Can I do a hair transplant without finasteride

Hi all

Firstly would like to thank all members as a silent reader for the last 4 years or so. Gained a wealth of knowledge.

I want to nip this hairloss problem and depressive crap that comes with it in the bud once and for all whatever that may mean. I would like honest advise to plan my move.

I am 30 years old and started hairloss I think around 23-24. I am a diffuse thinner with hairline recession aswell. I have been told by the doctor I am a NW3V, and most likely will progress to a NW5 or NW6. I think looking at my family history 6 is most likely dad and mums brother are both 6 (funnily enough both grandads died with NW0 hairloss and both my older brothers in late 30s don't have hairloss, sucks to be me)

Never took anything to combat hairloss. Recently I decided to give fin a shot. Unfortunately I'm highly sensitive and get gyno symptoms on all doses and even topical formulation. I am currently trialing minoxidil, but doubt it will be effective.

So is transplant a option without fin. Assuming I went conservative on the hairline, concentrated on front and mid and just a light sprinkling in crown and accept this part will always be sparse. I understand this will probably mean multiple (2-3 surgeries). I would be looking at someone like Bruno Ferreira/eugenix/Dr arshad. £3 per graft max. All have said they can do it, but I would like feedback from the forum.

One of my main concerns is the transplanted hair also falling out over time, I know many surgeons claim it doesn't, but after all my years of research I am starting to doubt whether this is true (I also think a lot of surgeons are now starting to feel this is the case aswell, although they don't want to be forthcoming with this as it puts the whole industry at a disadvantage now)

Tried to upload some pics but my phone not letting me. Appreciate all advise. Apologies for mega post. Thanks all

You will find good results from people in similar circumstances on this forum @Melvin-Moderator being one of them. As long as you can accept that you will need multiple HT to keep a head of hair long term. 

I believe without fin I would eventually be nw5/6, if I couldn't take fin I would rock a buzzcut maybe get smp

I had my first transplant over 10 years ago. I have never been on any meds. All that’s happened is I have lost my non transplant hair. As a Norwood 5/6 I was expecting this to happen. 
So now 5 transplants on at least I do have coverage and and a hairline. I realised early on i would be chasing the loss. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Zoobz said:

Hi all

Firstly would like to thank all members as a silent reader for the last 4 years or so. Gained a wealth of knowledge.

I want to nip this hairloss problem and depressive crap that comes with it in the bud once and for all whatever that may mean. I would like honest advise to plan my move.

I am 30 years old and started hairloss I think around 23-24. I am a diffuse thinner with hairline recession aswell. I have been told by the doctor I am a NW3V, and most likely will progress to a NW5 or NW6. I think looking at my family history 6 is most likely dad and mums brother are both 6 (funnily enough both grandads died with NW0 hairloss and both my older brothers in late 30s don't have hairloss, sucks to be me)

Never took anything to combat hairloss. Recently I decided to give fin a shot. Unfortunately I'm highly sensitive and get gyno symptoms on all doses and even topical formulation. I am currently trialing minoxidil, but doubt it will be effective.

So is transplant a option without fin. Assuming I went conservative on the hairline, concentrated on front and mid and just a light sprinkling in crown and accept this part will always be sparse. I understand this will probably mean multiple (2-3 surgeries). I would be looking at someone like Bruno Ferreira/eugenix/Dr arshad. £3 per graft max. All have said they can do it, but I would like feedback from the forum.

One of my main concerns is the transplanted hair also falling out over time, I know many surgeons claim it doesn't, but after all my years of research I am starting to doubt whether this is true (I also think a lot of surgeons are now starting to feel this is the case aswell, although they don't want to be forthcoming with this as it puts the whole industry at a disadvantage now)

Tried to upload some pics but my phone not letting me. Appreciate all advise. Apologies for mega post. Thanks all

Hi

The argument for Fin has probably been raised daily since this website was created! You will/would be in a better position having stabilised you hair loss before undergoing any surgery. There is no doubt about Fin being a saviour for many men's barnets and could possibly prevent any surgery. But here's the thing, if you are decided on getting it done without taking meds afterwards then there is no point in people bombarding you with opinion and making you second guess your decision. 

You sound like you understand the implications of going ahead without meds and seem happy to undergo more HT's if needed so I would say why not?? It is vital that you choose a good doctor which is already clear from your list, as you want to know how good your donor is for them future transplants. Has your donor been assessed? There may be members who will give an honest opinion of where you are heading from a pic. It's also worth remembering there are people who have had transplants with Fin and still suffered loss, it's unique to each person. 

I am literally going in for my transplant on Wednesday. I won't be using any meds besides the standard vitamin/biotin/topical treatment. I'm about NW3 and receding gradually. If it all goes tits up as I age I will shave it off and SMP any obvious patches. 

But why not enjoy life when you are young and image conscious, I would rather make the most of now and roll the dice, then chicken out because I may be bald in my 50/60's. Plus with a bit of luck if there's any progress with science who's to say in 10 years you won't be limited by your donor. 

Hope this helps mate it's quite a mouthful but I was in the same boat as you and it helps to know other people are there too. I'm 32 and if your hair is one of the main things that bothers you day in day out, like me, then it certainly needs addressing. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your responses. JohnAC71 I'm particularly interested in your experience. Can I ask whether you have any pictures of your situation over the years. So I can gauge what to expect for myself

On 11/21/2020 at 2:31 PM, JohnAC71 said:

I had my first transplant over 10 years ago. I have never been on any meds. All that’s happened is I have lost my non transplant hair. As a Norwood 5/6 I was expecting this to happen. 
So now 5 transplants on at least I do have coverage and and a hairline. I realised early on i would be chasing the loss. 

Wow, 5 HTs. What’s your age? Do you have additional donor supply for a 6th?

43 minutes ago, yesplease said:

Wow, 5 HTs. What’s your age? Do you have additional donor supply for a 6th?

5 HT’s could mean 5x 500 graft procedures - it’s not necessarily a reflection of someone having a huge supply of donor. Small and more frequent procedures are becoming the new optimum as opposed to waiting until you’ve lost all your hair , to go and have a mega session over a couple days. Wasted years, and the increased  potential risk for wasted grafts. 

Edited by Curious25

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

5 HT’s could mean 5x 500 graft procedures - it’s not necessarily a reflection of someone having a huge supply of donor. Small and more frequent procedures are becoming the new optimum as opposed to waiting until you’ve lost all your hair , to go and have a mega session over a couple days. Wasted years, and the increased  potential risk for wasted grafts. 

Well, sure, I suppose. 

But in many years of reading these forums I have never seen someone have 5 small procedures. 

The norm is still to have more sizeable HTs done. Not necessarily a mega-session, but most procedures are at least 1000-1500, likely even more. 

5 small procedures sounds more time consuming, more disruptive to life (planning, time off, recovery, etc) and potentially more expensive (many clinics taper price per graft as the size of the HT increases). 

15 minutes ago, yesplease said:

Well, sure, I suppose. 

But in many years of reading these forums I have never seen someone have 5 small procedures. 

The norm is still to have more sizeable HTs done. Not necessarily a mega-session, but most procedures are at least 1000-1500, likely even more. 

5 small procedures sounds more time consuming, more disruptive to life (planning, time off, recovery, etc) and potentially more expensive (many clinics taper price per graft as the size of the HT increases). 

It definitely is more time consuming and will likely be more expensive also, you are correct  - it’s certainly an approach that won’t suit everyone. 

From my recent experience over the last 4-6 years, there has been a growing number of patients tending to start off with 1500-2500 graft procedures, and then keeping on top of things as and when is required in smaller steps from after that point. 

Edited by Curious25