Does having SMP hinder your doctor when carrying out a HT??

Exactly as the title says really. I shaved my head during the 1st lockdown as I obviously couldn’t get my hair cut so took the easy option and do didn’t like how much it showed my thinning hair so I wen band got SMP done. I was super happy with the results but I don’t want to keep a shaved head forever so I’m now looking to get a HT done towards the end of summer this year. Has anyone had experience with doing a HT after SMP and can answer the above question? 

• Administrators

I’m tagging @DrTBarghouthi he should be able to answer you.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Sitries1 said:

Exactly as the title says really. I shaved my head during the 1st lockdown as I obviously couldn’t get my hair cut so took the easy option and do didn’t like how much it showed my thinning hair so I wen band got SMP done. I was super happy with the results but I don’t want to keep a shaved head forever so I’m now looking to get a HT done towards the end of summer this year. Has anyone had experience with doing a HT after SMP and can answer the above question? 

Thanks for the mention. No it shouldn’t. The difference between hair and pigment is easily visible while working. So there should be no problem at all with that. There is also no obvious negative effect on graft survival or anything related to that.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

There should be no issues with getting SMP then having a transplant. As Dr. Barghouthi mentioned a surgeon should be able to make clear distinctions especially since they use high magnifiers. Also, the SMP, if done properly, should be placed in the upper dermis (superficial injection) so it's not deep enough to effect the grafts.

Edited by hairthere
  • Like 1

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Phab said:

@DrTBarghouthi hi doctor, what about space (sq/cm)? Would the dots impact that in any way, like not being able to place grafts on top of the dots? 

No not at all. You can place hair on too of existing dots with no issues. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Ideally SMP is done after the full hair transplant results are clear. However, a hair transplant can be done as early as 6 weeks after the last session of SMP. Nonetheless, It does make sense to do the SMP after a HT usually and not the other way around (in most cases). 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• 5 weeks later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 4/1/2021 at 11:16 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Ideally SMP is done after the full hair transplant results are clear. However, a hair transplant can be done as early as 6 weeks after the last session of SMP. Nonetheless, It does make sense to do the SMP after a HT usually and not the other way around (in most cases). 

@DrTBarghouthiCan we use derma roller while using topical minoxidil after doin SMP? And can we evn use micro needling afte smp

Edited by Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

41 minutes ago, Archan said:

@DrTBarghouthiCan we use derma roller while using topical minoxidil after doin SMP? And can we evn use micro needling afte smp

Ideally I would wait until the color sets in and after maybe 6 weeks from the last session. I would also attempt it on a smaller area first and see what sort of response. The dermaroller kind of penetrates a similar enough depth to the SMP pigment and that’s why it is better to see on a small spot what sort of effect this is having. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Ideally I would wait until the color sets in and after maybe 6 weeks from the last session. I would also attempt it on a smaller area first and see what sort of response. The dermaroller kind of penetrates a similar enough depth to the SMP pigment and that’s why it is better to see on a small spot what sort of effect this is having. 

Oh okay...thats what i was wondering as derma-roller penetrate almost to the similar depth and i guess it may result in harming the pigments..and evn i guess wen minoxidil lotion penetrates into the scalp it may react with pigments ...still didn't noticed anyone who had smp using minoxidil with derma roller ...so that shud be intresting to know...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

True. Usually with a full head SMP there is no need for such treatments. However, we may need to in people using SMP for density work. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

True. Usually with a full head SMP there is no need for such treatments. However, we may need to in people using SMP for density work. 

Do you have any examples? I like @EvoXOhio results which he just recently posted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do you have any examples? I like @EvoXOhio results which he just recently posted.

Yes sure. Will post some in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, DrTBarghouthi said:

Thanks for the mention. No it shouldn’t. The difference between hair and pigment is easily visible while working. So there should be no problem at all with that. There is also no obvious negative effect on graft survival or anything related to that.!

Hello doctor. Is there any risk in smp causing inflammation or increasing hair loss? I’m thinking of getting it done in some thinner areas of my donor that have been aggressively harvested.

also, can it negatively affect grafts that will be harvested in the future? Thanks in advance 

2 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Hello doctor. Is there any risk in smp causing inflammation or increasing hair loss? I’m thinking of getting it done in some thinner areas of my donor that have been aggressively harvested.

also, can it negatively affect grafts that will be harvested in the future? Thanks in advance 

There should be no risk if inflammation or infection or permanent hair loss. I don’t see any shock loss either with it although this is always a possibility with so many variables. The positive thing is that shock loss is temporary.

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram