Dr. Wong 3500+ grafts FUT

deitel130

I have just recently had 3500+ grafts via FUT by Dr. Wong. This was my second surgery my first was also about 3500 in the frontal half of scalp about 10 years ago by a different Doctor and i've been on Finasteride for the last decade. My thinning is mostly diffused. I was asked to perform scalp Laxity exercises by Dr. Wong and by doing so I was able to get additional grafts with a second surgery.

Here are the details.

Got to the clinic early morning, took pics and got changed. Dr. Wong then marked the hairline and area where thinning is. He then shaved the recipient area as he was going to transplant between existing hair and wanted the best possible vision so to not damage existing hair. He went over the plan again. The plan was to start from the front and work as far back as possible and leave the crown for now. I'm not completely bald but thin in certain areas. He took more pics then some meds and face down for donor extraction. Dr. Wong is such a perfectionist he took 1 hour and 45 mins to cut out the strip carefully ensuring he removed all the existing scar tissue and get the most grafts possible and try to keep a thin scar. He said my elasticity was excellent and scalp exercises helped. He then proceeded to make all the slits. The technicians then loaded the implanter pens and started the implanting. In the afternoon he made more slits and technicians finished the implanting. About 3500+ grafts in total. This was interesting that although implanter pens were used Dr. Wong made the slits first as this allows him more control where grafts will go.

Once finished they lightly sprinkled the recipient area with water to clean up and make any final adjustments of grafts.

Dr Wong asked me to come in the next morning and he himself washed my head. He also washed the recipient site and said in the past they were more careful with washing but since they now use implanter pens which allows him to make smaller slits the grafts are more tightly secured. He then examined following the wash and said all looked good. Dr. Wong is truly a perfectionist and I was very impressed with the entire experience from the technicians and Dr. Wong himself. He even gave his personal number and said to call anytime due to any issues or concerns. 

Third day check in Dr. Wong advised that I had quite a few white pimples and the nurse would pop them, wash my head and apply an antibiotic to prevent infection. Will be going in again next 2 days to have it checked.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Awesome man, cant wait to see your pictures, thanks for sharing your journey with our forum.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's worrisome how much your diffuse thinning continued over the past decade, even while being on finasteride.. I wonder how many of us diffuse thinners are taking a similar gamble on our HTs.. Good thing you started with FUT to maximize the number of grafts. I'm going to go with FUE and hope that dutasteride can prevent future loss, and use BHT down the line if I need to.

Did your donor thin out at all? Can you share any pics from before/after your first procedure?

Work looks good, very curious to see how this turns out as there aren't too many HT cases spreading out the grafts to enhance overall density. Can you share the hair per graft counts?

Edited by giegnosiganoe

Just now, giegnosiganoe said:

Yes I'm on dutasteride for 1 year, fin for 6 months before that. Hopefully I don't lose much ground.

The meds should help stabilize loss. I found it didn't completely stop hair loss but really slowed the loss. Last year when I started lifting weights I found I lost a lot of native hair. I know people say there is no relationship but I disagree. I feel everyone is different and working out increases testosterone so probably more conversion to DHT happened. Since Finasteride does not completely block conversion it reduces it with the testosterone spikes it probably caused more conversion and hence more loss. TBH prior to last year I was not even thinking of a second procedure at this time but it is what it is.

Nice write up, really impressive after-care too. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators

Do you have any pictures of what your hairline looked like before?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

Before this second procedure?

Yes

View my thread

@Melvin-Moderator here are two pics. I understand you have also had a few procedures. Did any of your procedures cover areas where you had existing hair? If yes, did you have any temporary shock loss? Trying to get an idea if I should expect any temporary shock loss. The reason Dr. Wong wanted me to shave the recipient site was so that he can clearly see the existing hair and not damage any. But I never got a chance to ask him whether I should expect temporary shock loss to existing hair.

Screenshot_20201110-135234.png

Screenshot_20201110-142153.png

• Administrators

@deitel130

Thanks for sharing, your hairline looked decent. I do see how those few hairs could be an annoyance. Did you lower the hairline to that point? 

As for me, yes my last procedure I had some hairs transplanted in the midscalp where I had previous work. Luckily, I didn’t experience any shock loss. But I did in my crown. It subsided and grew back around the 4th month. You’ve chosen an excellent clinic. I have no doubt you’ll be in for an incredible result.

View my thread

Just now, Melvin-Moderator said:

@deitel130

Thanks for sharing, your hairline looked decent. I do see how those few hairs could be an annoyance. Did you lower the hairline to that point? 

As for me, yes my last procedure I had some hairs transplanted in the midscalp where I had previous work. Luckily, I didn’t experience any shock loss. But I did in my crown. It subsided and grew back around the 4th month. You’ve chosen an excellent clinic. I have no doubt you’ll be in for an incredible result.

We decided not to lower the hairline as that would have meant more grafts to build a new hairline. Dr. Wong worked with the existing hairline so that I can get the added density I was looking for in the front and middle. The crown is what remains and Dr Wong estimated another 1500 would work well for my crown. 

Thanks for the encouragement. Hasson and Wong are truly top notch. The level of service has been exceptional and Dr. Wong has no ego whatsoever. It is probably the same from all the clinics referred here and I've been very happy to find this site which has been very helpful.

With the hairline I was used to having it being a lot thicker until last year where it just thinned quote a bit and so wanted to address that to get it back to what I was used to and also add some more density throughout.

• Like 1

Day 8. Applied a wet face cloth to scalp prior to wash to help remove scabs. Post op instructions also mentioned to massage recipient area in shower for up to 5 mins but didn't really make much progress with scab removal. Will try again tomorrow. Any recommendations on easily removing these scabs? Pic attached.

Donor area healing well but still sore. 

Screenshot_20201114-115440.png

to remove my scabs, in the shower I literally filled a big cup of warm water and poured it over my head probably 20 times to get the scabs/grafts soaked, then I would rub the scabs with my fingers, take them off the scabs to see what came off, wash off the scabs, and repeat. Honestly 90% of my scabs came off within 1 shower that lasted maybe 30 minutes lol. At day 8, don't be modest, really scrub them with some force

• Thanks 1

correct. I only used a cup up until today (day 10). My shower head is pretty aggressive with water pressure so I just didnt want to risk anything, plus my head is still numb so it just all feels very strange. I just let the water hit my back and chest, while pouring water on my head. I took a normal shower this morning and it all seemed fine

9 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

correct. I only used a cup up until today (day 10). My shower head is pretty aggressive with water pressure so I just didnt want to risk anything, plus my head is still numb so it just all feels very strange. I just let the water hit my back and chest, while pouring water on my head. I took a normal shower this morning and it all seemed fine

Same as you. I've been using a bowl to pour water as well. I guess at day 10 I will switch to shower head. Although at Hasson and Wong the second day wash they used one of those faucet extension but the pressure was not so strong.

Looks like you had a recent procedure as well. Where and how many grafts? Do you have a thread started?

On 11/10/2020 at 6:47 AM, giegnosiganoe said:

Yes I'm on dutasteride for 1 year, fin for 6 months before that. Hopefully I don't lose much ground.

If you don't mind me asking what dosage dutasteride are you taking? Did you notice any sides that you didn't have on fin? Thanks