64 years old, just started Finasteride

It is really used to prevent hair loss not necessarily grow more hair. However there are a few things it may do in some patients to give the appearance of more hair. Wake up hair follicles that are in the sleep cycle or improve the health of weak thinning hairs that are on the way to falling out.

• Like 1

Thanks Dr. Glenn Charles. I am hopeful about Finasteride especially because i have to use it anyway. I wonder if i could be a good candidate for hair restoration at this point and i appreciate any info about such operation in my case. 

Edited by mxm56

Usually its recommended for new finasteride users to wait up to a year before a hair transplant to see how well they respond, if they not only maintain but maybe recover some of what they've lost. Helps the doctor optimize design/density parameters for the procedure. But you got more hair than alot of folks coming on here starting to consider a HT that are much younger.

Considering your current age, you don't have the nagging fear and unknown variable of how bad your hair loss is going to get over the next 30 or 40 years like alot of those younger guys. I think you can safely skip the waiting period and thicken up your crown and frontal areas now.

I had my 1st at 64 and I had waaay less hair than you.  Had my 2nd at 66.  Happily turning 71 tomorrow and still brushing the hair from my eyes.

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

4 hours ago, mxm56 said:

Hello forum users. I would like to get your opinion about my hair loss situation. I just started using Proscar 5mg. Do you think this will be enough to fix my hair? Thanks in advance.

Are you cutting the 5 mg tablets into 4 pieces?...that's what I do because it is not recommended to take 5 mg daily for treating MPB.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

It’s never too late, your hair looks good for 64.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Your hair looks great buddy. I can definitely understand wanting a hair transplant though. Have you consulted with any surgeons? Where are you located?

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Thanks for the compliments. In fact my hair was shining like a grey lion's mane until little ago. Then i guess aging took the toll. It is correct to say i am using Finasteride mainly for other health issues realted to aging. At the same time i think one should try to be happy about his appearence at any age, as much as it would be reasonably possible. I am writing from Spain. Due to the pandemic situation i am evaluating clinics located within the UE boundaries. But i understand i should wait a bit to see my body reaction to the new medication. Of course i would like to avoid the surgery if i can.

Edited by mxm56

IMHO, surgery should always be the last resort.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY