FUE transplant hairs grow before shed?

Full shed is not expected with everyone. In some cases transplanted hairs go into a growth stage immediately, or can grow a bit then shed or alternatively can shed immediately. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators

In my experience, the hairs do grow slightly, but I shed around 3 weeks.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Some of mine grew up until 2-3 months and then shed, it really is pretty unpredictable. I wouldn't assume the hairs in your hairline have been transected though just because they are doing different things to what others are - each follicle has a brain of its own. 

I would suggest that in most cases, the original growth that is being referred to is more the hair shaft slowly being "pushed" and expelled from the recipient site before falling (shedding), therefore appearing longer. Even with patients who maintain a percentage of grafts without ever seemingly visually shedding those grafts, this is generally due to the graft remaining until it is expelled by the "new growth cycle" and is therefore immediately replaced by a new hair. As this happens at unique times throughout the recipient area, it would appear as though some grafts did not shed.

@alex1985 You should have no concerns regarding "no growth" of non shed hairs at 4 weeks post op. Completely normal and you will still likely shed these hairs in the next weeks.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I am experiencing some early growth 3 months and 2 weeks in. I had immediate graft growth, then 80% of the grafts shed between week 3-6. Lots of transplanted hair in my forelock never shed. So if my early rebound out of the ugly duckling stage was predicated by instant graft growth, I would say it is a good sign.

I have it all captured here.

Edited by jimcraig152
  • Like 1