[I'm just looking for a timeline from others' experience]:

How long after the surgery until you start feeling normal again (like you were before surgery)?

• how many weeks/months does it take?
  • when does the pain, tightness, and numbness go away?
  • when do you get your normal sensation back?

I'm in post-op day 5 and the back of my scalp still tingles/burns/stings. It is also numb in certain areas. The staples hurt like hell at night and can't sleep properly due to positioning & putting pressure on the staples. My scalp is still feeling tight. 

im 5 weeks post-op FUT and still feel sore on my incision line. Numbness in the recipient and tightness in the donor faded by week 3 or 4.

only thing still lingering is soreness on the incision line and numbness above the incision line. however its slowly fading a little each day. I'd say in another 2-3 weeks it should be gone which would align with 2 months post op

5 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

im 5 weeks post-op FUT and still feel sore on my incision line. Numbness in the recipient and tightness in the donor faded by week 3 or 4.

only thing still lingering is soreness on the incision line and numbness above the incision line. however its slowly fading a little each day. I'd say in another 2-3 weeks it should be gone which would align with 2 months post op

oh dang so it takes a long time doesn't it

10 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

yup. i was under the impression i’d be feeling good once the staples came out but that wasn’t the case. i used a neck pillow sleeping for like the first 3 weeks or so

when did you start sleeping down (with belly towards the bed)? I miss wearing crew neck t-shirts and sleeping in comfortable positions (but obviously don't want to dislodge any grafts).

The first week for me was miserable. I was sore, could barely sleep, and everything was tight and achy. Day 4 itching starting taking over and it turned into constant little pins and needles which made it impossible to sleep, probably getting an hour tops from day 4-6.

Then around the 7-8ish day mark I was able to sleep relatively better with some mild discomfort on the staples. Day 10 when the staples were removed I had a bit of tenderness, but slept like a baby. I would say you described a lot of my same worries in your original post so I'd give it a few more days, especially when staples are removed (assuming you went to Bloxham like I did based on your other posts) it'll be way better.

I'm just at 2.5 weeks post-op and things have gotten back to normal for the most part, just the occasional shivers/tingles on the scars and slight numbness above the scar and on the recipient area.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, New Hair NYC said:

The first week for me was miserable. I was sore, could barely sleep, and everything was tight and achy. Day 4 itching starting taking over and it turned into constant little pins and needles which made it impossible to sleep, probably getting an hour tops from day 4-6.

Then around the 7-8ish day mark I was able to sleep relatively better with some mild discomfort on the staples. Day 10 when the staples were removed I had a bit of tenderness, but slept like a baby. I would say you described a lot of my same worries in your original post so I'd give it a few more days, especially when staples are removed (assuming you went to Bloxham like I did based on your other posts) it'll be way better.

I'm just at 2.5 weeks post-op and things have gotten back to normal for the most part, just the occasional shivers/tingles on the scars and slight numbness above the scar and on the recipient area.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really needed to hear this and be reassured that i'm not the only one going through the same symptoms. Is there a difference between removing staples at 10 days vs 14 days? I really want to take them out as soon as possible (10th day mark), but I also want to make sure that my scar has the best healing possible and would tolerate 4 more days if there is a benefit.

1 hour ago, New Hair NYC said:

also that's still pretty crazy that we will still have numbness at the recipient and donor area 2.5 weeks out! I wonder how long it takes to regain normal sensation in the whole scalp like we were before the surgery.

46 minutes ago, baldiee said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really needed to hear this and be reassured that i'm not the only one going through the same symptoms. Is there a difference between removing staples at 10 days vs 14 days? I really want to take them out as soon as possible (10th day mark), but I also want to make sure that my scar has the best healing possible and would tolerate 4 more days if there is a benefit.

Can't speak too much on the science behind the scar and what not, but mine is looking and feeling great with just 10 days, so I couldn't imagine an extra 4 days doing anything I could notice. When I was asking questions to Dr. Bloxham he seemed pretty chill about next steps (ie. exercise wouldn't affect the scar) so I think it's safe to say that the scar healing is more about how your body heals and less about how long the staples are in.

Recovery is a tough process. Most people do not really feel like themselves for at least a month, and it is not uncommon to feel out of sorts for longer. Some people have shock loss despite fin and some people have severe crusting despite religiously washing and shampooing. It just happens.