FUT with PRP sessions afterwards

5 minutes ago, Westview said:

I have also heard of people having excessive shock loss after PRP and saying it wasnt worth it

Nobody is going to have shock loss from PRP. They're not making incisions in your head like they do with surgery, just injections. Any hair that sheds after a PRP treatment will either come back (likely thicker) or was already walking "dead" anyway.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Nobody is going to have shock loss from PRP. They're not making incisions in your head like they do with surgery, just injections. Any hair that sheds after a PRP treatment will either come back (likely thicker) or was already walking "dead" anyway.

I heard the excessive blood flow from PRP injections can cause excessive DHT around native hair follicles that are sensitive to DHT, which can cause them to shed

17 hours ago, Westview said:

I have also heard of people having excessive shock loss after PRP and saying it wasnt worth it

Interesting, I’m sure that’s possible for some. The data seems strong however that it dramatically decreases time to density: 

In PRP treated group, after 1 month 60% of thepatients (n = 12) showed >75% density in comparison to none in non-PRP group." ... "After 6 months of hair transplant, all the patients (n = 20) had more than 75% follicle growth, wherein non-PRP group only 20% (n = 4) of patients showed more than 75% growth and rest 80% of the patients had follicle growth in the range on 50–75% [Figures [Figures33 and and4].4]. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064679/

• Like 1

I'm feeling a very weird tingling in the right side scalp. Not sure if it's good or bad but it's not present in any other transplanted regions.

Overall, I think I've made it past the sensitive days following the operation and the grafts that are currently present are secure. I have become more comfortable feeling them and it's a little crazy! Just thousands of thick stubs surrounding my hair line. I will try and get a picture soon but am still a little timid to comb my existing hair off of them.

I am also starting to pat shampoo on top of the grafts and even lightly work the suds in. I even let the shower head water come into contact with the grafts momentarily! I'm just going to slowly ease into treating the grafts like my normal hair and will probably be at that point in about a week. I'm hoping to restart minox soon as I haven't done it in 3 weeks at this point.

Pics soon!

I felt comfortable enough slicking back my hair in the shower, was very nervewrecking. Here is where I’m at 11 days in. 

It’s hard to see the grafts since he really worked them into my existing hairline. I don’t see much scabbing but I feel it. It’s kind of weird, I was shampooing my hair and there is just this thick patch of stubs that encase my hairline. I’ve also allowed the shower water to come into contact with the grafts slightly. 

I’m most likely going to start minox again next week. I just want all potential scabs/open wounds to be healed before applying minoxidil to them.

Here’s to the wait game.

DA1EDA32-FB42-4D58-8574-C95A12E92AB5.jpeg

6E74A672-D202-4E29-8899-839934C8AAC9.jpeg

18FEFA1C-7120-4D3E-AF70-A5E807C85C1D.jpeg

A81B1762-7D30-4DC7-BCF1-03F51477F394.jpeg

2E1556CB-9F69-4A28-8223-D8A98BDA0181.jpeg

Looks about right so far. It's obviously harder to tell with unshaven transplants but you look like you're doing a fine job of cleaning in these photos.

Have you mentioned how old you are? Didn't see that in the original post.

• Like 1

Kind of having a little freak out. Was celebrating thanks giving and a little nephew of mine hit my head smack dab on the grafts with a tether all. It wasn’t too hard but am still nervous. Really hoping this didn’t knock out any of the grafts. I’m on day 13 at this point :/

21 minutes ago, living_tribunal said:

Kind of having a little freak out. Was celebrating thanks giving and a little nephew of mine hit my head smack dab on the grafts with a tether all. It wasn’t too hard but am still nervous. Really hoping this didn’t knock out any of the grafts. I’m on day 13 at this point :/

I believe by day 13 they should be totally secure but feel free to check with the clinic.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
22 minutes ago, living_tribunal said:

I think you’re good. Those grafts are pretty safe in there at this point. I can empathize with your emotional trauma, though. I went to meet Dr Arocha for my two week follow up and to get my sutures removed and as I was leaving I smacked my head on the car as I was getting in. It might’ve been the first time in my life I have ever even done it...and I did it at literally the most inopportune time. It didn’t hurt the grafts though. There were safe and snug in my scalp at that point. And they all grew.

I think you’re good. 🙂

Edited by Steeeve
  • Like 1

Thank y'all for making me feel better lol. It seems like the hair is still there. I must admit, it's very bizarre running my fingers through my scalp. There is my normal hair and then this big thick patch of stubs. 

I have noticed a lot of scabbing coming loose. It looks more like crust and is just caught up by my hair/barely hanging on. I have started to work shampoo into my grafts and lightly massage them. I'm shampooing daily at this point as well. I don't want to pick the scabs/crust, just let it come loose and work it's way out on its own by shampooing and massaging. 

Just a quick update. Been washing my hair every day and massaging the grafts when I shampoo. I’ve also resumed minox both on my existing hair and the new grafts.

The crusting has gotten a little crazy. I’m not concerned but it’s interesting that all the crust is coming off so late. Not sure if I should be worried however since I’m 2 days away from week 3. The crusts are for the most part not connected to the graft anymore but stuck in my existing hair. I don’t want to pick them out or anything so my plan is to just keep shampooing daily and massaging the grafts with the suds.

Here are some pictures.

B50F0526-22BA-43D2-9CE9-94C2669F979A.jpeg

D2FF6622-7838-4BE1-9573-8ACD9DF5F55A.jpeg

E648D258-1D54-40C8-A929-DDAE5B3D0159.jpeg

Edited by living_tribunal

• Valued Contributor

Everything is looking on point, however, I would really start working to get those crusts off at this point. There’s a video I was going to try and share the link for; I think it was SPEX’s YouTube page, where he shows himself massaging the grafts off of his scalp. I couldn’t find it but I believe it is also on your post op instructions that Dr. Arocha have to you but you should be totally good at this point to try and gently pull those scabs down off of your scalp. 

Edited by Steeeve
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Steeeve said:

Everything is looking on point, however, I would really start working to get those crusts off at this point. There’s a video I was going to try and share the link for; I think it was SPEX’s YouTube page, where he shows himself massaging the grafts off of his scalp. I couldn’t find it but I believe it is also on your post op instructions that Dr. Arocha have to you but you should be totally good at this point to try and gently pull those scabs down off of your scalp. 

I’ve been massaging the crusts to get them off, and for the most part they are disconnected but just stuck in my air. I just don’t want to pick them off. I don’t mind how it looks just want to be cautious per some other people’s comments regarding taking grafts out when picking them.

I’ve also started using nizoral to speed up getting rid of them. I might comb my hair to see if that helps. 

While applying minox and another time when scratching my head, I noticed transplanted hairs with crust on them come out. This is why I need to be careful being harsh on the transplanted hair. I know that these hairs most likely didn’t contain the graft but I just can’t be certain. I don’t want to see any of that. 

• Valued Contributor
42 minutes ago, living_tribunal said:

While applying minox and another time when scratching my head, I noticed transplanted hairs with crust on them come out. This is why I need to be careful being harsh on the transplanted hair. I know that these hairs most likely didn’t contain the graft but I just can’t be certain. I don’t want to see any of that. 

Those hairs are just shedding. They will grow back.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

At this point those grafts are really safe and secure in your scalp. There is very little you can do to damage them unless you’re getting a sunburn or hitting your head really hard. If the scabs are completely off your scalp that’s probably okay. You can afford to start rubbing a little more vigorously, though. Just not too much. 🙂 The shedding of some grafts is inevitable. I mean, even if you lose the majority of them via the initial shed the odds are in your favor of them growing back faster due to the PRP.

Edited by Steeeve
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steeeve said:

At this point those grafts are really safe and secure in your scalp. There is very little you can do to damage them unless you’re getting a sunburn or hitting your head really hard. If the scabs are completely off your scalp that’s probably okay. You can afford to start rubbing a little more vigorously, though. Just not too much. 🙂 The shedding of some grafts is inevitable. I mean, even if you lose the majority of them via the initial shed the odds are in your favor of them growing back faster due to the PRP.

Well losing the graft means that it won't grow hair altogether. Losing the hair from a graft however is no problem. I remember reading somewhere how to detect if the hair contained a graft or if it's just a hair. 

Regardless, everything I've read says to not pick and to just carefully massage while washing your way and let the healing do its thing. Still trying to be careful, just don't want to lose any grafts. 

I know I sound pretty paranoid at this point but it's a product of not knowing if anything is wrong and not being able to confirm if any of the hairs that have come out contain the graft. 

I suppose time will tell but even then you don't know if you could have done anything better.

I really want to thank everyone for the help! This is newfound territory for myself and the experience from everyone here has really aided everything from my procedure, to doctor, to post-op care decisions. You've all certainly quelled my anxiety as well. I think the mental games are worse than the pain for hts. Feeling confident that things will start looking good in 2-3 months.

I totally understand why you're nervous, but it's probably not great for the crusts to stay stuck in your hair for that long either. At this point you should not be losing any grafts. I've never heard any surgeon suggest that they're anything but totally secure in your head this late in the game. If they weren't they wouldn't be getting the necessary blood supply and would be dead anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

I totally understand why you're nervous, but it's probably not great for the crusts to stay stuck in your hair for that long either. At this point you should not be losing any grafts. I've never heard any surgeon suggest that they're anything but totally secure in your head this late in the game. If they weren't they wouldn't be getting the necessary blood supply and would be dead anyway.

True, they do all mention not to pick them as well so I'm just trying to let nature do its thing. And I am massaging them while washing my hair daily and even kind of lightly massaging them throughout the day when my hair is dry. Most of the crusting is no longer connected to the hair just stuck in my existing hair and can be combed out. Maybe just shows that it's healing. Who knows. I don't mind the uglies though. I had planned on staying inside for a while anyways.

• Valued Contributor

Definitely don’t pick at the grafts. I’m not suggesting that but if you’re worried about losing grafts at this point you’re in good shape. The time that you need to worry most is really that first week and even then you would have to really try to pull them out. The first night is the biggest concern as that’s the easiest time to dislodge them. Trust me, though, if you lost a graft you would know...there would be so much blood. Like, SO much blood. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steeeve said:

Definitely don’t pick at the grafts. I’m not suggesting that but if you’re worried about losing grafts at this point you’re in good shape. The time that you need to worry most is really that first week and even then you would have to really try to pull them out. The first night is the biggest concern as that’s the easiest time to dislodge them. Trust me, though, if you lost a graft you would know...there would be so much blood. Like, SO much blood. 

Thank you for making me feel better 😆