3332 FUE Grafts - Dr. Ron Shapiro & Dr. Josephitis (SMG)

hybonix

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I thought I’d share this a case study to show how much texture can change. Months 5 vs. 116B993651-9D7B-4654-A803-7F44BD8E62C0.jpeg

• Like 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Month 11 Update (10/1/21)

• Hair still looking amazing!
  • If I do not use any clay or gel, it still looks a bit unkempt with the kinks/curls. However, it is settling down and maturing quite well.
  • This procedure was a smashing success. SMG rocks and this is a knock out for me. It made me feel better about not going to H&W as they were my first choice of surgeon, but I couldn't go due to the Canada border closure.

Story time:
My wife made some new friends who I have only known for a month, so they did not know about the prior situation with my baldness/lack of hair. We went out to dinner at Disneyland and they were asking how my wife and I met. We went over the story and I showed them pictures of us when I was only 19 years old. They immediately said, "whoah you looked really bald!" They immediately apologized for the quick and brash reaction. They followed up and said I looked a lot different now which was a good thing. I grinned and they grew a little suspicious based on my reaction. I fessed up and told them I had work done and they were absolutely blown away. They proceeded to say it was a great decision and that I looked way better now. They are pretty blunt folks, but they again apologized for the harsh reaction of seeing that picture. This interaction alone validated the procedure and I felt 100% accomplished with the decision. It felt great to know this changed the perception of my appearance but also instilled more confidence. I no longer have to worry about my hair and can live life.

Here is that picture they saw:
549269_588307704529982_386627299_n.jpg.8d59f2d9a43844ca2daf31c2e93c9e65.jpg

Here I am today:
IMG_9702.thumb.jpg.208a160c37c7029d2fac8812be7b5166.jpg65439239448__CB70D0CE-1444-4D61-8875-DD43D131AECB.thumb.jpg.3ce743c8343a403bbf83d42b4abbfc28.jpg

You be the judge...

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 7

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

Those off-hand comments from people who didn't know are so reaffirming, huh?  I remember those after my first procedure with Dr. Paul.  "Your hair has never looked better." "Keep the hair!" etc.  Makes it feel all worth it. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi @hybonix! Just wanted to say your results are fantastic. Your thread/results literally made me sign up for an account here just so I could comment on how great it turned out.

I'm someone who has been considering SMG myself, however I've been kicking the can down the road since I always told myself that my hair loss isn't too bad and I've been able to manage/conceal it for as long as I have...but no more! I just reached out to SMG today for a consultation.

Appreciate you sharing your story with us and inspiring us newbs who have been standing on the sidelines!

Edited by Balding Bad
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Wow what a difference, hair loss is a such a thief of youth. Glad we have something to do about it now. And it’s awesome you’ve shown your face, because really these pictures say it all. You remind me of a younger red-haired Patrick Wilson, with better hair! 
image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• 1 month later...

One Year Update

• Hair is still going strong! I am excited to live life normally and have no stress
  • Still feels weird to style my hair, but I am not complaining!
  • In harsh light, you can see it's a tiny bit weak in the very front or on bad hair days such as today which is evident in the last picture. However, it's not a big deal and may need some refinement in a couple of years.
  • I will stop updating this thread now that we are a year in. I am going to schedule a follow-up with SMG as well for a regular check-in

IMG_9941.thumb.jpg.dcc6e0053d418fe0f34c3cf3276afa06.jpg

IMG_0191.thumb.jpg.a759e8aa45166c649a68655b06ef5dd2.jpg

IMG_0240.thumb.jpg.040cdd2cb58fff498d41e860b4450470.jpg

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 7

You know it's a great transplant when you stop blurring your face! Seriously looks awesome. Went from having almost nothing up front to a dense frontal third. Don't worry about being able to see through the very front in harsh light. Even with a full head of hair if the light catches it right you can see through like the first cm. Especially with straight hair.

• 1 month later...

13 Month Update

• This will be my final update as I have decided to pull the trigger on a second transplant with SMG. It may sound aggressive, but I would like to pack more in the hairline and potentially lower it ever so slightly if I can
  • I am to the MOON with my results and I have not worn a hat in a year now... I used to wear hats every time I would go out, but now my hat is collecting dust in the closet
  • If anyone is thinking of going to SMG, DO NOT HESITATE. Yes, they are a little more conservative, but they get the most natural results I have seen on the forums. They are also class act and a well oiled machine. The techs have been there for many many years and have a ton of experience. They take care of you and will make you look amazing
  • Ron Shapiro, Dr. Josephitis and the SMG crew have changed my life. Thank you so much!!!

IMG_0512.thumb.jpg.8d072956fe62ff6dd9005dce97790168.jpg

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Looks fantastic and great to see @Dr. Ron Shapiro comment here, one of the best 👏🏼

View my thread

Just fantastic! 😎 Those 13 months flew by, huh?  It feels like yesterday when you were just looking into clinics.  You choose wisely.  

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Whats the hairloss story, when did it began, any hair routine before surgery? To many times we see people going straight to surgery and thus wasting grafts and money. Its good to read about plans to have a post sur routine bc many times people dont even care about that.

5 hours ago, haironhead said:

Whats the hairloss story, when did it began, any hair routine before surgery?

See original post...

On 12/19/2021 at 9:41 AM, haironhead said:

Whats the hairloss story, when did it began, any hair routine before surgery? To many times we see people going straight to surgery and thus wasting grafts and money. Its good to read about plans to have a post sur routine bc many times people dont even care about that.

I was on finasteride and copper peptides for 3 months before the surgery. I did a M/W/F routine to start as fin made me cloudy and have headaches at first. I will admit, I am not sure how much fin would have helped, but I was completely bald in my frontal third. So, no amount of medication was bringing that back no matter how hard I tried. Thus, that made my hair transplant decision clear for me personally.

Currently, I take Fin 1MG M/W/F/Sa/Su and oral minoxidil everyday now. I have noticed the hairs behind my frontal area have gotten stronger and it looks much better.

• 3 weeks later...

14 Month Update

• Okay, I lied as this will be my last update as I have decided to pull the trigger on a second transplant with SMG. It may sound aggressive, but I would like to pack more in the hairline and potentially lower it ever so slightly if I can
  • My surgery is booked for May 31, 2022 to add more density to the hairline and hopefully round it off a bit more.
  • We are shooting for 1500 - 1800 grafts and I will post a new thread on the matter in May. It would be cool if I could get some video of the procedure. Maybe a collab with @Melvin- Moderator? Haha
  • I did some mock ups below for my desired hairline and appearance. What do you guys think? Too aggressive to be done with 1800 grafts?

I am hoping for a slight lower of the hairline and to pack in the front. If we cannot do this, we will just add density to the hairline:

IMG_0750.thumb.jpg.541da4455a5283ac38ffd6763a43a00b.jpg

IMG_0741.thumb.jpg.87e7f397cf993435ff598ab187cf30af.jpg

• Administrators

Looking forward to your new journey. I’m definitely willing to collaborate. You can film it and I’ll edit it and post it on YouTube for you.

View my thread

1 hour ago, hybonix said:

It would be cool if I could get some video of the procedure. Maybe a collab with @Melvin- Moderator? Haha

That's a sweeeet idea!

I don't think your hairline mockups are overly aggressive.  Since you comb your hair to the right (I think, unless your pics are flipped?) you may want to drop and fill in the left side of the hairline, more so than the other side since it is covered with the way you style it.  The area behind the redline - you could be more aggressive on this side.

IMG_0512.thumb.jpg.8d072956fe62ff6dd9005dce97790168.jpg.286f951858e56b8d703ea0e57e82e99c.jpg

• Like 2