Dr Bruno Ferreira - 1998 Grafts - 25 November 2020

Londoner7

Hello everyone, this forum has helped me a lot and so it is only right I give back by making my own report.

I am 30 years old nw3 and had my hair transplant in Portugal with Dr Bruno Ferreira on November 25th 2020, I was originally due to have it done on 6 January 2020 but a family issue stopped my plans.

A quick shout out to @LondonRamen for advising me he was still travelling for his op during the lockdown as I would have had to wait an extra 2 months and also lost my flight money as Tap air continued flying and had a 150euro fee per flight change. Also thanks to @Rolandas and @Portugal25 for advising me and helping with any questions I had.

Travelling during the lockdown was a bit worrying as I did not know if I would be denied at the airport etc. but it actually turned out to be a good thing. Heathrow airport was so quiet and getting throw security was very fast. Coming home through Porto airport was even better as all shops were still open and security had no line at all and was also very quiet which was better for me with my red head 😄. Also the flight there and back was at most 50% capacity so had plenty of space.

I stayed at the Solverde Apartments in a 1 bedroom suite my friend came with me and he had the sofa bed. it was a nice apartment with kitchen etc that we stocked up with snacks from the local supermarket, Wi-Fi was very fast and my friend brought his ps4 to play at night and had no issues.

The day of the Op

Breakfast starts at 7am at the hotel which I think is common but I had to be at the clinic for 7:30 so literally only had 15 minutes to eat, managed to have some scrambled eggs, bacon and a croissant. I got a taxi to the clinic and arrived at 7;25 to notice directly opposite is a very nice looking café and it was open, I was gutted I did not go there over my hotels breakfast. 

I went in to the clinic and had my own room for the day were I would eat lunch and leave my belongings. Dr Ferreira came to see me shortly after and is genuinely a very nice guy. We had a chat and signed some paperwork and then we went to take the pre-op photos, draw hairline and shave my head. Dr Bruno drew a general hairline as a starting point and then welcomed my input, he mentioned that one of my temples goes back more then the other but it is good not to have perfect symmetry in the hairline. I tweaked the hairline slightly and we agreed it was good. 

The original plan was to fill in the hairline with around 1500-1800 grafts and also add some density to my midscalp as in pictures it looked like it was losing density which a few other Drs also said but once shaved Dr Bruno said that actually it was not less dense it is just the angle the hair grows at which make it look more see through. The is a bump there on my head so the hair must go up with the bump I guess but I was happy to hear I was not thinning there after all. I think he ended up adding something like 10-15 grafts in a couple of gaps he said at most.

The day was split in to 4 mini sessions of extraction and then implantation with the back then each side and then the last session was to extract a few more grafts. I ended up having 1998 grafts ( 5480 Hairs) with an average hair/graft ratio of 2.74. The end graft count was higher due to my lowering the hairline.

We finished the day around 8pm and I was given my post op care pack and instructions for after care, by this point I was pretty tired.

I got back to my hotel and sprayed my head with the saline spray a few times and went to sleep.

14.jpg.6fac5324d61213173331ee87ce02dc99.jpg13.jpg.aa5f34481291cead38b6ae14aea339f6.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.c87f472a59a69ac35993d59062d7153c.jpg12.thumb.jpg.cdff65dc53a391c93793e3acd8ab713e.jpg

16.jpg.4799637b4a399f349af3dfe3ebd13721.jpg A lot of triples and quads :)

Post Op Day 1

Woke up a few times in the night and sprayed my head, and checked I had not scratched which thankfully I never. 

I went to the clinic to have my head wash before flying home, once there Dr Bruno commented that I had some fibrin building up on my grafts and advised me to spray saline more often around 15-20 minutes. It looked like large bloody scabs sort of that had built up whilst I slept. Dr Bruno washed off the fibrin using saline spray and It looked nice and clean once again as below. After this I sprayed all the time and never had this issue again.

10.jpg.c59cc71a70a5dbd50b5fbff32c0aa5c8.jpg9.jpg.c66c18664cb443788c3f192eaa96e0b1.jpg8.jpg.ee049f41e26aa8c8752cbb380064c727.jpg7.jpg.a2c09569ce44b60eeb8b4c296b6bc8c6.jpg

Day 1 +

Once home I took it easy for the first few days and began washing my hair from day 4 and applying aloe Vera twice a day after washes. my scabs came off around day 7-8 and everything is looking good.

I am now at day 17 and I've noticed over the last few days hair are slowly starting to shed 😥 I knew they would but hoped I'd be in the small percent that kept them all haha.

Dr Bruno said he used a 0.8mm punch, he said my grafts were longer then average and he had to change his punch to once with more depth, I was going to book with Dr Pekiner before but worried about my surgery being aborted due to small grafts, seems I would have been fine in the end.

He used the lion implanter pens and he said he was using a 0.62mm implanter for the single hair grafts in the hairline and a 0.8mm for the others. He explained to me that it depends on the size of your grafts and how many hair they contain to which size punch/pen he would use as everyone is different.

My hair thickness was on average 48 microns which he said is about average but it is pretty fine. 

I take finasteride but not minoxidil.

Day 2 after spraying saline

6.jpg.84d21f8b3cf06deab0f7fcb3fe6ad185.jpg

Day 9 

2.jpg.4d58100704dd55a67c14eeb0834dbc48.jpg3.jpg.931c81d40244d767a30702c337132708.jpg

I think I have covered everything please ask any questions and I will update often.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Londoner7
  • Like 2

Congratulations on taking the leap towards a full head of hair.

Your recipient area at 9 days is simply amazing and the hairline design is perfect with a very natural look.

The donor looks very clean like all other Dr. BF patients.

Keep posting pictures so we can follow your progress.

Wish you all the best!

Looks like you're off to a good start. Did you choose your lodging based on recommendations from the clinic/other posters or was it your own selection?

Edit: also wanted to ask if you had any unshaved pre op images.

Edited by Mycroft

7 minutes ago, Portugal25 said:

Congratulations on taking the leap towards a full head of hair.

Your recipient area at 9 days is simply amazing and the hairline design is perfect with a very natural look.

The donor looks very clean like all other Dr. BF patients.

Keep posting pictures so we can follow your progress.

Wish you all the best!

Thanks Portugal :)

Just now, Mycroft said:

Looks like you're off to a good start. Did you choose your lodging based on recommendations from the clinic/other posters or was it your own selection.

Alexandra the Drs assistant gave me a list of hotels they recommend nearby then I just chose one based on price and quality. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Looks like you're off to a good start. Did you choose your lodging based on recommendations from the clinic/other posters or was it your own selection?

Edit: also wanted to ask if you had any unshaved pre op images.

Yes sorry forgot to add some,

22.thumb.jpg.431b8a546cc5ab3ebec30c51deb65018.jpg21.thumb.jpg.4c1e281514099fcb970142b758ea96c2.jpg20.thumb.jpg.a432d7b64ac2b5e7415202cce8531dad.jpg23.thumb.jpg.9c33cfbc9077f7fe2f580b0c54694716.jpg

• Like 1

Also forgot to mention my twin brother had his hair transplant in 2018 at Asmed and I went with him, since then it has slowly built up my desire to have one, luckily my hair loss was less I think I got more of my mums side as the males have no hair loss but our dads side does. his user name is @Jammerz if any1 is interested to look.

Edited by Londoner7
  • Like 1

Just now, Londoner7 said:

Also forgot to mention my twin brother had his hair transplant in 2018 at Asmed and I went with him, since then it has slowly built up my desire to have one, luckily my hair loss was less I think I got more of my mums side as the males have no hair loss but our dads side does. his user name is @Jammerz if any1 is interested to look.

Oh that is interesting 🤔 do you have similar hair loss ? 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnAC71 said:

Oh that is interesting 🤔 do you have similar hair loss ? 

No he had the temple recession but also midscalp going and I think he had a few grafts in his crown. He had over double mine but Asmed do like to go on the higher side of graft numbers I believe, Dr Erdogan examined my hair whilst i was there and quoted me 3000 grafts for hairline reconstruction which I thought at the time was a bit much. 

Great write up and of course amazing hairline. I'm always impressed by Dr. Ferreira's hairlines as you can clearly see finer singles in the very front. Not many places are actually taking the time to find those finer singles!

I had some fibrin build up after surgery as well, so been spraying a lot of saline (pretty much every 20 min) for the first2 days :D

48 microns is definitely fine hair. I had 50/51 (just to give you an idea). Average hair/graft is really impressive. This should give you a great density!

Next few months will be with no change after shedding is finished, so grow some patients and focus on other things in life. Once day you'll be surprised to see some movement happening in there! :) 

1st FUE28/01/2020 - 3659 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira
2nd FUE - 03/06/2021 - 2881 grafts - Dr. Bruno Ferreira

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

• Valued Contributor

Dr. Ferreira’s work always looks so perfectly refined from beginning to end. I always enjoy seeing his cases. Thanks for posting and Congrats! I look forward to your end result. People will be able to tell you and your brother apart by your hairlines now! Lol

3 minutes ago, Rolandas said:

Great write up and of course amazing hairline. I'm always impressed by Dr. Ferreira's hairlines as you can clearly see finer singles in the very front. Not many places are actually taking the time to find those finer singles!

I had some fibrin build up after surgery as well, so been spraying a lot of saline (pretty much every 20 min) for the first2 days :D

48 microns is definitely fine hair. I had 50/51 (just to give you an idea). Average hair/graft is really impressive. This should give you a great density!

Next few months will be with no change after shedding is finished, so grow some patients and focus on other things in life. Once day you'll be surprised to see some movement happening in there! :) 

Thanks Rolandas, yeah its gonna be a slow couple of months but hopefully by summer I have a nice hairline.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steeeve said:

Dr. Ferreira’s work always looks so perfectly refined from beginning to end. I always enjoy seeing his cases. Thanks for posting and Congrats! I look forward to your end result. People will be able to tell you and your brother apart by your hairlines now! Lol

Thanks lol

• Administrators

Looking good man, I’m very glad we’re seeing more Dr. BF threads. I’ll be following your progress closely happy growing 😎🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

46 minutes ago, LondonRamen said:

Looks good man! Donor looking impeccable once again 1 day post-op (especially central donor area). There's definitely something to his skills since everyone i've seen so far has the donor look pretty good afterwards from him!

Thanks Mate hoping we both have knockout results

23 minutes ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Damn, looks super clean. Is it true that he used finer singles in the very front as @Rolandas suggested?

I'd say it looks pretty similar to mine and every other post-op I've seen from Dr. Ferreira.

20200210_143533.thumb.jpg.b6a849d4d674813251fa58780c8dc96d.jpg

• Like 1

Follow me on YouTube

I'm not a medical professional, thus any information given by me is my own observation and should not be treated as professional advice.

1 minute ago, giegnosiganoe said:

Do you notice the finer singles now that your results are in? Do you have any videos where you examined that?

Pretty much any update i do close ups, you can have a look :D Yes, they are finer singles.

Follow me on YouTube