My Finasteride results after 9 months

Stubble

Hey there.

Short version:
Started taking Finasteride 1mg/day january 2020 for my hair loss. A lot of my hair grew back rather quickly, and I never experienced any side effects. 
The image uploaded documents the change from January to September 2020, with the same barber cutting my hair to the same length.
Since then, it's been pretty much unchanged. 

Longer version:
I noticed my hair thinning on the top of my head when I was around 26. Back then, I went to a doctor to get a prescription but I had a pretty bad encounter. He ridiculed me a little bit and kept asking if I have cancer and why I wanted a cancer drug. Then he said the side effects would completely mess me up, and that I should just accept baldness. 
Anyway, I got scared off so I didn't think about it for a while. 
Fast forward to age 29, I start researching hair transplants. After having been in contact with a few clinics, it became clear that I should try Finasteride before I do any further planning. So I decided to use it for a minimum of 6 months before I do anything else.

It's worth nothing, I think, that when I took the first pill I was definitely affected by what I had read online and what the first doctor had told me, so I was probably quite susceptible to negative placebo effects. However, after a few months I felt pretty certain that I really didn't notice any difference apart from more hair growth. 

Here's another thing worth noting. When I was scrolling through finasteride threads on another hair loss forum, I noticed a lot of comments about severe side effects. However, after looking through pages and pages of threads, I noticed that a lot of time it was the same users commenting over and over again. 
I don't mean to claim anything by pointing that out, but it made it clear to me that the most disappointed users are probably more prone to write about this stuff. 

So, a year has passed and I'm quite happy with the result. The vertex hasn't filled up completely, but it's at a stage that's totally acceptable right now. Soon I'll go through with my first hair transplant to repair the temples. But I'll create a different thread about that. 

I hope this was helpful to someone. 
Cheers

FinasterideProgress2020.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Holy crap man 😱 @Shiftyand @hairlossPA have some competition. This is absolutely incredible.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, duchaine said:

Better than mine @Melvin-Moderator lol lol

Let’s have a competition lol, we’ll put up a poll, let’s see who’s the HRN medication champion 😛 

• Haha 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

35 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Holy crap man 😱 @Shiftyand @hairlossPA have some competition. This is absolutely incredible.

In my defense he definitely had more hair than me before LOL I've been finesteride free for the past week because of a delivery issue.  My crown is still a sore point. even though I think I've made some slight gains in the front.  

This was taken in August with some fiber toward the back/crown area.

So, somehow the folder with all the photos I had taken previously disappeared from my computer, i tried a restore to a specific date didn't help. not sure what happened but my thread is now my only reference. 

Ill update the post soon to show progress or lack thereof 

image.png.352efc4483c032863323c22e68c4683c.png

• Like 3

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Shifty said:

In my defense he definitely had more hair than me before LOL I've been finesteride free for the past week because of a delivery issue.  My crown is still a sore point. even though I think I've made some slight gains in the front.  

So, somehow the folder with all the photos I had taken previously disappeared from my computer, i tried a restore to a specific date didn't help. not sure what happened but my thread is now my only reference. 

Holy crap, that’s incredible. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

great results. I alway wish I hopped on it sooner... My results started to fade so I got a HT, but happy for you.

There is no feeling like magically having your hair back

You mean you lost your gains?

View my thread

13 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You mean you lost your gains?

my hair would shed then regrow every 6 months. none of the cycles ever got back to my first set of results. they got weaker and weaker with each cycle which is why I went the HT route. My crown has held up however

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

my hair would shed then regrow every 6 months. none of the cycles ever got back to my first set of results. they got weaker and weaker with each cycle which is why I went the HT route. My crown has held up however

That’s pretty interesting. Another good point that meds work best in the crown.

View my thread

21 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Wow, I'm lost for words. Being such a hyper-responder it looks like you no longer need surgery. Congrats, man.

Thank you, I can do nothing else than bless my luck. 
It's hard to see on the pictures but my hairline is quite receded and unfortunately completely bald, so that's why I'm doing a hair transplant shortly. 

19 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Amazing results! Are you taking minoxidil too?

Thank you! Yes, I've taken Minixodil 5% 2 times/day since my early 20s. I can't say I ever noticed any difference to my hair on minox, but I've kept doing it just in case. 

22 hours ago, Shifty said:

Wow. Compared to your starting point that's almost too hard to believe. My temples don't look anywhere close to that. 
Congratz. I'll take the time to read through what you've done. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...