UNNATURAL HAIRLINE - Repaired by Dr Cooley

HairNTear

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What I would give to wear my hair up and feel comfortable and carefree about it !!!  

Yes this is my first procedure.

I have pics that I used for my consult with Eugenix, but I haven't started a thread yet.  I might start one just to help anyone else that is considering traveling to Eugenix from the U.S. 

The extra legroom is $130 U.S. dollars each flight and since I have a layover each way it would be X4, so that's an additional $520, so I might not. 

Oh that’s cool well I’m jealous you made the right choice in Dr first time round as opposed to me who wasted a lot of grafts and scarred skin by going to 2 incompetent docs before Cooley.

yes definitely start a thread as it is great not only to track your progress seeing how far you come but also to help others!

id probably skip the legroom then as it isn’t going to affect your result 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HairNTear said:

Lmao 😂😂 don’t know about that but definitely these are incredible results from where I was coming from.

it’s funny because I never really had much hair loss, just some slight recession.

The reason I got my first procedure was to lower my hairline as I was born with a VERY large forehead that I was self conscious about.

Unfortunately I tend to make rash decisions and dove in too quickly to hair transplantation thinking it was just a case of taking hair out and replacing it. Little did I know about the many intricacies of this procedure to achieve naturalness and just how many incompetent and unethical surgeons that exist in this world!

Anyway after a long and painful journey I seem to have accomplished my original goal to lower my hairline by about 2cm.

(Just took the scenic route to get to this point 😅)

It’s definitely a cautionary tale with a happy ending. Very glad you found our forum and Dr. Cooley, he really hit this outta the park.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi @HairNTear – I'm about 6 months out from an FUE surgery and am seeing a lot of similarities to your before photos. If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost for the procedure? I have a feeling, depending on how I fill out the next 6 months or so, I may be following in your footsteps.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, DJNordwood said:

Hi @HairNTear – I'm about 6 months out from an FUE surgery and am seeing a lot of similarities to your before photos. If you don't mind my asking, what was the cost for the procedure? I have a feeling, depending on how I fill out the next 6 months or so, I may be following in your footsteps.

I’ll send you a pm 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:13 PM, HairNTear said:

6 month update guys 

Again looking better everyday and I’m able to style my hair back now. Some redness remains and I believe once this fades it will be an impeccable result. Has anyone else experienced redness persist this long?

Also I have noticed some shedding recently and think this may be delayed shock loss. Please do let me know your thoughts on this.

Photos of hair combed wet and styled dry below:

F825F477-CD33-42A7-B478-CB29739AB62C.jpeg

BAB0E609-E839-4DC6-BAE6-3802D9F3783D.jpeg

19052FA0-AC25-4492-AB58-ACD524747365.jpeg

6689D162-C30D-41D5-94DC-33BF9E8E5AAA.jpeg

21F591D7-0EDC-4E9E-B87B-6FA21EF17FBA.png

58C48961-CBCA-4413-A735-C6F67456D554.jpeg

052607BA-B00E-4AA9-B9C1-26EC8E6FA3AA.png

62A1F8A7-807B-4F66-AE28-831E65510BA1.jpeg

DB537D41-5FBD-4E8C-BC4F-C07C011E9A4E.jpeg

C6527512-BA47-4D26-87A9-987AE7A0BB2A.jpeg

2FC0E5E7-6CE1-4DBF-B063-B7119FDAACAF.jpeg

3866D216-7EF2-40E4-A72C-97C3D9F29836.jpeg

B9D06A6A-5188-4FA1-9042-76CEBBDF388F.jpeg

48F693EB-5CD2-4586-AF62-7804B70EC35B.jpeg

This is indeed as good as it gets I think.  I find wet hair or gelled hair makes everything look much better, though.

Regarding the redness, my redness lasted over 2 years.  Eventually a trusted doctor (not a hair doctor) recommended a V-Beam laser for the redness; she did not do V-Beam treatments so there was no financial incentive for her.

I was recommended 3 V Beam treatments by the dermatologist who did the procedure; I only did 2 and the redness for all practical purposes is gone.  Sometimes I think about going back for a 3rd V-Beam, but one must shave one's head at the area where the V-Beam is applied.

I also have done 2 micro-needling and 3 Genius RF treatments for scaring and bumpy texture.  This has also greatly improved the appearance of my transplant area. This micro-needling and Genius RF are actually face treatments, but I purchased these with the understanding that the treatments would be extended to the hair transplant area to reduce scaring and bumpy texture.  The result has been great.

Regarding the darker hairs, I do not think they will lighten up over time, they will remain darker and thicker than hairs native to that area.  This is based on my transplant from over 10 years ago. I have spent many years plucking these darker hairs in hopes they might become more fine, but with mixed results. Maybe it has helped somewhat, but there are plenty dark, thicker hairs. I once had beautiful soft hairs at the front of my hairline, and now I have these coarse, Einstein hairs that I can't stand, but since I am now in my 50's they at least look somewhat age appropriate as many are going gray.  

Edited by harryforreal
Add to post.

18 minutes ago, harryforreal said:

This is indeed as good as it gets I think.  I find wet hair or gelled hair makes everything look much better, though.

Regarding the redness, my redness lasted over 2 years.  Eventually a trusted doctor (not a hair doctor) recommended a V-Beam laser for the redness; she did not do V-Beam treatments so there was no financial incentive for her.

I was recommended 3 V Beam treatments by the dermatologist who did the procedure; I only did 2 and the redness for all practical purposes is gone.  Sometimes I think about going back for a 3rd V-Beam, but one must shave one's head at the area where the V-Beam is applied.

I also have done 2 micro-needling and 3 Genius RF treatments for scaring and bumpy texture.  This has also greatly improved the appearance of my transplant area. This micro-needling and Genius RF are actually face treatments, but I purchased these with the understanding that the treatments would be extended to the hair transplant area to reduce scaring and bumpy texture.  The result has been great.

Regarding the darker hairs, I do not think they will lighten up over time, they will remain darker and thicker than hairs native to that area.  This is based on my transplant from over 10 years ago. I have spent many years plucking these darker hairs in hopes they might become more fine, but with mixed results. Maybe it has helped somewhat, but there are plenty dark, thicker hairs. I once had beautiful soft hairs at the front of my hairline, and now I have these coarse, Einstein hairs that I can't stand, but since I am now in my 50's they at least look somewhat age appropriate as many are going gray.  

Hi @harryforreal

Many thanks for your thoughts on this, it’s good to know there are treatments to help assist with the redness and any bumpiness.

Regarding redness I think it is fading away day by day so hopefully will not need to further treat it.

I do have some potting remaining from the previous surgeries and understood a derma roller 0.5mm would be a good idea to use. Never heard of Genius RF treatment, do you have an Amazon link you could share?

I absolutely agree that the hair tends to look more natural when it has more of a wet look as makes it seem more a uniform colour and softness up the appearance. My plan is to grow my hair out to 6inches and have it slicked back with a wax/pomade.

Appreciate the transplanted hair will never be the same colour as the soft temples but hopefully the sun will lighten it some. Grey hair would be a real benefit given the better skin/hair contrast.

Do you have your own thread or any photos I can see of how yours turned out after ten years?

5 minutes ago, HairNTear said:

Hi @harryforreal

Many thanks for your thoughts on this, it’s good to know there are treatments to help assist with the redness and any bumpiness.

Regarding redness I think it is fading away day by day so hopefully will not need to further treat it.

I do have some potting remaining from the previous surgeries and understood a derma roller 0.5mm would be a good idea to use. Never heard of Genius RF treatment, do you have an Amazon link you could share?

I absolutely agree that the hair tends to look more natural when it has more of a wet look as makes it seem more a uniform colour and softness up the appearance. My plan is to grow my hair out to 6inches and have it slicked back with a wax/pomade.

Appreciate the transplanted hair will never be the same colour as the soft temples but hopefully the sun will lighten it some. Grey hair would be a real benefit given the better skin/hair contrast.

Do you have your own thread or any photos I can see of how yours turned out after ten years?

I do not know anything about a derma roller, other than what people have posted in this forum. But, honestly, fuck it. Why spend months and years rolling your own head, and does it really improve scaring?

Just get the micro-needling or Genuis RF.  The micro-needling is less involved. The Genius is more intense, and may not be age appropriate for you, as my treatment practitioner tends to reserve it for older clients who need more intense treatment.

https://www.aesthetispa.com/services/skin-rejuvenation/micro-needling/

https://www.aesthetispa.com/services/skin-rejuvenation/infini-rf/

I have not put up any recent photos. I haven't even logged in very often in recent years. The fix for the redness and improvement to the scaring has left me pretty willing to accept the outcome of my transplant - though not totally as I'm still logging in to find someone with "perfect" results who may finally give me the hairline I originally wanted.  XD

But I am 52 now, and the many gray hairs I have now and quirky look of the transplant look more natural for someone in their 50's with hair loss. That's not to say it looks good. I just think when people look at me now, they think, oh, yeah, man in his 50's with some hair loss, gray hairs, coarse wild hairs, etc.....

It's not the worse hairline. Many people would be happy with what I have. But I'm very similar to you. My hair was similar to yours in color and texture, and not a significant amount of hair loss, but always a high hairline.

5 minutes ago, harryforreal said:

I do not know anything about a derma roller, other than what people have posted in this forum. But, honestly, fuck it. Why spend months and years rolling your own head, and does it really improve scaring?

Just get the micro-needling or Genuis RF.  The micro-needling is less involved. The Genius is more intense, and may not be age appropriate for you, as my treatment practitioner tends to reserve it for older clients who need more intense treatment.

https://www.aesthetispa.com/services/skin-rejuvenation/micro-needling/

https://www.aesthetispa.com/services/skin-rejuvenation/infini-rf/

I have not put up any recent photos. I haven't even logged in very often in recent years. The fix for the redness and improvement to the scaring has left me pretty willing to accept the outcome of my transplant - though not totally as I'm still logging in to find someone with "perfect" results who may finally give me the hairline I originally wanted.  XD

But I am 52 now, and the many gray hairs I have now and quirky look of the transplant look more natural for someone in their 50's with hair loss. That's not to say it looks good. I just think when people look at me now, they think, oh, yeah, man in his 50's with some hair loss, gray hairs, coarse wild hairs, etc.....

It's not the worse hairline. Many people would be happy with what I have. But I'm very similar to you. My hair was similar to yours in color and texture, and not a significant amount of hair loss, but always a high hairline.

LOL yeah rolling my head all the time doesn’t sound that appealing 😂

Yes the Micro-needling treatment seems to be a great idea. Do you have to shave your head where they are going to treat?

No worries, and yes we were dealt a kind of catch 22 with our hairlines. We either walk around with 7 head or get a transplant and lose the natural soft hairline we are born with 😅 

Anyway I’m glad to hear from your experience and if you do post any new photos, tag me.

1 minute ago, HairNTear said:

LOL yeah rolling my head all the time doesn’t sound that appealing 😂

Yes the Micro-needling treatment seems to be a great idea. Do you have to shave your head where they are going to treat?

No worries, and yes we were dealt a kind of catch 22 with our hairlines. We either walk around with 7 head or get a transplant and lose the natural soft hairline we are born with 😅 

Anyway I’m glad to hear from your experience and if you do post any new photos, tag me.

You do not have to shave your head for micro-needling or Genius RF.

You do have to shave your head in the area of the V-Beam treatment for redness.

Some pics I posted after V-Beam:

29 minutes ago, harryforreal said:

You do not have to shave your head for micro-needling or Genius RF.

You do have to shave your head in the area of the V-Beam treatment for redness.

Some pics I posted after V-Beam:

Wow the V-Beam laser really does work some magic there.

Your hair colour/texture looks almost identical to mine 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 11:58 PM, AlBrown said:

Truly remarkable, thanks for the shoutout on this result Melvin

No thinning on existing hair correct?  Both surgeries solely to lower the hairline?

Hi @AlBrown

thanks for the comment!

Yes this was indeed all to lower the hairline and there was no real hair loss prior.

I did start to notice shock loss at the 6months mark but it has began to slow down now and I remember this same thing happening during my previous surgeries.

UPDATE

Hi Everyone!

just wanted to give you a quick update that I’m booked for a visit to Dr Cooley’s office on Monday.

Reason being is that, as with most repairs some of the grafts that need removing will have been in the resting phase hidden under the skin at the time of surgery.

Dr Cooley had informed me of this prior to surgery so it was to be expected. The purpose of this visit will be to remove the outstanding stragglers (approx 20-30grafts) via fue and place them further back in the hairline.

This issue is mainly on my right hand side which was botched the most in my prior surgery.

Please see pic below.

43847A5A-ED11-4654-9EE4-F9735BC63329.jpeg

• Administrators
On 11/9/2021 at 10:26 AM, HairNTear said:

UPDATE

Hi Everyone!

just wanted to give you a quick update that I’m booked for a visit to Dr Cooley’s office on Monday.

Reason being is that, as with most repairs some of the grafts that need removing will have been in the resting phase hidden under the skin at the time of surgery.

Dr Cooley had informed me of this prior to surgery so it was to be expected. The purpose of this visit will be to remove the outstanding stragglers (approx 20-30grafts) via fue and place them further back in the hairline.

This issue is mainly on my right hand side which was botched the most in my prior surgery.

Please see pic below.

43847A5A-ED11-4654-9EE4-F9735BC63329.jpeg

Honestly it’s barely visible, but compared to the right said yes less natural.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Honestly it’s barely visible, but compared to the right said yes less natural.

Yeah you’re right, it’s livable but I think that all the research I’ve done in this field it stands out and would continue to bug me if I did not correct this last 30grafts or so.

The recovery shouldn’t be too intense and there won’t be any need to shave the hair so I’m hoping I’ll be okay to hide the fue red dots for the first 2 weeks by wearing my hair down.

Anyway Im excited to correct it and can’t wait for Monday.

Touch Up Procedure

Day After Pics from touch up surgery with Dr Cooley. 
As mentioned this was to further refine the hairline.

The primary focus was the right temple where several thick grafts were removed via fue, spliced into singles and replaced in the hairline.

In addition electrolysis was used to remove hairs just below the hair line to bring more of a naturally receding temple matching the left hand side.

Any comments or questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

56175D8F-F823-486C-B895-6CDE49200D76.jpeg

A067092A-FADF-49B9-BE76-7A5A475219E5.png

D7E09985-0D78-4BA7-ADFE-6984B6E5B196.png

CFBDE502-7A91-4BDD-B8E8-432127D7F2A1.png

• Administrators

You might have the best hairline on the forum now, definitely giving @Aftermath a run for his money. 

• Like 1

View my thread

22 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You might have the best hairline on the forum now, definitely giving @Aftermath a run for his money. 

Thanks Melvin, I’m just glad to be looking normal again 😅

have you got a link to aftermath’s journey? It would be great to see his transformation

• Administrators
On 11/17/2021 at 9:06 AM, HairNTear said:

2nd day after procedure, you can see the pinkness where the grafts where zapped via electrolysis and the red dots are the fue remnants.

B1FCE2CF-D725-4738-BFFC-90651DD0FAE7.jpeg

071DBF61-FAA7-4219-8C6E-93FF4D079533.jpeg

AD9838C8-D102-4F3D-B509-43496D9F7A3B.jpeg

4CC3AFDA-8296-49F0-B5A5-656B042D1D8B.jpeg

0F993EBC-98E5-4F8D-AA2C-2456EAC6DA1E.jpeg

E6DF67F1-DFFE-4927-9166-84D8A8400ACF.jpeg

Looking fantastic 

• Like 1

View my thread