Is this Normal Donor Shock Loss Or Am I F*cked?

Hi all,

Its Day 25 post FUE, and I just noticed this significant bald line behind my left ear in the donor area. This area is impossible to see without a mirror at a certain angle, so I am just noticing it now and don't know when it developed. Hoping this is just run-of-the-mill temporary shock loss, but anxious if this is something else/worse. I'm concerned because most shock loss photos I've seen, the shock loss appears more to be a blob/ambiguous shape, whereas this bald patch seems like a predetermined line (I could be wrong on this though). 

The picture with all scabs is left side of my head 5 days post op. The other pics are left side of my head today/Day 25. Note that some of the pics mistakenly make it look like its on the right side of my head, thats just bc I reversed my phone's camera settings for some of the pics - just to clarify this is a single line shape only appearing on the left side behind my ear. 

For what its worth, this surgeon and a different one remarked I have incredibly thick donor hair. I also know anesthesia can be related to shock loss - it seemed like they were generous with the lidocaine, I rarely felt any pain during the procedure, but can't gauge if they really used more than normal. 

I also could be wrong, but it looks like this line is actually a significantly a bit lower than where most of the donor hair on the left side was taken. 

Essentially wondering if this seems like normal temporary shock loss or any thoughts what it can be? Should I start applying Rogaine on this area 1x/day or what should next steps be besides obviously waiting it out?

Thanks,

25 Days Pic 6.jpg

25 Days Pic 5.jpg

25 Days Pic 4.jpg

25 Days Pic 3.jpg

25 Days Pic 2.jpg

25 Days Pic 1.jpg

5 Days Post Op.jpg

Edited by DenverBuff1989

The timing and location is highly suggestive of shock loss. Minoxidil daily on it will help imo. It should hopefully improve over the next few months. I do believe epinephrine/adrenaline is what causes this usually. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators

That definitely looks like shock loss, it’s not even where hairs were extracted.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

relieved both of you think it is shock-loss related. @Melvin-Moderator would you agree to put Rogaine on it? Once or 2X daily? I've read elsewhere a steroid injection in the area and/or PRP therapy might help with the shock loss, but unsure about that. 

Thanks!

I would say twice daily and start taking msm and biotin.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looks like shock loss. Nothing to worry about. You're at a point now where many people worry and patience is hard to abide by. Keep us posted and best of luck.

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• 2 months later...

Shock loss is worrying but it seems it should all grow back. Is it just me or have people been reporting a lot more shock loss with FUE donor area. I also noticed it's in a wider area compared to FUT where it's more localized along the strip line. Wonder if donor shock loss like this is just due to too much anesthetic to put the hairs into a temporary shock.

Edited by deitel130

1 hour ago, deitel130 said:

Shock loss is worrying but it seems it should all grow back. Is it just me or have people been reporting a lot more shock loss with FUE donor area. I also noticed it's in a wider area compared to FUT where it's more localized along the strip line. Wonder if donor shock loss like this is just due to too much anesthetic to put the hairs into a temporary shock.

I could feel that this area was injected with more anaesthetic than the other side.... Other side is doing well...

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Vishal said:

Hair in donor area were growing perfectly till one week then these patches happened.... Is it shock loss or over harvesting

If you know the hair was there and growing after the procedure then you already know it can't be over harvesting, so obviously it would be shock loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.