Is it possible to transplant hair where there was originally none?

Let's say my donor area allows for me to cover my baldness, which perhaps I augment with some SMP. Could it be possible to use any excess that the donor area has in order to create a better hairline, by implanting hair where there was originally none (so places on the head where the hair was NOT lost due to baldness).

Thanks guys!

• Administrators

Im not sure I understand the question. You can transplant hair on a completely bald scalp if that’s what you mean. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think what he means is lowering his hairline to a point where it has never been before, even during childhood. Yes you can, BUT the question is how natural it will look. Alot of younger guys looking to get their first transplant want to go in this direction. Its rarely a good idea, unless you have some serious proportional asymmetries in your head/face/hair, most attempts at this are going to look off/strange in the long run. You really need to consider that for the vast majority of guys, including the ones that don't have male pattern baldness, as they age have at least some hairline receding from what they had during childhood as their facial bones mature, etc., and that is what looks natural and the best for those looking at you.

Yes you won’t have enough grafts to do it. Also you need to plan a hairline not just for now but for the future. 
If your lucky enough to have good coverage and results you can “tweak” it at a later stage. But most of us don’t have the donor capacity for this.

There are some factors -like how old you are, how long have you been losing hair, how aggressive is the loss, are you taking any dht blocker medication like finasteride to help stabalize your loss.

I would meet with an ethical skilled doctor and show them what you want to do and see if they agree. How we see ourselves and how others see us can vary widely. Feel free to post some pics here, we can give you some 3rd party feedback too.

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. 

I post here some pictures of me, would appreciate any feedback. 

My idea, if it makes sense, is to get maximum benefit from minoxidil and finasteride, then use SMP and least hair to cover back of head, and hopefully have enough to lower my hairline and get a thick front. Hopefully I am not talking nonsense. 

Edit: don't know if it matters, but I've been thinning probably no more than 2 years at this point (and used no treatment in the past) 

Edited by want2stopatnor5
Remove pics for privacy

• Administrators

Lowering the hairline unnaturally will pose a series a problems, for one is it will look fake and obvious like below

image.jpeg

If your sides drop you’ll be out of options and be left with a ridiculously low island of hair. Overall, it’s a horrible strategy.

image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:03 PM, giegnosiganoe said:

How much are you looking to lower it by? And how does your hair look when it's grown out?

As much as possible to make my forehead look smaller while compromising the least on density. 

I add a photo of how I look with grown hair and where ideally I would like the line to be, but I guess hoping for that much is being delusional haha

Edited by want2stopatnor5
Remove pics for privacy

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, want2stopatnor5 said:

As much as possible to make my forehead look smaller while compromising the least on density. 

I add a photo of how I look with grown hair and where ideally I would like the line to be, but I guess hoping for that much is being delusional haha

IMG_20201020_233151.jpg

IMG_20201020_233126.jpg

That is an absurd plan. You have a natural hairline around 7-8cm which is normal. You will end up like this image.jpeg

• Haha 1

View my thread

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, want2stopatnor5 said:

@Melvin-Moderator ok this looks pretty horrible. I was thinking something more like that, but I guess I am getting carried away and expecting too much

883224_v9_bb.jpg

You are caucasian, caucasians naturally have higher hairlines, even women. Here is something more along what looks natural for someone caucasian. Here’s an example of @pkipling

image.jpeg

Now imagine if he said he wanted a hairline like drake. It wouldn’t look right or most importantly natural.

image.jpeg

View my thread

Makes absolute sense, thanks for pointing out to me! 

I just feel like I have a huge forehead (it becomes more apparent when I don't have a long beard) but I guess I should strive to get back my natural hairline and then choose a particular haircut to hide it instead.

Thanks for your time man! 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, want2stopatnor5 said:

Makes absolute sense, thanks for pointing out to me! 

I just feel like I have a huge forehead (it becomes more apparent when I don't have a long beard) but I guess I should strive to get back my natural hairline and then choose a particular haircut to hide it instead.

Thanks for your time man! 

Yes, restoring what is natural for you is the way to go! Glad I could help you. 

View my thread

Thanks for the shoutout, Melvin. :) And for what it's worth, I had the exact same mindset when I first started looking into getting a HT (LOL) - and Dr. Mohebi quickly talked some sense into me at my consultation. While I think there can be value for some men (and women, especially) in slightly lowering the hairline beyond what they naturally have - particularly for people who may have a "large" forehead and have very minimal hair loss to address -  the key is to make sure that no matter what, it properly frames the face and looks natural... And a good surgeon will always steer you in the right direction. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56