Am I too late?

So I’ve been thinking about getting a hair transplant and have emailed a few clinics. The both quoted me for 3000 grafts and maybe a second smaller procedure to fill in the crown. Since I’ve seen a lot of people get 3000 grafts into a much smaller space then the top of my head I’m a little nervous to go through with it. Do you guys think it’s too late for a hair transplant?

32ACDB30-45D1-4D37-896A-5E64E40C1EBF.jpeg

D906D14B-2A88-47B8-92C2-A6553795F5D9.jpeg

6CB260A0-DCE6-4512-ABEF-F75DA75B2843.jpeg

Hello my friend,first of all how old are you?Are you on any medication?

You need to find a good doctor to assess your donor area.

You can have a  big session via strip and then if more grafts can be extracted you can go down the fue road.

Your donor looks a bit weak so you must have it carefully examined by a good doctor before you decide to do something,and then come up with a conservative plan.

Although these boards tend to focus on very large HTs, your donor may not support it. 3k is a decent amount of grafts and if you fill in the front and top you may have a good result and walk away a winner. Do not overharvest your donor-that will lead to ruin.

Agree with @Louisjams. Even if you have the donor to cover all that, it’s at least 2-3 sessions, and it would be risky to go over 3-4K grafts without knowing how you respond. A lot of guys here only need the front and part of the mid-scalp done, so they choose to dense-pack their donor in that smaller recipient area for a thicker result. I seriously doubt you can or should aim for that much density right out of that gate. Lower-density coverage can look fantastic, though. I think a good surgeon could do a lot for your front and middle with 3k grafts. Maybe see how that goes before you try to address the back.

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

I am also very curious to know your age...clearly you are presently a full Norwood 6 and I also think you should have your donor zone microscopically examined for any signs that the hair is DHT receptive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

17 hours ago, Jaypi said:

So I’ve been thinking about getting a hair transplant and have emailed a few clinics. The both quoted me for 3000 grafts and maybe a second smaller procedure to fill in the crown. Since I’ve seen a lot of people get 3000 grafts into a much smaller space then the top of my head I’m a little nervous to go through with it. Do you guys think it’s too late for a hair transplant?

32ACDB30-45D1-4D37-896A-5E64E40C1EBF.jpeg

D906D14B-2A88-47B8-92C2-A6553795F5D9.jpeg

6CB260A0-DCE6-4512-ABEF-F75DA75B2843.jpeg

Have you tried finasteride and or needling+minoxidil? The people getting getting the best results with these kind of treatments are the ones with a similar hair loss pattern that you have. In 3 months you would find out if it's working or not.  

33 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I am also very curious to know your age...clearly you are presently a full Norwood 6 and I also think you should have your donor zone microscopically examined for any signs that the hair is DHT receptive.

Not a full NW 6, he still has a considerable amount of hairs all over his scalp no?

I was referring to his Norwood class 6...yes, he still has a very small amount of diffused hair left....maybe I should have left the word "full" out?

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

8 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I was referring to his Norwood class 6...yes, he still has a very small amount of diffused hair left....maybe I should have left the word "full" out?

Maybe the technical term would be "not a slick bald NW 6" lol

I’m 30 years old and have been on finasteride and minoxidil for a little over a year now. I can’t say it improved things a lot but it definitely stopped me from losing more hair and thickened up some of the little hair I have left

Finasteride and Minoxidil should help stabilize the loss. Go to a referred doctor on this site and if you decide with 3000 my suggestion is to use that for the frontal third. If you spread 3000 grafts over the entire head it will look too thin. You can then opt for a second procedure for the mid and crown. Your front will frame your face and will be the most cosmetically noticeable. If you have sufficient beard hair you can also mix some beard hairs. These days there are BHT options when you run out of grafts from your head. 

On 11/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, Jaypi said:

I’m 30 years old and have been on finasteride and minoxidil for a little over a year now. I can’t say it improved things a lot but it definitely stopped me from losing more hair and thickened up some of the little hair I have left

For most guys especially over 30, low dose finasteride is effective in significantly slowing down the progressive rate of loss but few men over 30 experience new growth.

Gillenator