FUE v FUT: does having FUT mean I'll never be able to have short hair (eg grade 3) later on?

DaveOHiggins

Hi Folks!

Been weighing up FUT v FUE.

Seems FUE is less scarring but is slightly less efficient in terms of amount of hairs harvested.

But you get the scar with FUT

Assuming you get a good surgeon to do FUT, am wondering  - if remaining hair drops out later on and I want a short haircut - if the FUT scar will be visible with a shorter (eg grade 3) haircut?

In other words  - is even an average FUT scar preventing ever having short hair again without showing the scar?

• Administrators

Depends on the scar, if you have a thin scar, you can get away with a #3 for sure. Here’s my friend who got an FUT 12 years ago and an FUE last year. I cut his hair from a #1 at the bottom to a #2 in the middle and #3 at the top, the scar is slightly visible. He’s got a pretty thin scar though. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

FUT scars can stretch every where. Scars are mostly genetic. Surgical skill is important, but some people scar bad, and others scar good. A general rule of thumb is even the worst scars can be covered by #4, especially if it’s faded into a higher guard. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Depends on the scar, if you have a thin scar, you can get away with a #3 for sure. Here’s my friend who got an FUT 12 years ago and an FUE last year. I cut his hair from a #1 at the bottom to a #2 in the middle and #3 at the top, the scar is slightly visible. He’s got a pretty thin scar though. 

Melvin, I don’t see the pic?