Can anyone give some thoughts on a hair transplant for my situation?

Hi all, I'm 23 and am strongly considering a hair transplant within the next few years (likely at the "minimum-recommended" age of of 25). I would appreciate some initial thoughts from the community on expectations, concerns, etc. I have been on finasteride for ~14 months now and plan to continue using it (no side effects). I have also recently started dermarolling (~2 months). I haven't really noticed my hair get better since starting fin, but I also haven't noticed it get worse.

I attached some photos of my current hair, as well as my hair from just before starting fin. The photos with short hair (first 12 photos) are current and the photos with longer hair (last 4 photos) are from 14 months ago. Unfortunately, the large difference in length makes it difficult to compare (at least for me). The shorter hair was just cut at 1/8" on sides and 3/16" on top.

Obviously a proper consultation is necessary for a better answer, and I will get a few proper consultations before proceeding, but does anyone have any initial thoughts on my situation? Would it be reasonable to expect to get to the point where I can grow my hair out without noticeable thinning? Am I doomed (in terms of hair) long-term if I'm balding at 23? Is it better to wait until after 25? Do hair transplants work better or worse than average for my hair type? Etc.

20201023_173945.jpg

20201023_173847.jpg

20201023_173417.jpg

20201023_173942.jpg

20201023_173842.jpg

20201023_173842 (1).jpg

20201023_173920.jpg

20201023_173836.jpg

20201023_173947.jpg

20201023_173427.jpg

20201023_173949.jpg

20201023_173435.jpg

top2.jpg

crown.jpg

hairline2.jpg

top.jpeg

Edited by mrwantsmorehair

Your hair quality and loss level was very similar to mine at that age (see my story in my links below), but good for you for getting on fin!  Stay on it regardless if you get a transplant or not.  I'd say it's pretty obvious you'll end up a NW6.  Don't get a HT for a few years still and consider the following in the meantime:

FUE would be the obvious choice if you want to sport a short hairstyle, because FUT will give you a strip scar.  My strip scar(s) is not pencil thin, but it doesn't prohibit me from going to a guard 3/4 in the back.  If you actually end up a NW6 you'll likely want/need as many grafts as possible, which means multiple procedures.  Will have you the means (i.e. $$$) to get 2-3 or more transplants?  I've had 7 HT's over the past 12 years because like you I have aggressive loss and it continues even after a successful procedure.  Are you open to maxing out on strip (FUT) before going to FUE to maximize your donor area?  Are you willing to risk permanent shock loss to your already compromised native hair on top with a surgery?  These are all important questions to be asking.

Lastly and most importantly.... do not let money or location be the deciding factor in who you choose to do your surgery.  Do has many in-person consultations you can with top tier docs (4 or 5 at least) to determine who is the most talented, dedicated, and ethical surgeon.  Hope this helps and all the best!

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• Valued Contributor

First of all congratulations to have to wisdom beyond your age to wait until 25 before considering a hair transplant. Secondly congratulations that you can tolerate finasteride and I would stay on this drug 'religiously.' Whether you want to add minoxidil is really up to you. You may actually grow back some hair that you have lost. If/when you choose to have a hair transplant please make sure you have consulted as many doctors that you can and NEVER be afraid to ask as many questions as you can. Educate yourself as much as possible about the hair transplant industry and stay on this site and keep yourself updated. In two years better drugs may and probably will be coming out. You are doing all of the right things. Congratulations once more and I look forward to any further posts from you!

• Like 1

Btw, I know how much this sucks at 23.  You just stopped getting zits and now this happens... and to make matters worse your best friends all still have their hair.  Stay strong and optimistic.

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I really like your sensible approach to your hair situation. Your not rushing In to a transplant before 25 and your already on Fin. 
The key thing like you mentioned is that since being on Fin you have not seemed to have lost anymore. 
So you have a couple of years to consult with some top Drs and discuss a transplant. Your also not mentioning lowering your hairline so it would appear your going to have a realistic goal in mind. 
I wish other younger people facing hair loss would have your excellent approach. 

• Like 1

I will advice you to ponder an alternative route. Buzz it down, grow a beard, go to the gym and build muscle. You are in an optimal age for that. Looks like you have a good headshape and a good beard also.

Grow your hair out at age 28-29 and reassess the situation. Maybe you are a good candidate for a HT then.

Thanks for all the positive and helpful responses! To answer a few questions/comments so far:

• Yes, I have the financial means to get multiple HTs and pay for high quality.
  • Yes, I would not attempt a hairline lowering unless multiple doctors suggested it (which I do not expect to happen).
  • I haven't had success growing out a full beard in the past. It gets really itchy and isn't as thick as I would like. If I shave my hair further down, I'll probably go for the Jason Statham stubble beard look.
  • Thanks 1

Donor looks a bit patchy so I'd get that evaluated in person by a high end coalition doctor recommended by this site.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day