow longer. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Shedding is to be expected, keep at it, the hair will grow back stronger.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

Pics with hair not pulled up got an hmr consultation dr Cortez quoted me 1600 grafts, don’t plan on doing a transplant yet but if I can maintain my hair with topical fin I would look into doing it next year or next couple years  

77072E4A-70C2-4351-BECE-78F211564164.jpeg

0C30F2F1-97CA-442B-A18D-FC9AC65BDAAE.jpeg