31 year old caucasian male FUT with Dr. Diep 3680 grafts MHTA Clinic

js2020

This is just to share my experience with FUT from Dr. Diep. Will try to update this thread pictures throughout the year and final review. Hopes this helps others add another data point when making a decision. Schedule the appoinment back in early January 2020, earliest appointment time was October. Did get an email for earlier appoinment in May, but couldn't make it.

Details:
Total Cost: $17,000.00 + $1,888.48 (Extra Grafts) = $18,888.48
Procedure: FUT
Date: 2020-10-19
Grafts: ~3680
Norwood scale: V

It's only been about a three weeks (in shedding phase). Waiting til 8-12 months before posting a review. But here are some of the initial concerns I had with Dr. Diep:
 - Hairs graft placed in rows.
 - Wish they just shaved my all of head instead of giving me a tonsure-like hair cut. *They requested that I keep my hair long. I guess this help with the procedure.
 - I did not see Dr. Diep a lot during the placement of the grafts. Was a total of three times for a total of 15-30 minutes during the 12 hours procedure. Reason likely is that the following day I stopped in the office for hair wash of the donor area. Met fellow patient who had FUE procedure yesterday (Same day as my FUT procedure). So Dr. Diep is doing multiple procedures throughtout the day and dividing his time.
 - FUT scar is bigger on the left side then the right
 - No follow ups from MHTA Clinic after, you need to follow up them. Takes a while to hear back sometimes.

These are just initial concerns; wanted to write them down so I don't forget and help others. Wish I found this site before before procedure. However if after 12 months if I have great result (*subjective*), then I don't mind brushing some of these concerns off.

Pictures:
Before:

top-before.thumb.jpg.8bd2f142172b4d0aa2b2d322c15eeb14.jpg

One day after:

top-after.thumb.jpg.68db8d613c26cca7fec0b2b12bd5921e.jpg

Five days after:

after.thumb.jpg.db792e3fd4f6ef9d0af0677f3a7644cf.jpg

Edited by js2020

Sir this is exactly how I looked during the same time and I had a great out come. Just stay patient and try not to stress. I remember I was in the same situation and I’d literally stared at my head in the mirror every day. Dr Diep has a incredible track record and I would not be concerned about anything my friend. I can’t wait to see you on your progress. Just by looking at the picks I can tell you will have that thick dense look in the hair line.

As far as multiple patients that’s standard in most practices. That’s why  he has patients show up at 5:30 am. Having two patients over 16 hour work day is not a big deal to me.  I work in the medical field and I know how hard it is to always be responsive 24/7. If you call the office usually they are really good with fallow up. 

Keep us posted! 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Firstly, 

Thanks for sharing your review, took the liberty of finding @Skyb picture and indeed looks almost identical. 
image.png

At this point, what is important is staying patient and trusting in the process. The next four months will be difficult, but worth it in the end. As for the scar, it is still healing, give it time. Yes, two patients a day is doable. Hasson and Wong do 4 patients a day, two between doctors, and they’ve been elite for well over two decades. Wishing you the best results 🙌🏼

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Hairgain22 said:

Looks eerily similar to another thread here, almost like it was written by the same person 🤨 

Stop stirring up drama, my only warning.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Stop stirring up drama, my only warning.

All i'm saying is the other guy says he's taking a break for a few weeks, and now this guy pops up an hour later with virtually the same thread. Pretty clear he was at least coached. But fair enough. 

Totally identical. Crazy looking back at the photo bro! Seems like it was just yesterday. I can relate to these people in the early stages of their progress. 

Thank God I was not  aware of this forum during my recovery phase. I would have been an emotional wreck from all the Diep Haters.  What I did instead was binge watched Dr Dieps YouTube channel and Dallas D and HT Soon content. Real people who went through the process and got fantastic results. Not these internet Karen’s crying about corn rows and shit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Just curious, what made you choose him for your FUT as opposed to other doctors? 

If you don't mind posting a picture of your donor as well, that would be helpful. 

I picked Dr. Diep after reading the reviews and  his before and after pictures from other websites (realself, reddit, youtube, yelp, etc). Dr. Diep recommended FUT over FUE for my situation for more grafts and better graft survival. I wanted to hopefully be mostly done with one procedure (similar to skyb@). But Dr. Diep did set the expectation that is uncommon.  I usually shave/cut my hair in the back with 3 (10mm) - 4 (13mm) so this should cover the FUT scan.

Thank for feedback everyone. Again this is just my experience and initial concerns so I don't forget. If the end result is good, then the concerns might not to myself/others.

As requested pictures of the donor area.  Hard to see the scar, doctor that remove the stiches said it would heal nicely. It's likely going to look big as its going to get now due to shock loss around the area. The oillness/greasiness is bacitracin ointment that they recommended to apply 3 times a day for 7-10 days.

5 days after (after hair wash*):

right

right.jpg.b3770b6580bdca9d91fe7a928e03863f.jpg

backback.jpg.f6df0580506d4ddf66185ca508050400.jpg

left

left.jpg.e9bb30d97fb9ba387461843c91c2414b.jpg

13 days after before gettings the stiches removed:

rightright-shaved.thumb.jpg.8875ef6df83cf7cd5d1b7cddacf185fc.jpg

back

back-shaved.thumb.jpg.2ebc56a773c08b35412a83d3fb5f4717.jpg

left

left-shaved.thumb.jpg.1ee3a0973ff136fff6699285103f6c69.jpg

If I shave my head even more I'll post those pictures of the FUT scar.  Just as of right now it doesn't look much different that 13 days pictures.

Edited by js2020

Understood, happy growing @js2020

I was anticipating you to say that you live in California and he was local to you. On this forum we tend to preach location/price do not matter, but more often than not this seems to be one of the biggest determining factors of which surgeon people choose, which in my opinion is rather unfortunate. 

Nevertheless, looking forward to your positive results 🙂.

Looking good! Diep's same implant style coming through here, but I think this technique is working well for him. Skyb and others have had great results and we are excited to see your results as well. Happy Growing! Are you taking any meds like fin? Rogaine?

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

On 11/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, hybonix said:

Looking good! Diep's same implant style coming through here, but I think this technique is working well for him. Skyb and others have had great results and we are excited to see your results as well. Happy Growing! Are you taking any meds like fin? Rogaine?

Yes; I am taking Finasteride (1mg daily), Minoxidil (form), and also Nizoral shampoo.

Been about 1 month, a lot shedding. 

front.thumb.jpg.050dbf5f8ff56799808d9c4c0b1cd364.jpg

back.thumb.jpg.f90b67f9b8008eee958c37b10688a1eb.jpg

Very likely not going to be updating for a for the next 2-3 months due to holidays and I don't think there will be any much changes. 

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Looks like growth has started and you are just a little over a month it seems. Exciting times ahead.

Its been 3+ months since the HT, so I hope it doesn't look that its only been a month :( 

• Administrators

One month the grafts would still be shedding. It looks spot on to three months. The scar is healing nicely.

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Month 5 (~150 days) update.  Got a haircut for sides and and back (nothing for top).  Barber used 1 inch guard.

m5front.thumb.jpg.77692543d2073dbacd4e7bb2a0fde1a3.jpgm5right.thumb.jpg.3d3b86e48d285e55464a294b15e8062f.jpg

m5left.thumb.jpg.ef7dd8ae3870c07027e71dbd9249c40f.jpg

m5back.thumb.jpg.cfba458379c35bdde99e0c23f118e531.jpg

Other notes: back of the head is has a more sore feeling instead of numbness.

• Administrators

Definitely a lot of growth now, hairs are still vellus and fine, but the next 7 months is gonna be 🤩 

View my thread

• 1 month later...