Dr Arshad- The Hair Dr 4,817 FUE

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Things are definitely improving, although the hairline is lagging a bit behind. I believe it’ll catch up around the 9-10 month mark. Looking good though. Crown takes longer to mature as well. Maybe a bit past 12 months. 

62C731DF-9CBA-4C52-A9B4-D23F2F626ED0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would expect more at this stage , particularly with your hairline.

Having zoomed in on your hairline progress , I think it is likely you’ll need a second pass to add to the density, not a huge cause for concern . . Sometimes these things happen. 

Crown development does tend to come on more so in the latter months. 

Thankyou for sharing your update, and please don’t be discouraged by my feedback, I just think it is important to be transparent on these boards. As I say - not a huge concern, I’d also be keen to request feedback from your dr and for him to post a reply on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I would expect more at this stage , particularly with your hairline.

Having zoomed in on your hairline progress , I think it is likely you’ll need a second pass to add to the density, not a huge cause for concern . . Sometimes these things happen. 

Crown development does tend to come on more so in the latter months. 

Thankyou for sharing your update, and please don’t be discouraged by my feedback, I just think it is important to be transparent on these boards. As I say - not a huge concern, I’d also be keen to request feedback from your dr and for him to post a reply on here. 

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate all feedback. Positive or negative. Given the number of grafts I had, I was hoping the very least the Hairline would be reasonably dense.
The clinic have advised me that my results are on plan and in line with what they would expect to see at this stage. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt at this stage, whilst I appreciate some individuals obtain maximum results at circa seven months, I’m totally aware that others take at least 12 before results are seen.

I am therefore holding out full judgement until the 12 month stage at least. I am however slightly concerned given the number of patients that are awaiting results at this stage of their journey, all from the same surgeon.

Fingers crossed for the next three months, I will endeavour to update the forum and give an honest opinion at each stage of my journey.

Edited by Classygentleman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Month 8 update.

not a huge change from last month- the front still lacks full density as does the crown, but hoping for continued growth.

Fingers crossed I get better density over the coming months.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated at this stage.

65E86E4A-7348-49DD-AE89-451B8509E0BB.jpeg

FD1C879B-5BD2-49A5-9D30-5901976FB5A0.jpeg

EF4A002E-C256-4D6F-A278-E3AC5759B311.jpeg

47A11ABD-0DAD-4ED1-BF1B-A93895D1D707.jpeg

888A4084-12CD-42D4-ACC1-ED267E726A22.jpeg

E2F8F14D-1FD1-4D5A-8F99-F3F13D351B35.jpeg

015BF74B-E4FF-40B1-8C7E-797D1FEA15CA.jpeg

4F62A49D-B5F8-49CB-BD17-88A4B660417D.jpeg

F8A0568E-AB3F-4C1A-94D9-CFBF275F2F35.jpeg

• Like 1

The crown seems to be coming along, but the front center of the hairline hasn’t changed much over the last few updates.

I know you have time left (especially for the crown), but since it seems you have an open line of communication with Dr. Arshad’s office - how does he feel about your progress? 

Are you taking finasteride or minoxidil?

• Like 2

IMO there was a lack of density from the start. If you compare your ten day photo to a recent example where the stated density was 60g/cm2 reducing to 45 g/cm2 behind the hairline. I have removed the color in both photos to emphasize the contrast.

image.png.e7623b61a4aeceb937ae864fd4dde29a.png

• Administrators
17 hours ago, MC10298 said:

IMO there was a lack of density from the start. If you compare your ten day photo to a recent example where the stated density was 60g/cm2 reducing to 45 g/cm2 behind the hairline. I have removed the color in both photos to emphasize the contrast.

image.png.e7623b61a4aeceb937ae864fd4dde29a.png

Comparisons are never good, to many variables such as head shape/size, etc. No two people are the same.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Comparisons are never good, to many variables such as head shape/size, etc. No two people are the same.

Sounds defensive ... I think the OP deserves a more considered opinion of his density concerns than this. What is the OP to take away? He's got the wrong shape/size head for density?

Density is a measurement FU/Cm2. The illusion of density is somewhat more nuanced, but whatever way you cut it, if you lack FU/cm2 from the start, you will always struggle.

Comparisons are what we all do all the time on this board. A prospective HT compares the work of different surgeons before making their decision.

You make comparisons when the HT of the week is chosen.

@Classygentleman has expressed concern that at 8 months, he lacks the desired density and asks for feedback. He needs a little more to work with than 'no two people are the same'.

I've offered my opinion whats yours?

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MC10298 said:

Sounds defensive ... I think the OP deserves a more considered opinion of his density concerns than this. What is the OP to take away? He's got the wrong shape/size head for density?

Density is a measurement FU/Cm2. The illusion of density is somewhat more nuanced, but whatever way you cut it, if you lack FU/cm2 from the start, you will always struggle.

Comparisons are what we all do all the time on this board. A prospective HT compares the work of different surgeons before making their decision.

You make comparisons when the HT of the week is chosen.

@Classygentleman has expressed concern that at 8 months, he lacks the desired density and asks for feedback. He needs a little more to work with than 'no two people are the same'.

I've offered my opinion whats yours?

Defensive no, it’s a fact. No one should ever take another person’s results and believe they will achieve the same result, even if it’s with the same doctor. Btw duplicate accounts are not allowed. Too many members have been creating dup accounts, and it will no longer be tolerated.

View my thread

18 hours ago, Classygentleman said:

Are you saying that you don’t think enough grafts were packed into the hairline?

I think you can expect improvement over the next few months.... but, I doubt it will be enough for you to be happy. the hairline is not likely going to improve much. The crown will take more time, so let's hold off until the 12 month mark. 

If I were you I would be planning a second transplant for the end of the year. I would look outside the UK, though. Spain and Belgium have some excellent clinics that specialize in "repair" cases, although I don't think yours is a failure. I'd guess you're looking at 1000-1500 grafts for a new hairline. Maybe an extra 1000 in the crown if it still bothers you. Consider beard hair to add density, of you have it. 

Thanks for sharing your photos!

41 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I think you can expect improvement over the next few months.... but, I doubt it will be enough for you to be happy. the hairline is not likely going to improve much. The crown will take more time, so let's hold off until the 12 month mark. 

If I were you I would be planning a second transplant for the end of the year. I would look outside the UK, though. Spain and Belgium have some excellent clinics that specialize in "repair" cases, although I don't think yours is a failure. I'd guess you're looking at 1000-1500 grafts for a new hairline. Maybe an extra 1000 in the crown if it still bothers you. Consider beard hair to add density, of you have it. 

Thanks for sharing your photos!

I think this is spot on. At the 8 month mark (although you certainly are likely to see some more improvements in terms of thickening/maturation of the hair that is already grown and is there) I really cannot see any scenario in which lots of new dormant follicles are going to suddenly start sprouting hairs and increasing the general density in the hairline area. Mainly because I think the reality is that there are no dormant follicles from the hair transplant left to do so. 

I suppose it's possible you may have a very small amount sprout and come through, but even that is just wishful thinking in my opinion for the most part considering that you're way beyond the telogen phase (give or take three months) that most of the implanted follicles are forced into after a HT. If there's no indication of growth in areas at all at this point, I think it would essentially be a miracle for this to suddenly change.

The whole hairline is fairly sparse to be honest, but the central forelock in particular looks like it contains somewhere in the region of 15-20 FU per cm/2 at most; that is obviously just a guess, but it seems about right to my eyes. I know it's disheartening, but I feel it's only right to not give false hope and assure you that there's still 4 months left until the year mark as it's clear you're not going to be satisfied with the end result at this point regardless. 

Good news is that you have had some growth, either just nowhere near enough to be considered acceptable or just simply that the grafts weren't implanted in a dense enough pattern. Maybe a combination of both. But in any case, a touch up of around about 1500 grafts on the hairline should leave you looking pretty good as @MachoVatosays. 

I would also heed the advice of looking further afield if I were you and pick a surgeon where results of poor growth rare; they do happen to every Dr now and then of course, but with the really good surgeons, this essentially only happens when the patient has some underlying physiological scalp issues such as an undiagnosed form of scarring alopecia and is basically never due to poor planning or technique. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ThankS @JDEE0,  @MachoVato @Melvin- Moderator

I agree that the front is sparse for the 8 month stage.

And considering the large session / number of grafts I had.

The clinic advised me that they absolutely have seen patients with new growth after 9 months so will wait and see, but I was certainly of the opinion (based on my reading various posts) that all new hairs would have come through by this point and just maturation from now.

@Melvin- Moderator Do you see cases that continue new growth post 9 months?

Thanks again everyone 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Classygentleman said:

ThankS @JDEE0,  @MachoVato @Melvin- Moderator

I agree that the front is sparse for the 8 month stage.

And considering the large session / number of grafts I had.

The clinic advised me that they absolutely have seen patients with new growth after 9 months so will wait and see, but I was certainly of the opinion (based on my reading various posts) that all new hairs would have come through by this point and just maturation from now.

@Melvin- Moderator Do you see cases that continue new growth post 9 months?

Thanks again everyone 

I have certainly seen cases grow well past the 9th mark, and even past the 12th mark. 

7 months vs. 2 1/2 years Arshad patient, one of the best HTs I’ve ever seen to be quite honest. I don’t believe there was ever a doubt that you’d need another HT with your level of hair loss. I’ve had three and still want/need more hair. Anyone who acts like you could’ve achieved everything in one go is being disingenuous. The crown alone takes thousands of grafts. 

8CD49C1F-D2D5-4E60-8E23-224EB3654196.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

• Administrators
Just now, Classygentleman said:

Thanks again for the reassurance @Melvin- Moderator & @SLA

Good to know that it is possible for growth after 9 months.

im at the 8 month mark now so fingers crossed for continued growth.

(I believe Mike had 2 surgeries to get that result, but I agree it looks great)

Yes he did, which is customary. Anyone pretending like you should get amazing density and coverage in one go either doesn’t know or has no personal experience with HTs, as I said I’ve had three and I need another HT. Sometimes you’ll need another HT for coverage or to boost density. There’s nothing wrong with that. You can always add in more hair if needed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

View my thread