3332 FUE Grafts - Dr. Ron Shapiro & Dr. Josephitis (SMG)

hybonix

• Administrators

You’ve got absolutely no reason to feel anything other than excitement. Incredible difference.

9037455A-1BA6-4D98-9CFB-B3EE2F5DD74A.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

39 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’ve got absolutely no reason to feel anything other than excitement. Incredible difference.

Melvin, you beat me to the punch on the before and after photos! It's night and day compared to what I was... I was bald up top and now I have hair. Thank you for the reassurance. I guess I got lost in wanting more and more hair after the procedure. However, I do hope the wiry hair calms down as this makes it harder to style. Do you have any styling gels that do not make my hair look shiny, hard or moist? I like the natural kind that keeps your hair looking "dry." @aaron1234told me that styling gel and a good hair stylist really helps achieve the best look for an HT.

10 minutes ago, Style22 said:

How have the temple points grown in?

The left one grew in, but the right is a bit lacking to be honest. I think it's due to the fact that my hair is so light that it does not provide much density. Here is a close up of the right side versus the left:

1978427460_TemplePoints.thumb.jpg.e2a54769fa74f3fa6a61068ddcc2c71f.jpg

• Like 3

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

• Administrators

The texture will change in due time, my HT was the same.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

3 hours ago, hybonix said:

I guess I got lost in wanting more and more hair after the procedure.

Ha, join the club! 😂

It is looking perfectly natural and the grafts yielded well.  I think it's normal to want more density with transplanted hair, I still do after 7 surgeries!  Just keep in mind that it is an improvement you are after, not perfection.  

You will need to find a sweet spot in length for the transplanted hair.  For me after a hair cut my hair looks thinner the first week.  It grows a centimeter or two and looks full again.  Definitely experiment with products and find a stylist you trust.  I went to the same one for 10 years before my recent move, almost $100 a cut.  

I don't think you need more than another 1-2k grafts if you wanted to beef things up in the front.  You definitely don't need another mega session, so it would be a cheaper surgery.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

9037455A-1BA6-4D98-9CFB-B3EE2F5DD74A.jpeg

Definitely a significant improvement but I know SMG strongly recommends waiting 12 months before judging the results.  I would love to see if you start seeing any more density a month or two from now.  Please continue to update each month.  My sense is you will given all the grafts added in your frontal third and I would be surprised if all 3300 grafts have reached their optimal density at 8 months.  Hang in there as I am trying to do the same at 3 months and reserve judgment.  I am just barely starting to see results come in but will post updates as soon as I have some growth to share.  I also shaved it down just to not analyze it so much for a bit as it feels too early to judge.  :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dtap said:

Why does transplanted hair get wirey? Thats very weird

1) Usually because it's recovering from the trauma of surgery.  2) Sometimes hair characteristics from the donor area differs slightly from the recipient area.  Could be one or the other or both.  

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

1 hour ago, aaron1234 said:

1) Usually because it's recovering from the trauma of surgery.  2) Sometimes hair characteristics from the donor area differs slightly from the recipient area.  Could be one or the other or both.  

I agree with your 1st point but got to disagree with the 2nd. Appreciate the reply

Well, the hair from my donor region had more of a wave to it when grown out longer, more so than the native hair on top which grew straight, and it kept that characteristic when transplanted.  I guess that doesn't necessarily equal "wirey" transplanted hair, but may be an example that donor hair may behave in a different manner.  Either way, it eventually matures and settles down.

9 hours ago, aaron1234 said:

Well, the hair from my donor region had more of a wave to it when grown out longer, more so than the native hair on top which grew straight, and it kept that characteristic when transplanted.  I guess that doesn't necessarily equal "wirey" transplanted hair, but may be an example that donor hair may behave in a different manner.  Either way, it eventually matures and settles down.

From what I've gathered since my last reply transplanted hair normally doesnt behave that way unless certain forces inhibit their usual shape like one of the forces you raised in your previous comment. In all my years on earth I've yet to come across someone with more than 1 hair shape. Your case with the unusual wavy transplanted hair falls in line with the phenomenon you had mentioned.

Edited by dtap

On 7/1/2021 at 11:09 PM, dtap said:

From what I've gathered since my last reply transplanted hair normally doesnt behave that way unless certain forces inhibit their usual shape like one of the forces you raised in your previous comment. In all my years on earth I've yet to come across someone with more than 1 hair shape. Your case with the unusual wavy transplanted hair falls in line with the phenomenon you had mentioned.

I’d like to shed some light on this from my perspective as well. My hair tends to curl as well when it gets too long. Specifically the hairs on the lower back of my neck. Same thing happens with my sideburns. So I think it’s a combo of shock, my hair style and overall maturity of the hair.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:57 PM, aaron1234 said:

Makes sense and is interesting…So how long did ur “wave” last or have the characteristics always been different of the transplanted hair?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Rynomite13 said:

Makes sense and is interesting…So how long did ur “wave” last or have the characteristics always been different of the transplanted hair?

For me, the wiry appearance lasted around a year. It started calming down around 18 months. 

• Like 2

View my thread

13 hours ago, hybonix said:

I’d like to shed some light on this from my perspective as well. My hair tends to curl as well when it gets too long. Specifically the hairs on the lower back of my neck. Same thing happens with my sideburns. So I think it’s a combo of shock, my hair style and overall maturity of the hair.

So that effect falls in line with those forces mentioned above.

It would be interesting to find someone with more than 1 different hair type/shape. I'm sure he exists somewhere on this planet.

Edited by dtap

• 2 weeks later...

Month 8.5
Minor update, I picked up some Aveda clay which volumizes the hair and lets me style it to make it look more dense. It's a natural look (no shine) and really helps the transplanted look. It has made the transplanted hair much more clean and uniform. Seriously transformed my look. It's pricey but worth it: https://www.aveda.com/product/17776/16733/styling/mens-styling/aveda-men-pure-formance-grooming-clay#/shade/2.5_fl_oz%2F75_ml

IMG_8773.thumb.jpg.f148da5271c1811efc62f07ffb707299.jpg

2021-07-16_11-55-21.png.9ace3e0fc4f2ab774896cd05f97676b1.png

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, hybonix said:

Month 8.5
Minor update, I picked up some Aveda clay which volumizes the hair and lets me style it to make it look more dense. It's a natural look (no shine) and really helps the transplanted look. It has made the transplanted hair much more clean and uniform. Seriously transformed my look. It's pricey but worth it: https://www.aveda.com/product/17776/16733/styling/mens-styling/aveda-men-pure-formance-grooming-clay#/shade/2.5_fl_oz%2F75_ml

IMG_8773.thumb.jpg.f148da5271c1811efc62f07ffb707299.jpg

2021-07-16_11-55-21.png.9ace3e0fc4f2ab774896cd05f97676b1.png

Looks really nice and clean dude.  Thanks for continuing to update.  I had a 3.5 month check in with Shapiro and am starting to see some hairs come in.  Will post an update once I get the updated photos from the clinic next week…

• Like 1

Month 8.75 - New Haircut

• I decided to try something daring and get a fade on the sides or a gentleman's cut.
  • The barber cut some of my hairs from the hairline which I think was a mistake.
  • Not sure how I feel, but I do not think the transplant can pull that look off. Hairline is too weak imo. lol
  • The donor area looks good but you can see the dots from the HTxD
  • It's always worth experimenting, but yeah not sure about this one. I like it but HT looks weaker I think.

IMG_8878.thumb.jpg.03aa5b59cbe330d5bf5317bcb25cb236.jpg

IMG_8887.thumb.jpg.ee91afa17c031124b60766906bcdef0e.jpg

IMG_8873.thumb.jpg.64baaed62e43895598c9c75290a3ebed.jpg

Edited by hybonix
  • Like 1