Hair lifespan post procedure without propecia

Fahri

Hi folks, had anyone any thoughts or life experience of this scenario please?

Clinics always recommend a course of fin, as I’ll need more procedures over my lifetime without. This seems a fair trade off when I weigh up possible side effects, however I’m keen to read others life experience of this too.

Many thanks in advance 🙏

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fahri said:

Hi folks, had anyone any thoughts or life experience of this scenario please?

Clinics always recommend a course of fin, as I’ll need more procedures over my lifetime without. This seems a fair trade off when I weigh up possible side effects, however I’m keen to read others life experience of this too.

Many thanks in advance 🙏

I keep thinking about this all the time. :)

Yes, usually the most ethical doctors won't even operate on you if your hair loss has not stabilized from meds, or if you're young and have aggressive MPB. 

Speaking of long term HT patients who chose not to be on meds, well I've seen a couple of very good examples on this forum that it's possible, however sadly I've seen more individuals who were not able to keep up with their progressive hair loss. If this happens at a young age (30s, 40s), then usually it's devastating and there's little to be done. 

The way I see it, it depends on 3 very important factors:

It needs to be clear where you'll end up on the Norwood scale (imho this is not set in stone though! but it serves as an important starting point).

- your donor needs to be assessed both in quality and in quantity and have a good laid out plan for the future with realistic goals

- some compromises will have to be made, such as leaving your crown area thin and focusing on the frontal and midscalp regions instead

Then there's some individuals who are blessed with a lot of body hair, which is a great safety net, you can cover some areas or fix your depleted donor / donor scars. 

Personally I think it's very risky having hair transplants without being on medication, but I completely understand if somebody cannot take them due to side effects. Not even trying to take them ever, that's a bit reckless though. 

• Like 1

As someone who just had an HT 5 days ago and contemplating starting Finasteride from day 10, this has been on my mind too. 

Although my doctor has asked me to get on meds, she did say she'll leave the choice to me. I'm 26 and on the NW2 scale. Now with aggressive temple points I might have to get on it even though my hair loss is more or less stabilized. I picture myself ending up with a NW 3 or 4 in my 50s. 

Will follow this thread. 

Edited by Captain Haddock

I think it’s rather fair and ethical for a doctor to highly recommend medication to a patient concerned about their hair and willing to get a transplant. Hair transplants will not for most people give full coverage and your hair loss will continue to progress. 

you don’t have much to lose by trying it for yourself. Sides are rare according to every study, and if you do get sides, they will subside when you come off treatment. At least then after trying it for a year, you know whether it’s something you’ll continue or if it’s effective, and if not, you’ll have a better strategy with approaching a hair transplant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UnbaldEagle said:

It needs to be clear where you'll end up on the Norwood scale (imho this is not set in stone though! but it serves as an important starting point).

Unless the pattern is obvious how do you go about determining this though? Is it not just guess work?

3 minutes ago, BLE123 said:

Unless the pattern is obvious how do you go about determining this though? Is it not just guess work?

Age, family history are also indicators besides the pattern, but I agree, it's also a guesstimate, I think nobody can 100% claim they will end up a NW5 and not a NW6 or worse. 

• Administrators

Great topic,

Dr. Bisanga touched on this subject. I’ll be sure to post it on Instagram and YouTube. If the hair is taken out of the patients individual safe zone it will last a lifetime. Now, EVERYONE’S hair thins over time. We cannot expect to have the same donor we have at 20, when we’re 90. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The following bitesize video, I had scheduled to post next week on its own thread, which I will still do. But as we are speaking about donor areas and our "safe" donor area essentially getting smaller in terms of surface area as we age and as hair loss evolves, but as Melvin mentioned, even within what may be our eventual and genuine "safe" donor area, hair will thin and density will decline as part of our ageing process just as with our skin, organs, mobility etc. even in those that do not suffer any real loss.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Yeah this is something that's always on my mind when it comes to transplants. Currently on NW2-2.5 at 26. Got sides from finasteride and I already had gyno so dropped it after a few weeks. Been using Minoxidil for a little over a month and I do have some weak hairs growing on my right temple, left is still pretty terrible and I haven't checked my crown yet. I'll probably be like Melvin and have surgeries every couple of years and use Min for maintenance (especially for crown). I also have quite a bit of body hair which I'll likely use to save my crown and probably temples. 

Hoping Clascoterone releases soon as that sounds really promising. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, UnbaldEagle said:

I keep thinking about this all the time. :)

Yes, usually the most ethical doctors won't even operate on you if your hair loss has not stabilized from meds, or if you're young and have aggressive MPB. 

Speaking of long term HT patients who chose not to be on meds, well I've seen a couple of very good examples on this forum that it's possible, however sadly I've seen more individuals who were not able to keep up with their progressive hair loss. If this happens at a young age (30s, 40s), then usually it's devastating and there's little to be done. 

The way I see it, it depends on 3 very important factors:

- your donor needs to be assessed both in quality and in quantity and have a good laid out plan for the future with realistic goals

- some compromises will have to be made, such as leaving your crown area thin and focusing on the frontal and midscalp regions instead

Then there's some individuals who are blessed with a lot of body hair, which is a great safety net, you can cover some areas or fix your depleted donor / donor scars. 

Personally I think it's very risky having hair transplants without being on medication, but I completely understand if somebody cannot take them due to side effects. Not even trying to take them ever, that's a bit reckless though. 

Im glad you feel the same, its reassuring to know that as many are big advocates of propecia. Im mid 40's and use regaine which has helped massively, I just darent go for the fin, whilst I accept that it most likely will be fine I have read that some people dont bounce back to the man they were before, if they experience sides that is, I read on here that sometimes these things can go on for many years which is too much of a risk for me.

Good points on the Norwood scale, I believe Im pushing towards a stage 3 vertex, as in the wrong light my hair looks awful then sometimes after the hair has been washed it can look amazing, frustrating and strange. Farjo in Manchester UK have looked at my hair and discussed planning for future operations and were the only clinic that didnt bang on about finasteride use, although any clinic is set to gain from more transplants over time this is true. 

On 12/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, UnbaldEagle said:

BTW, this is a great thread, hopefully a lot of members will chime in with their personal experience too. :)

Thank you @UnbaldEagle I do hope so, I believe many of us are apprehensive about finasteride. 

On 12/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, TorontoMan said:

I think it’s rather fair and ethical for a doctor to highly recommend medication to a patient concerned about their hair and willing to get a transplant. Hair transplants will not for most people give full coverage and your hair loss will continue to progress. 

you don’t have much to lose by trying it for yourself. Sides are rare according to every study, and if you do get sides, they will subside when you come off treatment. At least then after trying it for a year, you know whether it’s something you’ll continue or if it’s effective, and if not, you’ll have a better strategy with approaching a hair transplant.

I had considered this, although a similar post on here (should be able to locate with a search) reveals some users experiencing side effects that have continued many years after ceasing their course of medication, its really made their lives worse.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:57 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great topic,

Dr. Bisanga touched on this subject. I’ll be sure to post it on Instagram and YouTube. If the hair is taken out of the patients individual safe zone it will last a lifetime. Now, EVERYONE’S hair thins over time. We cannot expect to have the same donor we have at 20, when we’re 90. 

Thanks @Melvin-Moderatorthats reassuring, I honestly did not know that, it makes complete sense I guess. I wasnt sure to what degree the fin was needed, to help keep the new hair in as well as maintain the areas that are thinning. Good to clarify!

On 12/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Raphael84 said:

The following bitesize video, I had scheduled to post next week on its own thread, which I will still do. But as we are speaking about donor areas and our "safe" donor area essentially getting smaller in terms of surface area as we age and as hair loss evolves, but as Melvin mentioned, even within what may be our eventual and genuine "safe" donor area, hair will thin and density will decline as part of our ageing process just as with our skin, organs, mobility etc. even in those that do not suffer any real loss.

Thank you for posting this, I found it really useful, I imagine others will too.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:23 PM, TheDarkHour said:

Yeah this is something that's always on my mind when it comes to transplants. Currently on NW2-2.5 at 26. Got sides from finasteride and I already had gyno so dropped it after a few weeks. Been using Minoxidil for a little over a month and I do have some weak hairs growing on my right temple, left is still pretty terrible and I haven't checked my crown yet. I'll probably be like Melvin and have surgeries every couple of years and use Min for maintenance (especially for crown). I also have quite a bit of body hair which I'll likely use to save my crown and probably temples. 

@TheDarkHourif you can, do stick with the minoxidil (Regaine?) as from my own personal experience I have found it to be great at filling in some of these areas. Its a subtle improvement but sometimes that's a big change for us, to see even fine hair where there was none. My temples and crown are the key areas too. I believe I'll be taking the same route as yourself & Melvin, for mental clarity & stability of mood, libido etc.. its a safest trade-off. Im also reassured by the new techniques to use beard and body hair if donor is limited, which could be a possible future scenario. Thanks for bringing Clascoterone to my attention, I knew topical fin equivalents were in the pipeline so its good to see one on the cusp of release. The price looks a shocker per month, although that should come down when the licenses change/expire.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, Captain Haddock said:

As someone who just had an HT 5 days ago and contemplating starting Finasteride from day 10, this has been on my mind too. 

Although my doctor has asked me to get on meds, she did say she'll leave the choice to me. I'm 26 and on the NW2 scale. Now with aggressive temple points I might have to get on it even though my hair loss is more or less stabilized. I picture myself ending up with a NW 3 or 4 in my 50s. 

Will follow this thread. 

Edited by jolly

On 12/16/2020 at 11:27 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great topic,

fair point , age will thin  hair regardless you are on fin or not .... although im hoping bezzula  will be safe and we can then just forget about the risks of disrupting our hormones

Edited by jolly

On 12/17/2020 at 10:23 AM, TheDarkHour said:

Curious about When you say 'already had gyno'.

Is this a potential side effect of fin?

Or are you suggesting here that gyno was due to already high estrogen, and you are worried fin would make it worse?

Reason I'm asking is because I had bad gyno during puberty, and had to get reduction surgery at 23

Edited by Ronnieman

I would say HT is almost a no go without medications unless you go very conservative, maybe. I reached out about 10 clinics and they all say i need to use Finasteride for like a year before planning for an HT.

10 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

Curious about When you say 'already had gyno'.

Is this a potential side effect of fin?

Or are you suggesting here that gyno was due to already high estrogen, and you are worried fin would make it worse?

Reason I'm asking is because I had bad gyno during puberty, and had to get reduction surgery at 23

Gyno is a rare side effect of finasteride. Had it since my preteens and didn't want to risk worsening it so dropped it after experiencing other side effects. Was thinking of getting back on fin at a lower dosage but was advised against by hair doctors/surgeons. Not sure what my hormone levels are but having gyno was enough for me to stop using it. I'd have a chat with your doctor and get your hormone levels checked out before continuing to use it. 

Edited by TheDarkHour

• 4 weeks later...

I often wonder if after years of using regaine, how my hair would be without it (awful I imagine, given previous stories)

Also if I had a procedure, is my current hairline my 'real' and truthful hairline, I say this as if I let my regime slip at any point after a procedure I could (in my mind) end up looking rather unusual with parts thinning out and not in keeping with any newly sculpted areas.

The above dawned on me the other day, when I reflected on some good procedure stories/pictures. In some ways my head of hair without any regaine would be the best to work with, as it would tell the honest picture of my hair in its natural state (even though that doesnt bear thinking about) that way a procedure would build up all of the genuinely thinning areas properly.

If that makes any sense to anyone I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Evening folks, thought I would check back in on this thread after having a turnaround (lots of weighing up pro's and cons over the past 5 years or so) and deciding to 'try' finasteride. After 5 consultations they all mention trying it, and that it could be the game changer to help establish what I can offer long term.

I started at the end of March and I can honestly say Im impressed, so far no side effects whatsoever in mood (maybe even heightened although they say thats the change in testosterone) or libido/functionality. I dont have massive growth around the crown or temples, but something is happening and it does make me feel very positive.