So Im finally starting to take the meds

Noname2001

I was planing to take propecia a month ago but life happened and I didn’t had any time to buy propecia. But today I bought them. The reason Im writing this is to show my plan to adapt my body to the meds. (Im open to changing if it’s not a good plan)

So here is my plan:

First and Second month: 0.25 every 3 days

Third and Fourth month: 0.50 every 3 days

Fifth and Sixth month: 0.50 every day

Seventh month and forward: 1 mg every day

I know that the drug will lose it’s affect after years of use and Im okay with getting a transplant when needed. I will also look after myself (Exercise, Diet, Sleep) and hopefully I won’t get any side effects. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mxm56 said:

Hi dude,  why are you proposing this plan? I am asking because i got told to start with 5mg straight for bph. I did not notice any difference so far in terms of hair or sex drive. 

5 mg what? That’s too much! You don’t need that much. Please lower your dose to at least 1 mg. Im guessing that you’re taking proscar which is 5 mg. You have to split that pill into 4 pieces. Don’t consume all of the pill! 5 mg is taken for prostate. 1 mg is taken for male pattern baldness. I split my pills to adjust my body to the drug. Instant drop of dht is not good for the body. My knowledge of this subject is limited so ask your doctor please.

3 minutes ago, Noname2001 said:

5 mg what? That’s too much! You don’t need that much. Please lower your dose to at least 1 mg. Im guessing that you’re taking proscar which is 5 mg. You have to split that pill into 4 pieces. Don’t consume all of the pill! 5 mg is taken for prostate. 1 mg is taken for male pattern baldness. I split my pills to adjust my body to the drug. Instant drop of dht is not good for the body. My knowledge of this subject is limited so ask your doctor please.

He's been prescribed the medication for his prostate - therefore 5mg daily is the recommended dosage for this condition, as far as I am aware. Therefore, this also answers his confusion as to why you are proposing to take such small amounts in comparison - because your motive is for hairloss, which requires less. 

In terms of your proposed loading regime, I think it is sensible and wise. Building upto 1mg daily may be overkill - MWF seems to suffice. 

1 hour ago, Curious25 said:

He's been prescribed the medication for his prostate - therefore 5mg daily is the recommended dosage for this condition, as far as I am aware. Therefore, this also answers his confusion as to why you are proposing to take such small amounts in comparison - because your motive is for hairloss, which requires less. 

In terms of your proposed loading regime, I think it is sensible and wise. Building upto 1mg daily may be overkill - MWF seems to suffice. 

Yeah, maybe 1 mg a day is a overkill like you say. But I will experiment every dose. If the problem stops, I will stop the build up. Thanks for your help!

There doesn't seem to be a universally accepted plan or method when it comes to taking Propecia, so your plan seems as good as any. Everyone is going to respond to it differently regardless and will have to find the dosage, frequency, etc. that works for them. For my personal taste/opinion, I think you're being way too cautious - but that's not to say it's not a good approach for you. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

8 hours ago, pkipling said:

There doesn't seem to be a universally accepted plan or method when it comes to taking Propecia, so your plan seems as good as any. Everyone is going to respond to it differently regardless and will have to find the dosage, frequency, etc. that works for them. For my personal taste/opinion, I think you're being way too cautious - but that's not to say it's not a good approach for you. 

What would you suggest? I’m open to changes.

22 hours ago, Noname2001 said:

I was planing to take propecia a month ago but life happened and I didn’t had any time to buy propecia. But today I bought them. The reason Im writing this is to show my plan to adapt my body to the meds. (Im open to changing if it’s not a good plan)

So here is my plan:

First and Second month: 0.25 every 3 days

Third and Fourth month: 0.50 every 3 days

Fifth and Sixth month: 0.50 every day

Seventh month and forward: 1 mg every day

I know that the drug will lose it’s affect after years of use and Im okay with getting a transplant when needed. I will also look after myself (Exercise, Diet, Sleep) and hopefully I won’t get any side effects. 

Good plan....perhaps it's even a little too conservative but I'd much rather do this than go straight into 1mg every day. 

I did something similar and experienced no sides at all....I was fine for 8 years until I took 6-9 months off then switched to a generic version 1mg daily and it ruined me. 

As you say, it may lose effectiveness over time, but my method of taking significant breaks has kept it as effective now as it was a decade ago. There's no science backing me up on this but it's worked for me - other switching to that god awful Aindeem. If you ever want to reduce the cost of Propecia then just do Proscar and avoid Aindeem.

Edited by TommyLucchese
  • Thanks 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

1 hour ago, TommyLucchese said:

Good plan....perhaps it's even a little too conservative but I'd much rather do this than go straight into 1mg every day. 

I did something similar and experienced no sides at all....I was fine for 8 years until I took 6-9 months off then switched to a generic version 1mg daily and it ruined me. 

As you say, it may lose effectiveness over time, but my method of taking significant breaks has kept it as effective now as it was a decade ago. There's no science backing me up on this but it's worked for me - other switching to that god awful Aindeem. If you ever want to reduce the cost of Propecia then just do Proscar and avoid Aindeem.

Thanks for the advice! I think will stick to propecia if I don’t come across any side effects. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 11:43 PM, mxm56 said:

Hi dude,  why are you proposing this plan? I am asking because i got told to start with 5mg straight for bph. I did not notice any difference so far in terms of hair or sex drive. 

curious , then dude what are you doing here on a hair loss forum ? i presume you have bph and not mpb ....... 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:59 PM, Noname2001 said:

What would you suggest? I’m open to changes.

There's really no universally agreed upon plan or approach to this... If you wanna start doing .25 every 3 days for two months, then go for it. It may be a good idea for you and it may be the best approach. Personally, I think that's extremely cautious and conservative, and I don't really see the added benefit - but that's my opinion in regards to how  would approach it. In my opinion (which is just an opinion and not a fact, so take it for what it's worth), if I wanted to be conservative, I would probably start by taking 1.25 mg every 2-3 days. 

All of that said, you're really just gonna need to make a decision that feels best to you and know that there's no "right way" to do it. Ultimately, you'll either respond well to the drug or you won't, and the only way to really know for sure is to do trial and error until you hopefully find a regimen that works for you. My main concern is that if you keep seeking other people's opinions on something that has so much variance in terms of how people approach it, you'll just drive yourself crazy trying to find the "right answer" when a "right answer" doesn't exist. Just dive in and figure it out and trust that the research you've done up to this point is enough.

Said with love from one over-thinker to another. ;) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56