Fine, colored hair transplants...

Calling to all my fine-haired brethren out there...

Of course it's all good for those lucky thick-haired boys getting solid results, but I'm just wondering who, if any out there with fine, thin, mousey, blonde hair have had HTs and got either good OR bad results...

If there was a global competition for the thinnest hair shafts I'm pretty sure I would win, so I'm pretty sure I'm not a great HT candidate...but regardless I'd love to see your results and hear your stories if possible.

Thank you!

Hi. Fine straight blonde hair here... I had awful recession deep into my midscalp and age 23 I had a very conservative hairline / frontal third re-built with 2,000 grafts.

I don't think it's a WOW result compared to some here, but I'd say it's very good and it's 100% given me my life and confidence back. If brushed and parted, I don't think it looks as dense as the coarse, wavy dark haired people, but it's very natural and when brushed forward or back it does look very full. I'm happy and would do it again with the same results in a heartbeat.

I do have some very very minor lingering redness especially along the new hairline but I put that down to me being an idiot and doing aloe vera once per day for a few weeks instead of slabbering it on all day for months. It's barely noticeable with a slicked back style. Nothing to worry about but something to be aware of - maybe mention it to your doctor before and ask how it can be avoided. 

Anyway the point is - with the right doctor and planning, it can turn out great. Everything worked out perfectly for me. 

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

5 hours ago, follically challenged said:

Happy to hear that, man! May I ask which clinic you went to? And is it ok to see some pics, either on this thread or private? Thanks

Thanks! I just made a thread and posted pics...check out results posted by patients section. 

Edited by TommyLucchese
  • Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 1/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, follically challenged said:

Calling to all my fine-haired brethren out there...

Of course it's all good for those lucky thick-haired boys getting solid results, but I'm just wondering who, if any out there with fine, thin, mousey, blonde hair have had HTs and got either good OR bad results...

If there was a global competition for the thinnest hair shafts I'm pretty sure I would win, so I'm pretty sure I'm not a great HT candidate...but regardless I'd love to see your results and hear your stories if possible.

Thank you!

I have a fine hair caliber ! Im at 6 months now and decent results so far hoping for maturation for the final 6 months to provide more coverage. I feel like fine hair folks have a slightly longer waiting period for a great aesthetic effect due to the hairs growing in finer at first as they sprout eventually normalizing to your normal caliber due to maturation. @Rolandas has an awesome result 👌

Edited by andrew11
  • Like 2

I've just uploaded my 11.5 month update where I discussed briefly how thin & thick hair can be.
My hair caliber is 50/51 microns so I'm considered on a very thin side, although I've hear of folks having 45/46 microns, so it can get worse.
In any way thinner hair means you'd need more grafts/cm2 to achieve great coverage. If you're NW7, then it might be a problem, but if you're NW5 and below should be ok, given your donor is not suffering from DUPA or Retrograde.
 1.JPG.00989cae6b33bf226aae87aef79ca4fb.JPG

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

5 hours ago, Rolandas said:

My hair caliber is 50/51 microns so I'm considered on a very thin side

Yeah i saw your vid actually when you uploaded it, was good to see. I truly believe mine is thinner than yours, just by looking at your result, but i will need to be checked once lockdown travel restrictions are lifted.

If i had to guess, based on yours being 50/51 microns, i'd put mine at around the 48 mark... i also remember your sign-off on another video "....and if it's thinner than mine... your are Fu*ked" 😅 

I'd say i'm around norwood 3 with miniaturisation in the frontal 3rd but not strong donor area tbh... i'll get confirmation on that as soon as travel becomes normal again...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

Yeah i saw your vid actually when you uploaded it, was good to see. I truly believe mine is thinner than yours, just by looking at your result, but i will need to be checked once lockdown travel restrictions are lifted.

If i had to guess, based on yours being 50/51 microns, i'd put mine at around the 48 mark... i also remember your sign-off on another video "....and if it's thinner than mine... your are Fu*ked" 😅 

I'd say i'm around norwood 3 with miniaturisation in the frontal 3rd but not strong donor area tbh... i'll get confirmation on that as soon as travel becomes normal again...

How about your family history? What's the highest NW level?

Sometimes it might look thin, but actually its much thicker. Besides 48 and 50 are pretty much the same. If the difference would be in 20-50 microns that'd be substantial, but 2-3 is pretty much the same.

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

7 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

How about your family history? What's the highest NW level?

Sometimes it might look thin, but actually its much thicker. Besides 48 and 50 are pretty much the same. If the difference would be in 20-50 microns that'd be substantial, but 2-3 is pretty much the same.

ah i see. then who knows, could be much lower haha i'm new to the micron thickness, i just know mine is super fine. 

Hmmmm, dad's history: late 70s, high forehead, Norwood 5a. Both parents have fine hair...

5 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

ah i see. then who knows, could be much lower haha i'm new to the micron thickness, i just know mine is super fine. 

Hmmmm, dad's history: late 70s, high forehead, Norwood 5a. Both parents have fine hair...

Perhaps the best thing you can do is to be actually checked via trichoscope to know what's the potential for you, other than that it's all speculation.

• Like 1

Follow me on YouTube

As for fine hair, here is a result of a transplant doctor who was an NW5/6 with baby fine hair after 2 strip procedures. I think his results are very good considering the hair type.

Huebner at Natural Transplants is not super highly regarded in this forum for using outdated methods including multi-follicular units, however, I think the multi-follicular units may have suited this patient well given the super fine caliber of his hair.

4 minutes ago, SLA said:

As for fine hair, here is a result of a transplant doctor who was an NW5/6 with baby fine hair after 2 strip procedures. I think his results are very good considering the hair type.

Huebner at Natural Transplants is not super highly regarded in this forum for using outdated methods including multi-follicular units, however, I think the multi-follicular units may have suited this patient well given the super fine caliber of his hair.

interesting. thanks for posting. 

Definitely an improvement, just a shame they didn't show the donor area. Whenever a video is posted that does not show the FUE or FUT section it always makes me feel a little distrustful... screw the argument 'there is nothing to see' - NO, we WANT to see what we are getting into...

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, follically challenged said:

do you know how many microns?

I am not sure how many microns ! I actually have not heard of that term before... here are my stats of my first HT 

20210122_200503.jpg

Edited by andrew11