1,800 grafts or 3,200 grafts?

Ok, so I've been doing as much research as possible and I've contacted lots of reputable surgeons. My dilemma makes the mind boggle though. One surgeon estimated I'd need 1,800 grafts, another one reckons 3,000+. Most reckon 2,200 - 2,500. This worries me. How can the estimates vary so much?

I would go with what most Drs recommend 2200-2500 grafts. It’s sometimes difficult to judge how many grafts are needed unless it’s in person consultations.

And as I always have to say that some Drs appear to get better coverage with less grafts. 

• Administrators

One surgeon can be conservative and the other one aggressive, it depends on what you prefer and what’s in your best interest.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I can understand how it is diffucult to estimate based on pictures, but the difference between 1,800 and 3,000+ is stupendous. Dr Saifi in Poland qouted me 1,800, Dr Bicer in Turkey qouted 3,000 - 3,500. I really like the vibe off Dr Anastasakis (Greece) and he estimated 2,000. I have an appointment in Blackrock (Dublin) next week so I'll ask them, but they never do more than 2,000 grafts per session, and they probably won't want to tell me why one surgeon will say one thing and another surgeon will say something totally different.

Why would one surgeon be conservative and another aggressive? I want my hairline restored, preferably with nice lush density.

Also, do all clinics reccomend two transplants? Dr Bicer said I might need to come back next year for a second procedure to achieve lush density, but she is the only person who has said this. I'm querying all this because she seems really really good and she is on some of the reputable boards, but then again, all of the doctors I've contacted have got good reputations.

• Administrators

Have you seen real patient revise from either of these surgeons? Have you asked these questions to these particular doctors? It’s hard to give you an accurate answer without pictures.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That's my hair(line) while dry and also when wet. The hair in these pics is fine-combed in the direction that it grows. I've read reviews from these doctors, they're mostly good for both docs. I haven't asked them how they estimated the quantity of grafts required though, but I know that Blackrock (Dublin) don't like to transplant too many grafts in one session.

20201010_005252.jpg

Turkey is gung-ho for transplants and it is not uncommon for them to go 3000-5000.  Problem is the quality may well suffer and a high percentage never grow.  The grafts are wasted and your chances of getting a decent second HT (repair) are significantly reduced.

Safi seems like an ethical guy and HRBR aren't bad either.  Smaller daily sessions are safer in case you get a poor outcome.

I think 2000-2500 is about right

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Guys, thanks a lot. Its great to hear other people's opinions. I posted a long comment but it says **hidden so I don't know if you guys can see it.

I wonder why or how Dr Bicer would estimate such a high number, especially given that she seems reputable and very experienced. It also makes me worry that if I go with someone who does 2,000 grafts will the result be poor, will it lack density?

Choosing a surgeon and learning about this subject really is messy.

2000 or less wouldn’t give great density in my opinion, but 2500 and above would. Its tough because each Dr may have their reasons for saying more. And as Melvin mentioned it can be a conservative or aggressive approach.

Be interesting where they would be drawing your hairline. They should be able to give a explanation on what they are recommending. 

Hi Rossybop, my experience differed quite a bit also. Ranged from 2000 to 3500 in the discussions I had. I think via pictures or video calls make it tough compared to in person. Ended up being around 3200.

My first consultation estimated about 2500 so when I was told upwards of 3500 I was nearly disappointed.

Ultimately, when your new hairline is drawn you see the coverage is much greater then you might see in your eyes or images.

Speaking in person to the guys on Blackrock will help.

From looking and only comparing to my own hairline I reckon 2500 - 3000 seems reasonable.

I would ask the clinics direct and specifically why they say the number of grafts they are saying in comparison to other clinics you are speaking to. Let them explain their thoughts.

Head sizes vary. As a result, coverage area depends not only on how things look but also how they measure up. Your dr should take a ruler to your scalp and calculate the number of grafts needed to achieve 50%+ density. You can't go on photos alone. Also to note there are clinics, many in Turkey, that will quote a high number of grafts and then not implant them all.