Wondering if I'm even a candidate

Hey everyone.  I started balding at 25 with hair thinning upfront and a major clearly visible loss (I'd say about 80 percent loss) at the crown.  I ended up shaving my head and been that way ever since.  I'm now 40.  Attached are some high resolution images of where I stand as of today if I let hair grow for about two weeks.  I'm wondering if I'm even a candidate for something like a FUE transplant or do I not have enough for it?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

20201127_172538.jpg

20201127_172701.jpg

20201127_172818.jpg

20201127_172856.jpg

20201127_172919.jpg

20201127_172938.jpg

20201127_173038.jpg

20201127_173103.jpg

20201127_173219.jpg

20201127_173239.jpg

Absolutely not, the area to be covered is too large and the donor area is poor, be wary of the clinics that will tell you that you will have a good result, they just want your money.

Edited by Egy
  • Like 4

I agree with other members above. I would advise against. Probably a hair system is a better choice. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators

Unfortunately, your donor is not sufficient, too much hair loss and not enough donor.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You could probably find surgeons to do a limited HT on you (most likely FUT) and/or BHT, but the real question is would the risk be too high? Most people's donor looks thinner when it is cut short as yours is, but no doubt your high norwood status makes things challenging. A limited HT might frame your face a bit and restore some of the top and the front, but the danger is you have a poor outcome and end up looking artificial.

Sorry you are dealing with this. 

• Like 1

Absolutely not suitable for a procedure, I advise against, also be prepared that some clinics will try to sell an idea your suitable just for your money.

• Like 2

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

I don't know why everybody is so dismissive of him. See this thread of a NW7 patient

He is obviously not expecting Elvis Presley hair. For a lot of people having some hair on top that makes it seem like you are at an earlier stage of balding makes a big difference compared to being horse-shoe bald. Also he has beard hair.

Edited by plus

17 minutes ago, plus said:

I don't know why everybody is so dismissive of him. See this thread of a NW7 patient

He is obviously not expecting Elvis Presley hair. For a lot of people having some hair on top that makes it seem like you are at an earlier stage of balding makes a big difference compared to being horse-shoe bald. Also he has beard hair.

The patient you bring up here probably isn’t a NW7 to begin with, the classifications are rough so it’s debatable but he’s closer to a NW6. The sides have dropped but not significantly. He also has extremely thick Indian hair.

The OP here also has very clear retrograde alopecia and potentially diffuse losses in the donor, either that or it’s naturally extremely thin. I’ve had 6k+ FUE grafts removed and my donor appears to have more density than his does. 

The only option I can think of worth pursuing is FUT to create density in the front and mid scalp with a conservative hairline, and finding someone who is experienced in hair systems to cover the crown.  I think I’ve seen it mentioned that Konior had been involved in this approach before.

The guy in the other thread has long hair. The guy in this thread has buzzed his hair. How do you definitively know one has thicker hair?

The other guy definitely has a much lower crown than this guy in this thread. Whatever names you call it (NW6 or 7), the other guy is much worse than this guy.

I agree with the general consensus that you certainly aren’t a good hair transplant candidate. 

However 

I’m going to say a surgeon could probably squeeze 2000 grafts out of your scalp donor. Your beard looks good, therefore a further 3000 from beneath your chin. And without seeing pics, I’m going to predict that you probably have quite a lot of, and thick, dark body hair - I’m mainly referring to your chest as a donor source. I’ve predicted this going off my experience of seeing other aggressively balding guys, with what I think could be your ethnic background, and judging by the density of your beard and the hair on the nape of your neck. 

If you would be content with a short, shaved look hair style all over, perhaps with a thinner crown, this IMO could definitely be achieved, given the above criteria is correct - combined with a bit of SMP, I think it would look ALOT better than your current state of play, and depending on how you are mentally, a psychologically better option than wearing a hair system. 

If you want an actual hair style that you can style and play around with, then a hair system is the only option for your case. 

Let the forum know what it is you want to achieve, and people will be able to advise you better. 

Hope this helps, 

• Like 1

It could be the flash but seems like you are losing hair in the donor area as well. So not only your donor area is not sufficient, but if you do a HT you may end up losing the transplanted hair too. 

If you want to talk to a HT doctor, make sure to talk only to a top tier one as your case is ultra complex. Maybe there is a solution that uses body hair, I don't now. But be careful as you may end up really worse than you are right now. 

Edited by JohnBob

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the feedback.  I've been shaving my head for 15 years and I am okay with continuing to do so.  I think the use of flash probably made the donor area look much thinner than it is along with the fact that I barely let it grow out for maybe 12 days when the image was taken.  I used it so you could more clearly see things.  Unfortunately, I shaved my head shortly after this picture but I may let it grow and come back to post a few pictures without flash and circle back again in a few weeks.  I do have very thick and dense beard as well and lots of bodily hair as many of us south Asians do.  As far as hair systems go, I'm not a fan of it.  I'd rather keep shaving than to use something that not only is expensive, requires ongoing heavy maintenance but you also have to explain it to someone if you are going to bring them into your life.  I'm sure it works well for many but not my cup of tea.  I've been okay shaving for a long time but unfortunately, my wife ran away with someone last year and I am now finding myself preparing to possibly dive into the dating pool after covid (dating pool in the 40's as a bald dude, I know, exciting...smh). I figured It's a good time to look into the possibility but if it's not possible, it is what it is.  Thanks!

• Like 1

@SoundWaveZzZzZz I think an elite, top-notch doctor could bring you to a NW 4 or so. But why go through the stress, obsession, worry, and cost of a hair transplant if a doctor could only bring you from bald to balding. IMO the bald look is much better than being a NW 4 or so. 

As others have said, I don't think there's enough to work with in your donor area, and its not luscious enough, for any doctor to bring you to a non-balding appearance. 

I know balding sucks at any age, but in the dating world I don't think most women would factor your hairloss into the equation, no one is going to blink twice to see a 40 yr old balding person. Its not like you're 21 and all the 21 yr old girls expect all guys to have amazing hair, etc. 

I think the beard and glasses suit your look well. 

That being said, I don't think it would hurt at all to get consultations from top docs. They are all free and pretty responsive. 

Edited by DenverBuff1989
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, SoundWaveZzZzZz said:

I've been okay shaving for a long time but unfortunately, my wife ran away with someone last year and I am now finding myself preparing to possibly dive into the dating pool after covid (dating pool in the 40's as a bald dude, I know, exciting...smh). I figured It's a good time to look into the possibility but if it's not possible, it is what it is.  Thanks!

Damn, sorry to hear that. Just curious, does that other dude have a full head of hair by any chance?

Edited by JohnBob

33 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

@SoundWaveZzZzZz I think an elite, top-notch doctor could bring you to a NW 4 or so. But why go through the stress, obsession, worry, and cost of a hair transplant if a doctor could only bring you from bald to balding. IMO the bald look is much better than being a NW 4 or so. 

As others have said, I don't think there's enough to work with in your donor area, and its not luscious enough, for any doctor to bring you to a non-balding appearance. 

I know balding sucks at any age, but in the dating world I don't think most women would factor your hairloss into the equation, no one is going to blink twice to see a 40 yr old balding person. Its not like you're 21 and all the 21 yr old girls expect all guys to have amazing hair, etc. 

I think the beard and glasses suit your look well. 

That being said, I don't think it would hurt at all to get consultations from top docs. They are all free and pretty responsive. 

I hear you.  Yeah, I'm not desperate for it.  I figured if it's possible to make it seem appropriate for my age then great.  If not, I'm not going to go into debt trying to look still balding.  

9 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

Damn, sorry to hear that. Just curious, does that other dude have a full head of hair?

Tis is life.  Indeed, he does and he's 3 years older than me.

• Like 1

If you've been fine with shaving then keep on shaving, as you have a normal head shape and a cool beard.  Focus on your physical fitness instead.  Hair shouldn't be your first priority in self-improvement as there is just not enough there to work with.  Bald men can look good!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group