Dr. Ron Shapiro Side By Side Study FUT and FUE Lifetime Grafts

40 minutes ago, SLA said:

It seems like common sense @Melvin-Moderatorhowever, for the reasons laid out above, not all doctors seem to agree and their points seem like they could have validity, no?

But the posts above give the impression that 90% of doctors think combo will yield radically more lifetime grafts, like 2,000 more. 

This website always favored FUT over FUE. I wonder if the doctors favoring FUT somehow ended up here, or if legitimately 90% of the general experienced doctor pool believes the combo yields 2,000 more lifetime grafts. 

40 minutes ago, olmert said:

But the posts above give the impression that 90% of doctors think combo will yield radically more lifetime grafts, like 2,000 more. 

This website always favored FUT over FUE. I wonder if the doctors favoring FUT somehow ended up here, or if legitimately 90% of the general experienced doctor pool believes the combo yields 2,000 more lifetime grafts. 

I feel your frustration @olmert. It would be great if we could narrow down on an absolute regarding this issue and the best we have to go on is the Shapiro study. Does one study prove an absolute? No. Could the methodology have been off? For sure- my wife is a neuroscientist and knows all about methodological issue with studies. Has this study been replicated? Was it double blind? No. Could it be biased? Maybe. Could they not have taken all things into account? Sure

Some FUE doctors claim doctors who perform FUT as favoring this technique because it takes WAY less time for the surgeon to perform. Could this be true? Perhaps.

Could FUE doctors claiming FUE alone can yield more grafts than the combined FUT/FUE be biased? For sure!

As I mentioned above, you can read the article I posted in the FUE forum titled, 'The Case for FUE' and re-read the 9 FUE counterarguments I detailed earlier in this post and you will have to come to your own conclusions.

What would prove more of an absolute for me is for there to be several studies performed to test this hypothesis which all point to the same conclusion. 

Until then, you will just have to go with this and trust your gut.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, olmert said:

What are you taking about, it’s quite the opposite did you see the interview? 

I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

So when they take hair out for FUE, they don't take from the FUT donor region? I remember reading years back not to do FUE before FUT because the FUE would take hairs from the strip region, and then the strip would have fewer hairs. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, olmert said:

That’s because it will. It’s common knowledge that using both methods yields more hair, how much is debatable, but I personally feel a minimum of 1,000 grafts extra.

Melvin- Associate Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That’s because it will. It’s common knowledge that using both methods yields more hair, how much is debatable, but I personally feel a minimum of 1,000 grafts extra.

That just makes me question why dr Zarev uses only FUE. His patients need to have long hair after surgery anyway, because donor with over 10000 grafts used would look bad with short cut. Do you think he just cant use FUT?

• Administrators
Just now, nicoandgello said:

That just makes me question why dr Zarev uses only FUE. His patients need to have long hair after surgery anyway, because donor with over 10000 grafts used would look bad with short cut. Do you think he just cant use FUT?

In order to perform FUT you need to have a team of technicians who can sliver and dissect the grafts. If you perform large FUT's like Hasson and Wong you need to have an even bigger team and they need to have a lot of experience. I don't think there are that many people as experienced in Europe, especially now. It's just easier to find a team that are proficient at FUE in Europe.

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What are you taking about, it’s quite the opposite did you see the interview? 

But I don't understand. Why does the video say it does not matter whether you get FUT or FUE first? Why are there old posts on this forum that say you should do the FUT first, that say if you do FUE first, then the strip will simply have fewer grafts on it because they were plucked out from the FUE?

8 hours ago, olmert said:

But I don't understand. Why does the video say it does not matter whether you get FUT or FUE first? Why are there old posts on this forum that say you should do the FUT first, that say if you do FUE first, then the strip will simply have fewer grafts on it because they were plucked out from the FUE?

You can have FUE 1st, but that being said, if you do FUT afterwards there will be fewer hairs in the strip because some were already extracted from that area via FUE. What I believe one needs to be mindful of is extracting too many grafts via FUE 1st as the donor area will thinner and one will not have any residual hair to hide a strip scar.

In the webinar with Ron Shapiro, he made a comment about not exceeding 4k grafts with FUE if one wanted to do FUT afterwards. 4k is probably an estimate and depends on the individual and donor region.

7 minutes ago, SLA said:

In the webinar with Ron Shapiro, he made a comment about not exceeding 4k grafts with FUE if one wanted to do FUT afterwards. 4k is probably an estimate and depends on the individual and donor region.

But you are saying you would be a fool to do even one FUE graft first and then after take out a strip with a hole punched in it. You say to do the FUT before even one FUE.

So why does the webinar say it does not matter which one you do first: a 4,000 graft FUE or an FUT?  Why would you want the FUT strip to have even one hole punched in it? 

Edited by olmert
  • Administrators
11 hours ago, olmert said:

That is what is debatable, it was always thought that you should FUT first, but Shapiro thinks you can FUE first as long as it’s under 3000 grafts. 

3 hours ago, olmert said:

But you are saying you would be a fool to do even one FUE graft first and then after take out a strip with a hole punched in it. You say to do the FUT before even one FUE.

So why does the webinar say it does not matter which one you do first: a 4,000 graft FUE or an FUT?  Why would you want the FUT strip to have even one hole punched in it? 

I am not saying that. If you do FUE 1st the FUT strip will inevitably have less yield, but those grafts that are missing from the strip have already been extracted via FUE and placed in the recipient area. So you are getting all the grafts from the FUT strip, but some had already been extracted and implanted 1st via FUE.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

That is what is debatable, it was always thought that you should FUT first, but Shapiro thinks you can FUE first as long as it’s under 3000 grafts. 

True @Melvin-Moderator. I am pretty sure Shapiro actually said not to exceed 4k FUE grafts (rather than 3k). Josephitis was clear in saying he felt that lifetime there are ~3k grafts available trough both methods.

20 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

But why a 3K or 4K limit? According to SLA, you won't lose lifetime grafts with FUE before FUT. You will first punch out the grafts in FUE. Then you will take a strip with holes. No loss, he says. 

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, olmert said:

But why a 3K or 4K limit? According to SLA, you won't lose lifetime grafts with FUE before FUT. You will first punch out the grafts in FUE. Then you will take a strip with holes. No loss, he says. 

Well, FUE decreases overall density, so if you do get an FUT after extracting 6-7k grafts, the scar will be a lot more visible. It’s possible, yes, but not advisable.