Hi so Im 19 years old and I have noticed my hairline moving back and my hair is falling off everyday. And my father is norwood 7. My brother who is 34 also has baldness. He had a hair transplant without taking any meds. So his transplant looks pluggy to cover all of his head and I don’t want my hair to be like that. I think Im norwood 2 which is very bad for my age. Im thinking of starting to take propacia when Im 22 take it for a year. Then I will have a hair transplant with Dr. Koray Erdogan when Im 23. The reason I don’t want to start propacia is that my body is still devoloping (most of the major development is complate I know) but I don’t wanna mess up my body devolopment. I will be sharing photos of my hair.Hairline

BAB47D15-4B69-4F28-B33F-BEABC93F4DE2.jpeg

7C8991DB-731C-4EB2-8C21-E934BC8C76F4.jpeg

EECCAF4F-D008-435B-9093-11E9ED6F6B4C.jpeg

6C4E5326-D0D1-417A-A1D1-7DA550B53E2F.jpeg

0DC42943-43E9-4C22-93F2-4A2203B59754.jpeg

D462FC3D-AC59-4905-8295-CEF81155DA03.jpeg

• Administrators

Why wait till you’re 22, get on finasteride now, and forget about getting a hair transplant until you’re at least 25.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would suggest you wait until 25 like Melvin says - meds are up to you - you have a good head of hair and it may just be developing into an adult hairline - by 25 you wil hav3e a better idea.  22 is too soon and a waste of your money.  

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hi. Im kinda scared of taking propacia while Im 19 I don’t want to mess up my body. Also I want to ask something. 1. What is my norwood chart placement? 2. Is taking propacia while Im 19 is safe? Also thank you for your replies. Hair loss at my age sucks. But this is a path some of us have to walk through... 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Noname2001 said:

Hi. Im kinda scared of taking propacia while Im 19 I don’t want to mess up my body. Also I want to ask something. 1. What is my norwood chart placement? 2. Is taking propacia while Im 19 is safe? Also thank you for your replies. Hair loss at my age sucks. But this is a path some of us have to walk through... 

You’re currently a Norwood 2, if you get on propecia now you may not need a hair transplant until your 30’s. It will maintain the hair you have logterm. You definitely should not even think of surgery at your age and family history without being on propecia for a significant period of time, and yes its safe to take at 19.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Have you had a consultation with any surgeons and discussed the Propecia concerns with them? I can't speak with certainty, but they may be unfounded and I agree with Melvin and Voxman that the longer you can hold off on getting a HT, the better you'll be. And while family history can certainly be an indicator of where you may be heading in terms of your own hair loss, it's by no means a guarantee. I say that to remind you that while it will be useful to remain cautious and mindful of the state of your hair, but also remain open to the very real possibility that your hair won't do what theirs does. The bigger indicator would be to look at what their hair looked like when they were your age and see how similar you all are. Based on the photos, you seem to have a fair amount of thick hair, so even at the point you do need a HT, you seem to be in good shape as things stand now. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Dont fall for the trap.  Think of hair  restoration at 29- 30 when it easier to see where it is headed.  Till then use meds and im sure if they work they can hold your hairs well.

i went around that age and guess what, ive been a repair trying to get this sorted ever since.  From known docs too.  It is not cut and dry like some make it seem.  I have your hair type too.  Best of luck!

Plesse get into medicines as quick as possible n save your youth... I was a fool not to take hairloss seriously.. thinking my dad wasnt bald so I wouldn't be too.. I was of your age n It started for me n now I'm nw4 literally waiting for my hair transplant n on medc currently...

Well the problem is my parents. It will be hard to convince them that I need the take meds. And my sister is getting married in one month. Is it okay to wait until my sister get married then talk this matter with my parents? It will be easier to convince them after my sister is married. Also I don’t want a norwood 0 or norwood 1 hairline. I just want to keep my hair as it is. So I will be taking your advices. Thank you guys!

• Valued Contributor

You are in the same position I was in at 19. You have good head of hair and you are too you to 'psychologically' have a hair transplant at this stage in your life. However one thing separates us. You haven't been butchered yet and I have. Learn by my mistakes. You need to do two things now. One is to start finasteride now (and you could even add minoxidil now as well). Secondly, forget about Turkey, let alone a hair transplant at this stage! If any surgeon were to accept you now with the head of hair you possess at 19 you should be reporting them. Not paying them to ruin your scalp. All the best.

Hopefully 1 month from now on I will be taking propacia. It will be hard to convince my parents though... But I will listen to you guys. This is why I signed up to this forum. To get advice from people who suffered hair loss like me. And learn from them.

A couple of things to consider.  There seems to be extensive history of loss. And, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  That's a certainty. Fortunately you are still enjoying a lot of native hair.  Like others have suggested, get on a medical regimen.  Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the modalities we typically discuss when dealing with this debilitating condition.  Most believe there is synergy when these are used simultaneously.  And, it takes a good year to see what they can do.  Your idea of just using meds for 1 year is a total waste of time and money. Let me explain,

Say you are destined to lose all your hair in 1 year. You get on meds and you experience retention.  A year later you look exactly the same.  If you get off the meds, you will lose all the hair you would have lost.  So the idea, once you decide to do meds, you have to do them for as long as you want to keep your hair.  Getting on and off meds is just plain stupidity.

Next thing to keep in mind is donor availability.  Donor is finite and eventually you'll run out.  No one with an advanced pattern has enough donor hair to allow for a full set of hair.  It is imperative you get on meds.

If your parents are concerned, bring them with you to a consultation with a hair professional.  I am certain they'll get on board once the doctor educates all of you.

I'll try not to parrot the helpful posts from others in this thread.

Put simply

Do not: have a transplant right now.

Do: start Finasteride ASAP and stick with it. There's a very good chance you will have a bit of regrowth because you look like you're pretty early into thinning. If Finasteride alone isn't enough there are some other options like @LaserCap mentioned. You really don't look like you've lost enough hair to justify what is definitely a major surgery.

You aren't still developing in any way that will be impacted by Finasteride. Your brain is still reaching the end stages of development but you've already been through puberty.