2561 FUT - Dr. Bloxham

hairlossPA

Hello everyone - 

I've been on this site with an account for almost 3 years now, and I honestly can't believe I actually pulled the trigger haha. It still hasn't hit me yet.

Some of you might be aware of the amazing results I have received from finasteride alone (here), but over time, those results haven't really held up, so I decided to get a hair transplant to rebuild my frontal third. I was originally planning to see Hasson and Wong in Canada earlier this year, but due to COVID and travel restrictions, that was no longer a possibility and I was losing valuable recovery time as each month passed. I am still working from home, and laying low as we get ready for the winter months is just too perfect of a time to get a transplant for me to pass up. I already had an in-person consultation with Dr. Bloxham last year, so he had already seen me, and I was comfortable going with him. Luckily he was able to get me in on such short notice.

I won't bore everyone with the regular details, but overall the procedure was pretty smooth. Here are some quick notes:

1. Procedure Date: 11/4/2020
  2. Total Grafts: 2561. Singles: 1051. Multi (2s and 3s): 1510. I was kind of disappointed to learn I had so many singles, but oh well...
  3. When I asked him how my laxity was he responded "very good".
  4. A tech said I have "beautiful grafts". Fingers crossed that means a good result :)
  5. The numbing injections hurt much more than I thought they would. I would say 7/10 on the first pass, and then 3/10 on the later passes.
  6. The years of experience of all the techs working on me ranged from 20 years, 10 years, 10 years, 6 years and 3 years. So that was comforting that they had been with the clinic that long. They were all very nice.

In the hotel after the HT:

IMG_8710.JPG

In the bathroom at the clinic. Last pic pre-HT😅

IMG_8696.JPG

Edited by hairlossPA
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Nice write up I see you chose Bloxham over H&W. They’re both excellent choices. Bloxham happened to have my job before haha, so he’s a certified hair geek. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That graft placement is so neat and refined. Dr. Bloxham is a great surgeon and a stand up guy. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Picture of scar morning after surgery when the bandage came off. It pretty much goes ear to ear or temple to temple if you wanna call it that. I am getting my staples removed on friday when they will be at their Philadelphia location which is closer to me.

8DA22071-F805-4218-98A5-5512684BDAE7.thumb.jpeg.ea277b17678609cb9c35b0f6c0043dd8.jpeg

I've seen some of Dr. Bloxham's post-op patients and the scar heals so well that's it's barely discernable, even with short hair. Avoid vigorous exercise, smoking, drinking alcohol for 1 month and you'll heal up well. I've seen a patient resume heavy lifting at the gym like 1 week after an FUT procedure and he messed up his scar

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Nice! That's an awesome hairline.

It's good to see futurehairtransplantdoc producing work like this and developing a really great reputation for himself.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Administrators
7 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

Nice! That's an awesome hairline.

It's good to see futurehairtransplantdoc producing work like this and developing a really great reputation for himself.

Haha yes the future has arrived and he’s certainly put himself in a great position.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Staples came out at day 9 since they were in their Philadelphia location and that is closer to me. Here are pictures after staple removal.

Couple notes:

1. Dr. Bloxham was really impressed with how fast I healed. He said the way I look right now is how he would expect his normal patient at the 14 day mark, not the 9 day mark.
  2. He said I did a good job cleaning and getting the scabs off.
  3. It's obviously early, but I'm very happy with how the incision is looking.
  4. I took the clippers to my head at a #2 guard and carefully tried to even it all out.
  5. The top of my head and above the incision line is still very sensitive/numb.

IMG_8788.JPG

IMG_8798.JPG

IMG_8799.JPG

Edited by hairlossPA

I'm on day 11 haven't really noticed much shedding yet but I guess it will be more apparrent at the 2 week mark. I was advised that few people don't shed. Found that interesting.

Are you experiencing any shockloss to native hair? Were you told to expect shockloss to native hair or most likely not?

I'm also a recent patient of Dr. Bloxham's who did something similar to you (had an FUE scheduled in Europe that I had to cancel twice due to Covid travel restrictions.) Just wanted to let you know that everything seems to run at an accelerated pace with Dr. Bloxham's work (I was told to vigorously scrub off scabs at Day 6, and I was also shedding some by Day 10.) Hopefully this just means you'll see growth earlier

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just passed the 12 week mark. Not sure what the most accurate representation of results are, whether that be weeks, or "months". For instance, my 3 month mark would actually be on February 4th, which is not for 1 more week. Anyways... here is an update.

Key points:

1. I have not cut my hair since 12/27, to which I cut it with a #2 clipper all around.
  2. Very happy with how the incision is healing. I tried really really hard not to look at it this entire time. These pics are actually the first time I'm seeing it since 12/27. I will probably try to cut the sides with a #4 or #5 in the next couple days to see what I'm working with length-wise to cover the scar. My fiance says she can only see a few small spots where she can see a difference, but she says that's only because she knows I had something done.
  3. I can feel tiny pricks of hair on and around the scar, which hopefully means it'll only get better.
  4. My native hair seems to have grown back, which I'm obviously happy about. I dodged the dreaded permanent shock loss. It just needs to grow back longer and I'll probably be where I was pre-op.
  5. No new growth yet. Definitely trying to remain patient. I know these next 2 months are gonna set the tone.
  6. None of these pictures are with Toppik. I am using Toppik when I leave the house.
  7. Still on finasteride 1mg/day. It's really keeping my crown in check and not letting it dip.

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_6506.JPG

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9635.JPG

Edited by hairlossPA

It probably felt like the longest 3 months of your life but the good news is that you are past that stage and that much closer to your new hairs popping through. Your scar has healed up quite well. I also had some shock loss around my scar but like you felt some stubble like hairs which I assume was shock loss growing back. Happy growing man.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Usually month three is back to baseline. You’re right on schedule. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
3 hours ago, hairlossPA said:

Cut with a #5 guard. Happy with how its turning out. I'd like to eventually go lower, but I know I'm still early at 3 months so I need to give it time.

IMG_9692.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

I would do a taper, go #1 at the bottom, #2 in the middle and blend and fade to #3 and #4 at the very top. I did this for my friend who had a strip and had FUE last year. Works good, and it still gives you that short hair look. You can slightly see the scar, but barely. I think I even went 0.5 guard at the bottom. 

B06F7669-0F6A-49BB-A6E3-E7FAF0D16EAD.jpeg

View my thread