Longevity of HT results

Hey guys, 

I’ve been reading more and more of hair transplant results potentially not being permanent in the later years of life. Any input? Especially from guys who had surgery 10,20 years ago. Does it still look the same now? How likely is it for grafted hairs, even taken from the safe donor area, to fall out in the future? 

2 procedures on the front, most recent was about 10yrs ago, all still there.

Most of the '...more and more' on this topic is pretty much trolling, people with an un-diagnosed medical condition, or people who went to a chop-shop and had hair taken from outside the safe donor area. Two pages back in this section was the last little 'discussion' barely a week ago.

Try not to feed the trolls.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ciaus said:

2 procedures on the front, most recent was about 10yrs ago, all still there.

Most of the '...more and more' on this topic is pretty much trolling, people with an un-diagnosed medical condition, or people who went to a chop-shop and had hair taken from outside the safe donor area. Two pages back in this section was the last little 'discussion' barely a week ago.

Try not to feed the trolls.

I agree 💯 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ve had 2 FUT procedures, 10 and 7 years ago and am still going strong. I’m probably going to get 1-2 more transplants. I’ve recently started using a topical solution of finasteride and minoxidil. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

There is evidence to suggest that in some people, it is not permanent.

Your donor hair will take on some characteristics of your recipient region. Will that be enough to push over the threshold of DHT sensitivity and have it fall out? The jury is still out on that.

To be on the safe side, taking finasteride probably ensures your transplanted hair will remain. 

Here is my thread where I discussed some articles on this: 

The unanswered questions from there:

Falling of transplanted hair can be attributed to 3 reasons (so we think):

1) Undiagnosed or diagnosed scalp conditions.

2) Surgeon error in graft placement, graft transection

3) Harvesting from the "non-safe" zone.

However, what I asked in that thread, and did not receive an answer to, is:

Why would the falling of transplanted hair occur after the 12-18 month settling period (the universally accepted period amongst the hair transplant medical industry where you can see your "permanent" result)?

To be more clear:

If your transplanted hair has completed growing by the end of 12 - 18 months:

How could scalp conditions cause hair fall 4+ years down the line? Wouldn't this scalp condition of prevented the yield during the 12-18 month period post transplant?

How could surgeon error cause hair fall 4+ years down the line? Wouldn't error from the surgeon show in poor yield during the 12-18 month period post transplant?

Now, we go to harvesting from the non-safe zone. Well, the thing is, you see falling of transplanted hair from FUT patients in addition to FUE patients. I address the fallacy of non-safe zone harvesting in the thread linked. Namely: 

A surgeon (at least a good one) will microscopically analyze your donor region for miniaturization before extraction. In fact, specific hair follicles will be analyzed, and only the non-miniaturizing ones, if there is any miniaturization in the donor at all, will be harvested.

Hence:

If, by some chance, the surgeon actually selected grafts which are prone to miniaturization, then the subsequent grafts in the donor around the extracted one should also exhibit this miniaturization 4+ years down the road, or whenever the transplanted hair from the recipient site begins to fall. If they do not, then that implies the recipient region actually affects the growth and health of the transplanted grafts, which would contradict donor dominance theory.

Edited by asterix0

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

@Dr. Suhail Khokhar how many grafts each FUT? How Is your scar these days? 

I don’t recall exactly, but I think it was 1,500 and 2,000 grafts. My donor area is great... knock on wood. I think I’ve got about 6-7k grafts left which will be used in the mid scalp and crown and probably about 1k in the front. My scar is not noticeable at all. I’ve got wavy hair which helps a lot.

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I don’t recall exactly, but I think it was 1,500 and 2,000 grafts. My donor area is great... knock on wood. I think I’ve got about 6-7k grafts left which will be used in the mid scalp and crown and probably about 1k in the front. My scar is not noticeable at all. I’ve got wavy hair which helps a lot.

Sounds like a good long term game plan to me 👏