FUT or FUE Which Is Better? Dr. Konior Answers

41 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

But for FUE, you are extracting outside the "safe zone" donor area so your transplant hair is less likely to last compared to FUT. Am I wrong? 

If you are to compare the two methods, then the answer to the 'likely' part is yes as you are extracting from the most DHT resistant area of the scalp with FUT. But as Melvin pointed out it does come down to the patients individual safe zone. But generally speaking, no you are not wrong.

This question came up yesterday with a patient that was a Norwood 5 and had let his hair grow quite long to conceal his crown loss.  As he did not want to shave his hair and it was his first procedure that would not go near his crown loss he opted to go for FUT to repair his anterior hairline and midscalp.  Understanding patient goals is important to deciding what is best for the individual. 

Youtuber David DiMuzio did a similar video with his hair transplant doctor Steve cook, and he mentioned that a person is only a fue candidate if they don't have hair loss gene running in their family and just looking to fill in some thinning/bald area, if you have thick dark, straight hair, and if you are just have minor hair loss. What are your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

Youtuber David DiMuzio did a similar video with his hair transplant doctor Steve cook, and he mentioned that a person is only a fue candidate if they don't have hair loss gene running in their family and just looking to fill in some thinning/bald area, if you have thick dark, straight hair, and if you are just have minor hair loss. What are your thoughts? 

DiMuzio is an idiot - he’s a classic case of proclaiming his way or the high way to make himself comfortable and justify his decisions (3x FUT’s - 1 horrible looking scar). 

FUE is only acceptable on patients who don’t have hairloss in their families? Lmao . . You might as well say wearing a winter jacket is only acceptable if you don’t go outside into the cold. 

If you require a hair transplant, the likelihood that another male in your family tree has suffered hairloss is 99.9999999999999%. 

There are candidates that present to be more suited for one or the other, sure . . But to say that is the only patient criteria that should warrant FUE is absurd. 

Look at @Zoomster @Melvin-Moderator @Abhinay Singh @Rolandas @Craig2412 . . All mid to high NW’s who have had FUE only.

Ask DiMuzio if he thinks it didn’t work out for them 😂

On 5/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, Dr. Neil Verma said:

This question came up yesterday with a patient that was a Norwood 5 and had let his hair grow quite long to conceal his crown loss.  As he did not want to shave his hair and it was his first procedure that would not go near his crown loss he opted to go for FUT to repair his anterior hairline and midscalp.  Understanding patient goals is important to deciding what is best for the individual. 

Great answer!...😉

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: True & Dorin Medical in New York, NY

IMO FUE all the Way, Also check out DHI! FUT is outdated and is more traumatic. Personally i would go with DHI, or Micro FUE + sapphire or platinum tip which reduces the the size/hole when the canals are opened by the tool. It recovers faster that way as well. :).  Trusted doctor with good experience who does the canal opening himself. Both DHI and FUE are actually FUE methods, FUE manual and DHI is more about the difference in the pen they use and the size of the tip and at which angles the hairs are implanted. This effects density greatly. 

20 hours ago, John Justice said:

IMO FUE all the Way, Also check out DHI! FUT is outdated and is more traumatic. Personally i would go with DHI, or Micro FUE + sapphire or platinum tip which reduces the the size/hole when the canals are opened by the tool. It recovers faster that way as well. :).  Trusted doctor with good experience who does the canal opening himself. Both DHI and FUE are actually FUE methods, FUE manual and DHI is more about the difference in the pen they use and the size of the tip and at which angles the hairs are implanted. This effects density greatly. 

Sapphire tipped blades, dhi, etc….all marketing terms used by many Turkish clinics.

The fact of the matter is most top clinics such as H&w, konior/Nadimi, bisanga, hattingen, all offer both fut and fue. Starting with fut first you’ll have a greater lifetime supply of grafts compared to just fue alone. Not only that, fue has a higher transaction rate.

you mention higher density with dhi but again that’s just marketing. Hasson is known for his high density results and he utilizes custom cut blades as far as I know.

trust me, I went to a very well known fue only clinic and got mediocre results and partial depletion of my donor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lot’s of good points and yes, many of the top docs use custom blades that create their incision sites.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: True & Dorin Medical in New York, NY