Questions about FUE

Carbon

Fairly new to this and glad I came across this community. Tons of great info! Been on this forum religiously and trying to educate myself each day. I do have a few questions. 

1. What determines the extraction size and is smaller better? I’ve read some doc use .07mm-.09mm

2. I’ve learned from this forum to stay away from Bosley and Ziering and docs who have been affiliated with these 2 companies. However, I cam across Dr. Varona in Newport Beach who has his own business and base on my research he was with Ziering. I think he’s able to use smaller extraction than .09mm and his results and reviews look great on IG, Google, and Yelp. Is this doc considered a red flag since he was from Ziering?

3. I had a consultation with Advanced Hair Restoration. Out of all the docs I spoke to, they were the only ones who told me to take a conservative approach to this. I know...stay away from Bosley, Ziering, and chain clinic! Dr. Gaffney is the surgeon for this clinic. He was with Bosley in the 90’s and then Hair Club for Men and now AHR. However I meant a guy from another forum who just had his procedure done by Gaffney and had a great experience and is very please with his results so far (it’s probably to early to tell). From my novice eyes, the pictures looks good of his progress. Is this doc considered a red flag?

3. I’ve been recommended to do 1200-2700 grafts to restore my hair line. Is there a proper formula to figure the right amount of grafts? Maybe how many average hairs per cm? 

Edited by Carbon

1 minute ago, JohnAC71 said:

You could definitely benefit from looking at the forums recommended physicians if you haven’t already? Top right of page.

Far better options, with elite Drs.! 

I have. They are expensive per graft, $8-10 a graft. I’m sure that’s why they are elite! Can I score any elite doctors at $6/graft? Lol

Yes there are options still at that price point. Although it’s definitely worth saving to get a elite Dr. 
Unless your also happy to travel. Lots of euro options too. 
check out the: FUE clinic recommendation: Hattingen vs Pekiner vs Keser vs HLC thread. 

Hasson & Wong are in your price range.  Can’t get much more elite 😂

Edited by JohnAC71

I'd be wary of making life changing choices based on Google and yelp reviews which can be easily fluffed. Granted travel is not an easy option right now but I would really take the time to look at screened clinics at home and abroad. If there's doctors in the state's doing it for half the price without any patient based results then you would have to ask yourself why. 

46 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Yes there are options still at that price point. Although it’s definitely worth saving to get a elite Dr. 
Unless your also happy to travel. Lots of euro options too. 
check out the: FUE clinic recommendation: Hattingen vs Pekiner vs Keser vs HLC thread. 

Hasson & Wong are in your price range.  Can’t get much more elite 😂

Hasson and Wong has a clinic in Los Angeles?

55 minutes ago, Richie888 said:

I'd be wary of making life changing choices based on Google and yelp reviews which can be easily fluffed. Granted travel is not an easy option right now but I would really take the time to look at screened clinics at home and abroad. If there's doctors in the state's doing it for half the price without any patient based results then you would have to ask yourself why. 

Does Dr. Varona have any credibility? He is $7/graft and display his results on Instagram? 

• Administrators

I don’t know enough about him, I’ve seen him on IG. Seems like a nice enough guy. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I believe Dr. Varona does the extraction and insertion base off the consultation. 

I will be reaching out to Hasson & Wong and Gabel tomorrow. Been seeing Gabel’s name coming up a lot.

Also is PRP legit? Seems like a lot clinics are pairing that with FUE.

• 1 month later...

Had my surgery at Carolina Hair Surgery.  Fabulous results and I believe their current rate is $4 per graft.  You can see my results at my website listed below.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:30 AM, JohnCasper said:

Had my surgery at Carolina Hair Surgery.  Fabulous results and I believe their current rate is $4 per graft.  You can see my results at my website listed below.

Thanks. Will definitely reach out.

Also does punch size matter for donor area? I like to keep my sides short, usually a #1 or 1/2. I was told by a doctor he can go as small as a .07mm depending on my hair follicle and others have said .08mm or .09mm.

Dr. Vories uses a 0.8mm punch which is hardly noticeable with a shaved head.  Take a look at this photo taken just prior to my second surgery.  1,750 grafts were used in the area outlined.

Left+Donor+Pre.JPG

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.