Do Transplanted Hairs Always Shed First

• deitel130 changed the title to Do Transplanted Hairs Always Shed First

Found my answer. Looks like shedding of transplanted hair is common but just like shock loss of existing hair there are some who do not shed transplanted hair.

Below article from Dr. Bernstein.

Shedding of Transplanted Hair

Shedding of transplanted hair is an almost universal characteristic of a hair transplant. This occurs because during hair transplantation a graft is temporarily stripped of its blood supply. As a response to this insult, the grafts shed their hair. Shedding of transplanted hair is noticed beginning one week following the procedure and continuing for up to six weeks. A very small percentage of patients do not shed and the transplanted hair continues to grow. In others, the transplanted hair remains on the scalp for months until a new hair pushes it out. It is important to note that whether a patient sheds or not has no bearing on the outcome of the hair restoration.

• Like 1

I tell my patients that most patients that 90-95% of the4 transplanted hairs will shed in the first month. On rare occasion I have a patients who experiences very little shock fall out of the transplanted hairs and they just start rowing from the day of the4 hair transplant. Remember this is different than shock loss of existing hairs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting as I started to worry a little today. I'm 15 days out of surgery now and I notice as I've been washing the scabs off a lot of hairs come out with the scabs. My recipient area is going scant. I was so gentle with washing that the crusting kind of concealed things up until like day 12 but since then I've been rubbing away at the crusts and shampooing the recipient area with more vigour and the recipient area is now almost free of crust but it looks very scant with regard to new hairs. Also the new hairs are kind of spiking out which is a bit different to the native hair. I'm sure I'll probably lose the rest of the new hairs in the next week or two and I'm sure this is all probably normal but the paranoia is there...

Its reassuring to see somebody say that shedding can start one week and continue to week 6, this at least makes me feel like I'm within the "normal" remit.

I was also being very careful but when I went back to normal shampoo pressure I started to shed quite a bit starting around week 2. The heaviest shedding was between 4-5 weeks. My shedding and shock loss stopped at about week 6. What is interesting though is how the hairs grow for a certain period before shedding. It's almost as if they are growing normally and then the shedding just kicks in.

Edited by deitel130