Dutasteride vs Finasteride Safety

anker21

I've been doing some research on Dutasteride and wanted to get opinions. I read a lot of articles stating safety concerns when trying to conceive. Does anyone know more about this safety concern? Understanding it has a much longer half life compared to Finasteride and there does seem to be a lot of concerns when trying to conceive while on Finasteride. To those on Dutasteride what are your thoughts on this?

It's not the issue of trying to conceive i refer to but rather birth defects. This warning is mentioned for Dutasteride. However, i'm unsure if it's just precautionary or if there is some actual evidence to it.

How is Dutasteride working for you by the way? Have you ever tried Finasteride?

24 minutes ago, anker21 said:

It's not the issue of trying to conceive i refer to but rather birth defects.

Birth defects are not a potential side effect of guys taking it, they don't damage your sperm. Its just that they are possible if a pregnant woman handles the pills.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/dutasteride-oral-route/precautions/drg-20063575

Women and children should not use this medicine. Pregnant women or women who may become pregnant should not handle or touch the capsules. Dutasteride can be absorbed through the skin and can cause birth defects in male fetuses. If a pregnant woman does come in contact with this medicine, the affected area should be washed right away with soap and water, especially if the capsule is broken.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/dutasteride.html

Important Information

Dutasteride should never be taken by a woman or a child.

Dutasteride can cause birth defects if a woman is exposed to it during pregnancy. Dutasteride capsules should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or may become pregnant

Edited by ciaus

On 12/26/2020 at 6:08 PM, anker21 said:

I've been doing some research on Dutasteride and wanted to get opinions. I read a lot of articles stating safety concerns when trying to conceive. Does anyone know more about this safety concern? Understanding it has a much longer half life compared to Finasteride and there does seem to be a lot of concerns when trying to conceive while on Finasteride. To those on Dutasteride what are your thoughts on this?

There's no hard and fast answer to be found on here. There has been no in depth studies on humans on its affect when trying to conceive but there has been several on lab rats and monkeys which showed correlation to genitalia abnormalities, through the male and not just pregnant female contact. 

I am just in the process of trying for a second kid and would not personally consider using it under any circumstances whilst conceiving. It's each to their own and plenty of kids have been born whilst the male was on fin but why take the risk for hair maintenance. Even if their kid was born with underdeveloped genitals they would never come on a forum to shout about it so how would anyone know. 

You will have to weigh up risk and reward of your own circumstance.