Strange, spotty hairloss at the sides and back of my head

Paqua

Hi guys,

I (29yo male) recently found this forum and am very impressed about the collected wisdom here concerning hair loss, especially concerning hair transplants.

I can't exactly remember when I first noticed the strange hair loss patterns that I want to talk about here for the first time, but I think within the last 1-1.5 years.

In my opinion there are 3 types of different hair loss patterns happening on my head at the same time:

(1. "Normal" male pattern baldness happening at my hairline and temples, which I am not worried about nor I want to discuss here.)

2. Diffuse thinning around my ears, especially at my sideburns. I started noticing this within the last 1.5 years I think.

3. Since about a year ago I notice big, round spots of hair loss at the sides or back of my head from time to time. My scalp in general is quite itchy and pimples also develop quite often. The pattern with these hair loss spots seems so be the following: I notice a completely bald, big spot --> the scalp at the spot becomes red, itchy, swollen and seems to be inflamed --> the inflamation disappears after 1-2 weeks but the bald spot remains. I had a spot in last december where fortunately the hair regrew after a few months. Now it is happening again, 2 spots this time.

I visited a dermatologist last week. She told me it could be a mild case of dermatitis due to my several allergies and prescribed a cortisone lotion which I should apply on the itchy, pimpled areas of my scalp.

The problem is that the spotty hair loss happens first, THEN the inflammation appears, so it is already to late when I could apply the lotion at the area.

Further more, at the area around my ears, especially sideburns, there are no pimples, and the area is still thinning.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone here have any idea why hair loss patterns 2 and 3 are happening and how I could treat these kind of hair losses?

2. The area where thinning and spotty hairloss are happening are also the donor area for a future hair transplant for my male pattern baldness at the hairline and temples. Do you think that the capability/quality of my donor area is affected by this hair loss and if yes, how badly? Should I even consider a transplant with such an "unhealthy" scalp/hair status?

The pictures show:

1. The new, big spot of hair loss.

2. Thinning around my ear.

3. Back of my head today after wearing a hat.

4. Back of my head after showering with wet hair.

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate

20201127_220751_Ausschnitt.jpg

20200911_122525_Ausschnitt.jpg

20201127_214815.jpg

20201127_235246.jpg