Can I please get advice on which surgery to do?

So I found 2 good doctors, great results.

#1 doctor wants to fill in the front and the crown (1,2).

#2 doctor wants to fill in the front only (1),wait a year and then fill in the crown(2).  I only saved up enough for 1 surgery, but I can't decide what will look better, or what is the better option. I'm not opposed to a 2nd surgery, but won't happen for at least another 5 years. Any suggestions? 

IMG-20201120-WA0000.jpg

I'm not familiar with the docs, but if I were in your shoes, I would certainly go with FUT, with about 80%-85% going in front and using the rest to soften the lack of coverage w/ crown. You can then bolster your crown's appearance with some light use of concealer. I have an idea of what you want to achieve, so I'd also be prepared to book a second procedure as soon as your body/head is able to handle it to address the crown, as well as add some additional coverage to the front (my gut tells me you'll want that, too).

Get on fin and start using rogaine (costco version is fine, just buy direct from them and not eBay) as soon as possible and stick with it. You're clearly going to lose all your hair, so stabilize it. Take the fin at night when you go to bed so you don't psyche yourself out about its overstated sides. Good luck.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

10 minutes ago, champybaby said:

I'm not familiar with the docs, but if I were in your shoes, I would certainly go with FUT, with about 80%-85% going in front and using the rest to soften the lack of coverage w/ crown. You can then bolster your crown's appearance with some light use of concealer. I have an idea of what you want to achieve, so I'd also be prepared to book a second procedure as soon as your body/head is able to handle it to address the crown, as well as add some additional coverage to the front (my gut tells me you'll want that, too).

Get on fin and start using rogaine (costco version is fine, just buy direct from them and not eBay) as soon as possible and stick with it. You're clearly going to lose all your hair, so stabilize it. Take the fin at night when you go to bed so you don't psyche yourself out about its overstated sides. Good luck.

In your experience does costa brand minox work as well as name brand?

14 minutes ago, champybaby said:

Why do you recommend FUT?

24 minutes ago, WildBlueberry said:

In your experience does costa brand minox work as well as name brand?

It's all the same shit. Same ingredients, everything. You're basically paying for marketing w/ Rogaine. A lot of white label brands are made by the leading companies ... wouldn't be surprised if Rogaine made Costco Rogaine, just as Grey Goose makes Costco Vodka ...

Edited by champybaby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, champybaby said:

Because given your current hair loss, you are going to want to max out your donor supply.

I don't get that part. Doesn't FUE nowadays yield the same results as FUT? There are even studies showing that, and as far as anedoctal evidence goes, the largest HT sessions are currently being done by Dr. Zarev and he uses FUE

I would love to understand the logic behind why FUE necessarily yields less than FUT

Edited by JohnBob

1 hour ago, JohnBob said:

I don't get that part. Doesn't FUE nowadays yield the same results as FUT? There are even studies showing that, and as far as anedoctal evidence goes, the largest HT sessions are currently being done by Dr. Zarev and he uses FUE

I would love to understand the logic behind why FUE necessarily yields less than FUT

It seems you're misinformed. Going FUT first will max your donor supply. If someone told you otherwise, such as a doc in Turkey, I can assure you they are lying. Good luck.

22 minutes ago, champybaby said:

It seems you're misinformed. Going FUT first will max your donor supply. If someone told you otherwise, such as a doc in Turkey, I can assure you they are lying. Good luck.

I was just asking for the reasons why FUT would yield more than FUE. But if you want to just call me misinformed and provide zero explanation that's ok. 

Edited by JohnBob

17 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

I was just asking for the reasons why FUT would yield more than FUE. But if you want to just call me misinformed and provide zero explanation that's ok. 

Check this out: 

https://bhrclinic.com/fue-or-fut-first-thats-the-question-2/

Edited by JohnAC71

17 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

I sincerely regret trying to give you very sound advice. I wish you luck. Moving on now.

10 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Check this out: 

https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/29/5/177

pretty good in-depth study 👌

Thanks!

Interesting study - I couldn't get into the details because you need to be a subscriber though. I wonder what is the technical aspect that allows you to harvest more with FUT and if a better FUE technique and tools wouldn't be able to overcome that. 

Edited by JohnBob

4 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

Thanks!

It's a shame I couldn't get into the details because it's a paid study. I wonder what is the technical aspect that allows you to harvest more with FUT and if a better FUE technique and tools wouldn't be able to overcome that. 

Included wrong link. I have edited it so please look again. 👏

Edited by JohnAC71

3 minutes ago, champybaby said:

I sincerely regret trying to give you very sound advice. I wish you luck. Moving on now.

Don't be mad at me man. I never intended to go to Turkey by the way. My dream goal is to make a consultation with the HT GOAT Dr. Konior. You are very lucky to have your HT done by him, his procedures are a work of art and your results were flawless (as expected). Actually, seeing your case is one of the reasons I got motivated to consider having a HT done in the first place.

2 hours ago, JohnBob said:

I don't get that part. Doesn't FUE nowadays yield the same results as FUT?

It might.  But FUT + FUE will provide even more grafts.  For me, I did 6 strip surgeries before my first FUE and I'm on track for having over 10K lifetime grafts.  Don't regret it one bit.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

This was a really strange interaction.

@JohnBob If your dream goal is to have a HT with Konior, why don't you save up and do that? He's got a long waiting list anyway, so it's not like you would be seeing him tomorrow even if you had the funds ready to go.

People seem to debate FUE vs FUT here all the time. Do your own research and make your own decision. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who has to live with your reflection in the mirror.

17 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

It might.  But FUT + FUE will provide even more grafts.  For me, I did 6 strip surgeries before my first FUE and I'm on track for having over 10K lifetime grafts.  Don't regret it one bit.

According to the research I'm doing, this FUE limitation may be the true based on the tools and skill of the current doctors, not on the procedure itself. 

For example, while you have Dr. Bisanga stating in his website that the max they can extract with FUE without over harvesting is around 4000 grafts, you also have Dr. Zarev extracting 12000 grafts via FUE and the donor still looking good. 

You may say Dr. Zarev is maybe extracting beyond the safe zone, but if you subtract 4000 from the 12000, you still get 8000 grafts, double what Dr. Bisanga believes is possible with FUE.

Edited by JohnBob

41 minutes ago, PizzaWolf said:

This was a really strange interaction.

@JohnBob If your dream goal is to have a HT with Konior, why don't you save up and do that? He's got a long waiting list anyway, so it's not like you would be seeing him tomorrow even if you had the funds ready to go.

People seem to debate FUE vs FUT here all the time. Do your own research and make your own decision. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who has to live with your reflection in the mirror.

Yes I'm considering that 🙂

Edited by JohnBob

6 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

According to the research I'm doing, this FUE limitation may be the true based on the tools and skill of the current doctors, not on the procedure itself. 

For example, while you have Dr. Bisanga stating in his website that the max they can extract with FUE is 4000 grafts, you also have Dr. Zarev extracting 12000 grafts via FUE and the donor still looking good. 

You may say Dr. Zarev is maybe extracting beyond the safe zone, but if you subs track 4000 from the 12000, you still get 8000 grafts, double what Dr. Bisanga believes is possible. 

Lol where do you get info that Bisanga could only extract 4K grafts from?