How to hide the transplant during the first 10 days?

I might be flying out to do the HT.

What about the day of procedure and the day after - do I just have to suck it up and go around all bloody bare headed for the first 3-4 days?

Also I read conflicting into about a loose fitting baseball hat being ok on the plane home - what are the risks of it and how did you go about it?

p.s.

I couldn't find a similar question asked although there are plenty of youtube videos that give good info about the first few days.

• Like 1

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

Yeah, you pretty much need to accept that you'll look like a freak for a week, especially if you're getting it all shaved.  But wearing a mask for covid now is actually a nice plus for HT travelers.  As far as a baseball hat goes, be careful.  I wouldn't wear anything for the first couple of days, but maybe by day 3 or 4 it'd be ok.  Depends on how tight it is.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

37 minutes ago, aaron1234 said:

As far as a baseball hat goes, be careful.  I wouldn't wear anything for the first couple of days, but maybe by day 3 or 4 it'd be ok.  Depends on how tight it is.  

This is not very clear to me - Dr said I can fly back the day after with the loose fitting baseball cap but he also said I shouldn't wear anything on my head for a week. Not sure how to interpret this. I was thinking of doing the HT on Monday and flying back on Friday - in your experience is that risky?

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides

HT With Dr. Konior December 2020: https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/anotherhairlossdude/4442

Probably ok by the 4th-5th day to wear a loose fitting hat.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You can wear loose fitting caps immediately following a hair transplant. Majority of clinics will provide you one. You would he better get off waiting a couple of days before flying back out due to swelling on the face and getting everything checked next few days by the clinic provided they offer that service. Face swelling is apparent during the first 5 days and the scalp will have blood and crusts. Where do you plan on going?

I locked myself up in my hotel room the first 10 days after my transplant and watched netflix all day while ordering room service.

My best advice is to just take a 10-day vacation after the transplant (if you can get time off work)

• Like 2

are you getting FUT or FUE?

Depending on your level of hairloss and how much you are getting done, you could be looking like a freak for much longer than the first couple of days. Just be prepared lol.

I would stay away from any "hats" for atleast the first week, but thats just my unprofessional opinion. I just went through a FUT 2 weeks ago

• Like 1

If you have one of those baseball caps with the adjustable back, open up the adjuster so the hat is as wide as possible and gently put the hat on your head, then snap the adjuster to the loosest setting that doesn't put any pressure around your head.

I used one with velcro instead of the snap-able ones so I got a perfect gentle fit that doesn't move around on my head.

image.png.e0bf7bcce4822c5428d03704980d3563.png

• Like 2

• Administrators

I wore a loose fitted 🧢 hat, I looked goofy but it hid the procedure. I traveled from California to New York three days after. A word of advice, shave YOUR HEAD!! 

I took this photo on the plane, the scabs weren’t bad, but that hair cut my god it was an atrocity. Would’ve been much better to bite the bullet and shave. 

951AFA66-CE06-44D3-A0D6-3F0BFCF0199E.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

A loose fitting hat after 3-4 days is totally fine. You can wear one immediately after surgery but only for  shorter periods (commutes) . You can extend the time as days pass by as these grafts will hold more in place by days 3/4. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

27 minutes ago, baldiee said:

Getting my first hair transplant in 2 weeks. What is the best time to buzz cut your hair after the transplant? 2 weeks later when you go for staples removal?

2 weeks post surgery is supposed ok to trim hair.

I am doing FUE fwiw.

Ok so looks like I probably need to just live with exposing it for the first two days and that might be ok - I'll be in a different city where nobody knows me anyways. I also decided to stay one day longer so I'll be traveling back on the 5th day after surgery so the risk that comes with wearing a hat is even lower.

Minoxidil 1x day

Stopped Fin due to sides